Home Autographs Forum

Ruth Bader Ginsburg SIgned Supreme Court Card

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a signature from perhaps 1994 or 1995. It was in my collection up until a couple days ago... I hadn't been aware that she apparently stopped signing around 1997. Anyone know the story of why she stopped?

Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently she caught on that some people were selling them. If course, at the time they vakue would have been pretty low and once she stopped signing the value went up. She inadvertantly promoted the behavior she opposed. :/

I am trying to do an inventory of my RBGs. I have a few that I can play my hands on and possibly a few others I need to dig out of the archives.

Sort of like Neil Armstrong. who stopped signing a couple decades before he passed away. The value of his signature skyrocketed even while was alive.

I am not sure that RBG will have the same longterm value, though.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭

99.9 % of Photos are from collection files.
    Can't keep pulling out coins of their air tight holders.
    Patina rule # 1

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 19,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

The end of signing seems to have roughly coincided with the advent of online auctions. Once the signers realized their signatures were quickly being sold online many seemed to have cut off signing. I don't blame them for doing so.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The end of signing seems to have roughly coincided with the advent of online auctions. Once the signers realized their signatures were quickly being sold online many seemed to have cut off signing. I don't blame them for doing so.

I think the logical answer is to sign anything for anyone! Except a legal courier of course. :p

@ms70 said:

@291fifth said:

I think the logical answer is to sign anything for anyone! Except a legal courier of course. :p

A couple celebrities took this route over the years and it worked to depress the market for their signature.