Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any thoughts on this?

Hi, I’m new to the website and i would like your opinion on this penny that caught my attention. Thanks!

Comments

• Options

Thanks ifthevamzarockin!! Understood. Yes, sometimes grease fills in the numbers, true, but it really looks like the 1 is missing lol. I’ll upload a closer picture.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mom has a 1955 Washington where the 19 is completely gone from grease fill. It always fascinated me as a kid. Generally grease filled die coins aren’t worth much of a premium but I always think if it’s dramatic enough it always is.

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

More pictures don't change the fact a grease filled die created the missing 1 in the date. Missing design elements like numbers and letters in mottoes, from grease filled dies, do not bring huge premiums. It is more of a novelty item to show to friends and family. Don't confuse missing design elements from grease filled dies with something like a missing leg on a buffalo. That is a completely different occurrence.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 1:23PM

@JorgeLG said:
    Yes, sometimes grease fills in the numbers, true, but it really looks like the 1 is missing lol.

The 1 is missing, due to a grease filled die.

What else could it be? Maybe someone polished the 1 off the coin, but I'd go with grease.

P.S. - only hold coins by the edges. Skin oils and sweat will damage coins.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grease filled die.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 1:29PM

@Jimnight said:
    Grease :neutral: filled :smiley: die :blush:

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums. That looks like a grease fill

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JorgeLG.... Welcome aboard.... As previously stated, it is missing due to a grease filled '1' ... Not an uncommon thing on coins. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file