Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! $400?

Good thing I bought mine for the issue price of $65 off of eBay back in 2002 when no one wanted it.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

$300 - $325 seems to be the most recent sales prices. $400 is a bit rich, but find another one...

• Options

Interesting how this reference has appreciated more (percentage wise) than any of my coins in this series and most others.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:
    Interesting how this reference has appreciated more (percentage wise) than any of my coins in this series and most others.

Funny how many of the books are more scarce than the coins. Yonaka’s work has been a huge knowledge build for Spanish Milled coinage and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Options

To my recollection, the print run for Gilboy's book was 500. My concurrent inference was that it was too high for the time, not just from the price I paid but reading on another occasion that World Numismatics had multiples copies available.

The increased price of the book is a good indication of increased interest in the series.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

Yonaka’s work has been a huge knowledge build for Spanish Milled coinage and I would recommend it to anyone.

Yes and I think it could also increase interest in any series he covers.

Gilboy's book is really good but it doesn't accurately reflect the scarcity of the series, either relatively or absolutely. He wasn't very specific but I see no possibility that the more common coins (according to his rarity scale) are as common as he claims, other than 8R. For the minors, maybe (big maybe) some from Mexico but almost certainly not otherwise. For him to be correct would mean that many of these dates are more common than the equivalent Liberty Seated denominations.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of now, it looks like they have more books than coins for sale.

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad I bought my copy many years ago, soon after it was published. If I remember correctly, it cost approximately $90 back then. It has been a good source of background information.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

Once things are back to normal (in-person) the PDF is more valuable [read: practical] than hard cover. However, I do love my autographed hard covers of @EagleEye Rick's Flying Eagle & Indian Cents. There's no substitute for the feel and smell (yes, I said it) of a quality book. And lately, with all the Zoom-ing, everyone in my household is trying to avoid screen time by any means.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE