New Bust Halves ... Overton # Checks
A few packages have shown up over the last couple weeks ... some interesting treasures inside, none of which I've shown here yet. Some I like more than others, but all are attractive (to me) for what they are.
There are a couple board members here who have made me sick, and I currently am running a bit of a fever . I won't mention any names, but you can probably guess if you think about it.
Looking for help confirming Overton #'s ... and we can play Guess The Grade, Show Me Yours, Tell Me I'm Crazy, ... you know ... the regular let's just have a show and tell thread! ![]()
__
First up ... 1830 O-108 ?


__
Next one ... 1833 O-109 ?


__
And then ... 1836 O-106a ?


__
And finally, the prize of the bunch in my eyes, which I am also confident on the attribution ... 1834 O-108
Minor Error. This planchet did not make a complete trip through the Castaing machine. It made maybe a 300 or so degree trip, rather than the full 360. There is a corresponding flat spot above S6, S7 and the cap as well. The edge got only part of the lettering it was supposed to, and reads "Fifty Cents OLRF A Dollar", where Or and Half have been mangled, cut -off and overlapped, and unusually large blank areas have been left."


__
“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”
Todd - BHNC #242
Comments
A+ on attribution, Todd. And great choices. You're on a roll. Keep it up and we'll have to coerce you to join the BHNC.
I'd call them 53 (30-108), 55 (33-109), 55 (36-106a) and 53 (34-108). Give or take.
Edge errors are very fun. Too bad we have to struggle with slabs. It is edge lettering that helped prove the emission sequence.
Mine are also AU. I won't post them here.
Lance.
Looks like your an expert now Todd. How many die varieties do you have? I think edge errors are cool. My favorite are triple edge letters or the extremely rare plain edge. No doubt Lance that slabs have decreased greatly our study of the third die.
Don't ask to see @GoBust's coins. We might as well go home.
Lance.
@lkeigwin Thank you Lance, was hoping you might chime in. And like usual, almost spot on with what the graders thought. Glad I got them all right. Between you and @drddm I could be in trouble on that invite if I ever get there!
@GoBust No, not an expert, but am happy to know the studying paid off. These last ones make nine, so I'm a long ways away from that interesting number, which seems a little crazy now, but based on other series I have collected, may not be so crazy still. For now just trying to find nice and mostly wholesome AU's that work for my tastes ... maybe try for a date set with extras first.
Lance says we ask to see yours and we might as well go home. I have to go to work for a while this morning, so maybe when I get home I'll see some of yours? I'm not sure I've had the pleasure yet.
“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”
Todd - BHNC #242
You certainly have good taste in choosing which bust halves you pick up, Todd.
All of them look to have original, crusty surfaces, which you obviously go after. You can never go wrong if you stay focused on the quality halves you’re selecting.
I’m hoping you’ll get the fever
one day because the BHNC could sure use people like you. Although you are quite a ways off in number, be careful of that slippery slope. Bust halves are definitely addicting!
And I agree with Lance, if GoBust starts showing us his bust halves, we will all likely need to bust out some tissues to wipe off the drool from our mouths.
Great coins, Todd....love them all!
Dave
Nice coins!