Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for you PCGS crossover guys/gals

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a single expensive coin to PCGS for crossover consideration (crossing from NGC). I indicated the minimum grade to cross at. After a day or two in the ‘grading’ stage, I now see that it’s in the ‘Encapsulation’ stage. Would this imply it’s crossed, or am I reading way too much into the Online Submission statuses?

Thanks, Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are reading too much into it. Do not get your hopes up until you see the grades post and it says something besides "DNC"

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @DelawareDoons said; It implies that you are close to getting your answer, and nothing else.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

Thanks all, I figured I was jumping the gun just a tad.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had a number of submissions where it gets to the encapsulation, just to see that the coin was rejected. At the encapsulation stage, it gets another lookover to see if their opinions are the final opinions.

When I have submissions of multiple crossovers, I have situations where they get to encapsulation and some of the coins cross and others get rejected.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with others, nothing to confirm a crossover

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

My most recent crossover attempt went through the same. Ultimately, DNC, so it means nothing to get to the encapsulation stage, other than it is moving along through the process...

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you see “being imaged” that might give you better hope.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2020 10:38PM

“being imaged” I think is a key indication. I also had a cross over order in encapsulation right now but not “being imaged” which is not good. I remember last week I also has a order in encapsulation but was being imaged. So all of them crossed.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2020 4:00AM

@jt88 said:
    If you see “being imaged” that might give you better hope.

I had a crack-out PCGS MS64 that was being imaged for several days, it came back in a flip 94 Alt-Surf.

• Options

Getting there...’being imaged’. Hmmmmmmmm.....

Dave

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Being imaged” has always shown up as soon as my orders reached grading status. I think it’s simply an indicator that they will be imaged during the process.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2020 2:07PM

Until you see "grades ready" in green, it is not final.

• Options
    edited September 28, 2020 8:34PM

I think raw and cross “being imaged” are two different thing. Yes, for raw when in grading “being imaged” show up. My cross is in quality check then “being imaged” just show up, Very promising, haha Lol

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phil Arnold, the PCGS photographer, says that while imaging can come before or after grading (depending on the flow of product) it typically it occurs before the coins are graded. Crossover imaging, of course, happens after grading.

I think you're solid.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Phil Arnold, the PCGS photographer, says that while imaging can come before or after grading (depending on the flow of product) it typically it occurs before the coins are graded. Crossover imaging, of course, happens after grading.

I think you're solid.
    Lance.

Thank you very much.

• Options
    Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 4:13AM

I'm in the same boat as you, OP. I sent in 4 coins for crossover from NGC. They sped through the system until they hit encapsulation, where they sat for 15 working days. Now, they have been in QA for two days, the second of which now shows "Being Imaged".

That being said, does anyone know when the grades actually post?

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one I just got back.
    My question is how could they regrade it without taking it out of the holder?
    (Check the rim)

And why does my new TrueView have the old gasket on it?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 7:24AM

The cross / crackout game is risky, costs $. Would rather buy a coin / markup for retail. It’s my money on the line.

I rarely play it and only then to win (upgrade) showing minimum grade on form. I feel it’s a moot issue for coins less than say $600. Most of my slabbed coins Pcgs,followed by NGC and then some ANACS and ICG (Fairly low MV $25-$200 on A,I matl) the 4 TPG accepted by eBay, the old TTR, GC. I price the coin not the holder. There are probably people just trying to cross at same grade bc bluesheet bid for Pcgs higher than NGC for that issue /grade (and can see that). I have nothing in that situation or material enough justify expense. I do prefer PCGS and love the phone app for inventory mgt and analysis.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    The cross / crackout game is risky, costs $. Would rather buy a coin / markup for retail.

I rarely play it and only then to win (upgrade) showing minimum grade on form. I feel it’s a moot issue for coins less than say $600. Most of my slabbed coins Pcgs,followed by NGC and then some ANACS and ICG (Fairly low MV $25-$200 on A,I matl) the 4 TPG accepted by eBay, the old TTR, GC. I price the coin not the holder. There are probably people just trying to cross at same grade bc bluesheet bid for Pcgs higher than NGC for that issue /grade (and can see that). I have nothing in that situation or material enough justify expense. I do prefer PCGS and love the phone app for inventory mgt and analysis.

Your post is irrelevant to the thread.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    The cross / crackout game is risky, costs $. Would rather buy a coin / markup for retail. It’s my money on the line.

In my case, I just need it to cross at the same grade. Nothing higher. The coin in it's current holder goes for X amount of dollars. The exact same coin in a PCGS holder, for the exact same grade, goes for 9 or 10 times X. So it was a risk I was willing ot take, and why I am anxious to see grades. (Plus the fact that it is my first PCGS submission, and I am learning the process/timelines as I go.)

• Options

After three days sitting in ‘Being imaged’, it showed ‘Grades posted’ today. It crossed at VF20. It’s what I expected, although I felt it had a slight chance at 25. I’m more than happy with the 20.

Received by PCGS on Monday 9/21, grade posted 8 days later. Excellent service!

Dave

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 6:32AM

@Catbert said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    The cross / crackout game is risky, costs $. Would rather buy a coin / markup for retail.

Your post is irrelevant to the thread.

Well your no fun - your definitely off topic lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news! I hope we see it here or in the MFH Barber thread.

• Options

My grade just came out. submitted three; one crossed and two DNC.

• Options
    edited September 30, 2020 12:25PM

What DNC exactly mean? Any one got DNC cross by some more try? In the past I try to resubmit some other reasons and successfully crossed by second or third submissions. I know questionable color is hard to get crossed even if you try more if NGC has a grade on the coin.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 HUH?

Ken
  • Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Hey OP we better see some TVs after all this build up! ;)

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Can't wait Can't wait, I just have to look it up, I just have toooooooo!

Dan
  • Options

Entombed forever with our hosts. VF20.

Dave

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:
    What DNC exactly mean?

"Did not crossover" as in rejected.

@Dave99B Nice barber!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file