Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Look what I found... (NOT PCI) Hallmark Morgan Dollar

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 28, 2020 10:53AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I picked this up this weekend.
1881-O Morgan dollar - Pretty darn clean for MS63.

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty nice looking coin.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice coin!

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a winner for a 63. Great luster and strike

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find... That Morgan has plenty of luster. Every once in a while, those Hallmark slabs turn up. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and holder!

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@coinJP said:
    Nice coin and holder!

+1! Maybe a little prooflike on the reverse too?

Technically the holder is just "Hallmark". It was its own company until it closed and sold its slabbing equipment to PCI (hence why the slabs look like OG PCI).

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2020 6:59AM

Ah-h-h, the old PCI saga continues... Nice Morgan! What pop it most certainly has. Not too long ago, I too, purchased a PCI Morgan in it's now obsolete holder. Except, mine was the "photo grade" type. Are you going to crack it out or leave in? I decided to leave mine in it's holder. B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as you didn't overpay I'd say that is one if your better purchases. A good looking coin in an old holder which itself is in great shape.

If it were mine I would use a little Goo Gone (VERY sparingly) and get the remnants of an old dealer sticker off the back.

Then I'd enjoy that coin.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

No plans to crack it - I only purchased it on a whim because I recalled reading about them being scarce on these boards. It is a 64 by today's standards i would say... my photos make it look a little scuffy but it's very clean in person.
    I am curious just how scarce these are. I found the sample slab website which talk about the versions known but that's about it.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep an eye out for Hallmark sample slabs. Those are real scarce.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Mothra454 said, this is an actual Hallmark slab and has no connection to PCI. Prior to Hallmark closing (1990?) PCI used the large slabs with the photo as show by Joeycoins in this thread. After Hallmark closed they sold the rights to their holder to PCI. PCI removed the Hallmark name from the slab and used it as their own. Later, sometime after 2000, the rights to the slab were bought by the Dominion Grading Service and were used by them until they closed a few years later. Dominion Grading Service never used the PCI name even though they held the rights to it. The rights to the slab were then bought by another company that I believe used the PCI name again.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file