Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

T206 Sweet Caporal cigarette unopened carton.... Investment Opportunity. Partners wanted!

SammyCSammyC Posts: 112 ✭✭

Is this the Holy Grail that can pull out T206s?

https://memorylaneinc.com/site/bids/bidplace?itemid=54383

This unopened carton even has 12 packs and 12 chances of pulling Wagner, Plank, Cobb, Johnson..etc If anyone is interested, I am looking for partners to split this carton.

From this youtube video, that Jordan Sweet Caporal pack does has a similar design (the half circle raising run "logo") as that unopened carton. Has anyone seen any carton like that before? Any thought??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=vtFOJgCdvOg&feature=emb_logo

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a risky purchase. May not even contain cards.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

That carton may be from the ‘20s. Check this thread:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262450

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd wager 0 cards possible.
    Will do best as a tobacco display

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@SammyC said:

Is this the Holy Grail that can pull out T206s?

This unopened carton even has 12 packs and 12 chances of pulling Wagner, Plank, Cobb, Johnson..etc If anyone is interested, I am looking for partners to split this carton.

From this youtube video, that Jordan Sweet Caporal pack does has a similar design (the half circle raising run "logo") as that unopened carton. Has anyone seen any carton like that before? Any thought??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=vtFOJgCdvOg&feature=emb_logo

I love watching that rip!

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Is that video legit? The card looks worn.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

wow.. someone paid $750 for an unopened pack and this carton has 12 packs, that's like $9000.

• Options

eBay has a graded pack asking for $6995. A non-graded one for $1400. hmm.. that's kind of out of my budget unless I can find 11 more people to split this carton.

• Options

save your money and buy a pack of Camels

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2020 6:33AM

I know there are experts on the stamps on packs from that era. Any of them chimed in yet?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

I found 1 other collector who is willing to get 3 packs from this 12 packs carton case and I am planning to keep 3 packs as well. With that said we are still hoping to find more collectors to split the remaining 6 packs with us. Pls let us know if u are interested. You can just keep 1 or take all 6 packs, lets work something out together!!!

• Options

Are you the consignor of this item or something? You are pimping the hell out of it.

• Options

LOL. No. but we will try to be the new owners of them. Are u interested in teaming up with us?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not interested. But if you buy it and decide to bust the packs, it sure would be fun to do a live rip on here.

The live rip would no doubt set a record for the number of CU card collectors online here at any one time.

Good luck! :)

• Options

Is there even a guarantee that there is a card in each of the packs?

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

The advertising appears to be from the late teens when they included these generic cards..

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    Is there even a guarantee that there is a card in each of the packs?

No guarantee. it appears even probable that there will be no cards included.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Well if ya buy a pack, buy a PSA T206 card somewhere along with it...then you're guaranteed to get a card. 😉

• Options

I still don't understand why unopened Sweet Caporal packs are consistently sold for $3k+ if people know there's no cards inside. Some people just like to gamble or they want a piece of history?? LOL. If the current auction price holds that would only be the cost of 2 unopened packs and getting the rest of 10 packs for "free". idk...

• Options

@SammyC said:
    I still don't understand why unopened Sweet Caporal packs are consistently sold for $3k+ if people know there's no cards inside. Some people just like to gamble or they want a piece of history?? LOL. If the current auction price holds that would only be the cost of 2 unopened packs and getting the rest of 10 packs for "free". idk...

There’s enough people out there that know exactly what caporals have cards in them. The “Ask your father” campaign from my understanding was from the 1920’s. Did this “Ask your Father” run during 1909-1911?
    Did they have cards in them in the 20’s? I didnt think they did.
    Also, if there were people who KNEW there were cards in there, would this not be substantially higher in auction price?
    It’s just too much money (for me) to spend on a “what if” and all you get is some stank-ass rotten tobacco.
    Can you provide ANY background on this carton? I mean, ANYTHING?
    I’m not trying to dissuade anyone from joining you; merely just expressing my concerns. It’s not that I wouldn’t do this with you, it’s just too much risk.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got to think that if it was possible that these packs contained T206 cards, the auction house would advertise them as such. They are not going to leave the potential of that much money on the table. If two-card packs from the 1950s can sell for five figure prices, then one-card T206 packs are going to sell for substantially more than $400 each.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

I would think no one on earth can be 100% certain any (not just this carton particular) unopened tobacco cartons/packs have cards in them or not until someone have the guts opening them.

I found this item from Robert Edwards and it was a very interesting item. That Piedmont pack in auction were manufactured post t206 era but it did contained a t206 Herman Armbruster inside.

https://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2008/spring/319/post-1910-piedmont-pack-t206-card-enclosed

• Options

This is a very interesting thread and, in fact, may be one of the very same cartons up for auction, and should shed some light on this IMHO. Read the whole thread.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=61847

• Options

thx for the info. With the current price, if it ends up being ~$500/pack, that would be a big bargain consider single unopened pack consistently sold for $1400 til $6000 range regardless they contain cards (or claim to have cards within) or not.

I might try to get a line of credit if this carton stay below 5 figures. WIsh me luck.

• Options

@SammyC said:
    thx for the info. With the current price, if it ends up being ~$500/pack, that would be a big bargain consider single unopened pack consistently sold for $1400 til $6000 range regardless they contain cards (or claim to have cards within) or not.

I might try to get a line of credit if this carton stay below 5 figures. WIsh me luck.

Best of luck to you! Last thing Anybody wants to see is someone getting burned on this. If they do in fact contain cards everyone is going to know that they are going to be enjoyed for sure!

• Options

Just found another "investor" taking two packs. We need 1 or 2 more investors to take the rest of them, 4 packs to be exact!.

• Options

SOLD FOR $10,010.40