Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Local coin show - exonumia purchases (Beaver, hobo, etc)

dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2020 7:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The general show report is here:
https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12715810#Comment_12715810

Bought these items at the show.

Vancouver (Washington state, not Canada) Centennial ? "North West Company" Beaver. Not sure if this is from 1924. Maybe. If so, it would qualify as a "so-called dollar" (39mm, aluminum - never looped, holed, or suspended) ? I don't recall seeing one like this before:

"Knight of the Road" / "The Unique Hobo" copper splasher. Struck on a relatively thick 34mm planchet. "DR" initials below portrait. I do not know who that is. This only cost $8 and I thought it was pretty neat (and possibly rare - I haven't seen any others):

1906 Franklin / Chicago Electrical Show souivenir. Copper, 38mm. I've seen a few of these before, usually in rough shape. This one is a lot nicer. I'm not sure why it isn't a listed (or unlisted) so-called dollar ? :

I collect Colorado exonumia, but not the "Good For" merchant tokens that much. But there are very few bi-metallics among those, so I liked this one:

1927 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad "Tom Thumb / Lord Baltimore" locomotives token. Bronze, 26mm. These are not particularly rare, but this one was nicer (and a bit cheaper) than most:

I did buy one actual US coin. 1934-D Winged Liberty Head dime, AU-58, somewhat proof-like, full bands (only $6):

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to have that hobo. It sure is different. The bi-metallic one ain't bad, either.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any bucktoothed coin is cool.
    Your's especially so.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

pretty cool copper "hobo".

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    "Knight of the Road" / "The Unique Hobo" copper splasher. Struck on a relatively thick 34mm planchet. "DR" initials below portrait. I do not know who that is. This only cost $8 and I thought it was pretty neat (and possibly rare - I haven't seen any others)

Great pieces Dan! I have and follow a number of those. I have the beaver.

For this particular piece, DR stands for Del Romines. I have a number of pieces and collect his work. I love his style.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group of exonumia. The fun stuff to collect and pricing by gut.

thefinn
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did any of you see a picture of this stuff ?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr nice variety of acquisitions. Sounds like you had a good day. Selling and buying in the same place. That beaver is very coo!. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know that Beaver token. If I had to guess the date of issue from the style I would guess 1955-1965. Might have been made as late as 1974 for the Sesquicentennial, but if so why not put that date on it as well?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice pieces....I really like that Hobo piece, never saw one like that....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file