Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe the purchase will be for someone that wants to make up some mints sets, sell them on EBay as original mint sets and they will quadruple their investment.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe someone didn't read the description and thinks they're getting a proof set.

thefinn
  • Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

when i worked in clearwater florida i would go to a coin shop that had a whole wall dedicated to original packaging. he said most weeks it made him more money than coins did. never did understand it

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's Mike from HSN trying to promote again. :#

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow..

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just add rubber cement and presto! New, never "opened" whatever. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t actually say no coins until the description, so someone not looking carefully could be in for a surprise later.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack said:
    It doesn’t actually say no coins until the description, so someone not looking carefully could be in for a surprise later.

It does. The listing Says no coins boxes only.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

The description says it. The title does not.

@Kliao said:

@SiriusBlack said:

It does. The listing Says no coins boxes only.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something strange going on there.... Only purpose for buying the empty packaging (that I can see) is for adding coins and reselling.... Hard to believe the purchase price will be recovered... However, I am not in the business, so could be totally mistaken. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one box with postage has two stamps from the Prexie series. Many postal history collectors look for unusual rates paid with unusual combinations of the stamps. Could be that this combo of stamps is scarce.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

about 8 years ago i bought 10- 1961 proof sets that were still sealed in the original shipping box from the mint and there was very little if any premium i paid.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

So... Who is going to be the first to post a Bridgeport commem? The side that features P.T. Barnum of course...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moxie15 said:
    when i worked in clearwater florida i would go to a coin shop that had a whole wall dedicated to original packaging. he said most weeks it made him more money than coins did. never did understand it

Coins that were send in for grading but came back with lower grades than hoped for are often repackaged in original holders and then put in online auctions. The bidders think they are getting a pristine original that will get a high grade when they submit it. The process then repeats itself as more and more would be treasure seekers just end up losing money.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Title: 1950 US Silver Proof Set Coin Mint OGP ORIGINAL BOX w/ 5 Boxes and Plastics

Seems clear enough to me. Doesn't say "no coins"? True enough. There are lots of things it's not that aren't in the title, either.

• Options
    EScott83EScott83 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Explanation is simple...it's Ebay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file