Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When dealers make you wonder/think twice...

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2020 7:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

What are some of the things you have heard dealers / your local coin store say or seen them do that really made you wonder (good, bad, or downright puzzling)?

A few examples I’ve experienced:
-LCS that said it’s illegal to melt 90% silver
-Dealers that didn’t know certain coins existed-nothing world or super rare-more like the 1998 matte proof Kennedy or that there was 40% silver in the 1965-1970 era
-Not knowing where to find a US coin in the Greysheet

Comments

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    There was a dealer in the Seattle area (not sure where his shop was) that set up at all large shows...Prices on everything were incredibly high. I never saw him sell a single coin.... Even hung out at the end of his aisle one time with another collector, just to watch.... we observed for 45 minutes... lots of lookers, but each time he would give a price, they walked away..... We never understood how he stayed in business.... Figured he went to shows just for the social atmosphere... With those prices, likely never had any shop customers to talk to. Cheers, RickO

Ricko,
    Maybe he couldn't figure out how to make change and his prices saved him from having to do it. :)

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 11:18AM

Offer half price on a coin then immediately get on the phone and sell for market rate while you are still sitting there.

$50 really worth losing a customer for life?

• Options

Juliancoin???

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    There was a dealer in the Seattle area (not sure where his shop was) that set up at all large shows...Prices on everything were incredibly high. I never saw him sell a single coin.... Even hung out at the end of his aisle one time with another collector, just to watch.... we observed for 45 minutes... lots of lookers, but each time he would give a price, they walked away..... We never understood how he stayed in business.... Figured he went to shows just for the social atmosphere... With those prices, likely never had any shop customers to talk to. Cheers, RickO

I've seen quite a few of those and wondered the same thing. Some say that these dealers are there to run a museum and/or just spend the day around coins (they could also be retired or financially stable enough to not need sales).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert.... I can not remember his name.... We called him Snidely Whiplash because of his weird moustache. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:

@ricko said:

Ricko,
    Maybe he couldn't figure out how to make change and his prices saved him from having to do it. :)

Now it's called EBay.

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

If its not CAC its not good, as if every coin has already been to CAC

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@Dave99B said:
    Saw a dealer buy about three dozen colorfully toned PCGS MS66 Morgan dollars once. This was in his coin shop. As he looked through them, he kept saying ‘low grade, common date, low grade, common date’. The late-70s customer (I’m assuming the widow of a collector) said ‘OK, I figured they’d be worth a lot’. Dealer: ‘Not really’.

Kind of annoying to watch.

Dave

I would have offered double and made sure the customer walked out with me.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@steelielee said:

@No Headlights said:

@ricko said:

Ricko,

Now it's called EBay. :smiley:

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:

@Dave99B said:
    Saw a dealer buy about three dozen colorfully toned PCGS MS66 Morgan dollars once. This was in his coin shop. As he looked through them, he kept saying ‘low grade, common date, low grade, common date’. The late-70s customer (I’m assuming the widow of a collector) said ‘OK, I figured they’d be worth a lot’. Dealer: ‘Not really’.

Kind of annoying to watch.

Dave

I would have offered double and made sure the customer walked out with me.

Then you would never have to be annoyed at that shop ever again.

Vplite99
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin shop in CT that told me "it was the law" that I had to provide my license in order to buy something from them (a $200 coin), so they could record my personal information.

The idiots running the shop were/are confusing their AML procedures with law...so I laughed in their face and walked out and will never return. I would never ever give my personal info to some small-time coin shop. The personal customer info they have is probably more reason for someone to break-in than the coins they had...

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I have to do is look at the coins in a dealer's cases and what they're charging for them to know what kind of dealer they are, without having to wonder.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2020 12:48PM

A wholesaler setup next to me told me (after looking thru a couple slab boxes) I am no fun after I bought 2 coins from him.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Catbert.... I can not remember his name.... We called him Snidely Whiplash because of his weird moustache. Cheers, RickO

I know who he is, but he's actually a nice guy and the shop is a hobby to keep him off the street. Sign on the door said they were open Monday, some Wednesdays and Thursday-Friday. Never Saturday because he was always at a show.

The shop was next door to the Subway where I would frequently pick up lunch. He was a member of our coin club and attended every show in the PNW.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2020 11:22AM

But quite frankly / Could care less about other RCI players (dealer, tire kicker, whatever) or their BS. Am in coin biz pick off deals, make money, have fun whether online or shows.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, haven't really dealt with any dealers lately. But I think there are quite a few sellers on ebay hallucinating with the prices they want for the crap they're trying to sell. lol

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see PCGS genuine only problem coins at asking price higher than a no problem coin (in the same grade range).

• Options

I used to do business with a dealer who upon me requesting a return of common date Peace Dollars because they were 'sliders,' tried to explain to me that a Peace Dollar is a bullion coin and would not accept the return for what I originally paid.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at a few coins at a national show. I asked the dealer for a price. He quoted me a price and I handed him his coins back and politely said thank you. As I was walking away he said “are my coins not good enough for you”.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    I don't know, haven't really dealt with any dealers lately. But I think there are quite a few sellers on ebay hallucinating with the prices they want for the crap they're trying to sell. lol

Leo

That is the truth! Recently I have made several offers to purchase at 10-15% below (still high) and no dice. I just laugh when the auction ends, product not sold...coin relisted same price. One dude is on his fourth run same price as the first three times.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at one of my local shows at a regular buyer walks up at says this to a dealer. I've got some premium shit for you 2 look at. The dealer then says lets see what's that means of premium shit because i got plenty of that lol. The rest of the day me and the dealer i was workin with used that word quite often i got premium shit 4 sale at this table 😂

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lancer_343 said:
    I used to do business with a dealer who upon me requesting a return of common date Peace Dollars because they were 'sliders,' tried to explain to me that a Peace Dollar is a bullion coin and would not accept the return for what I originally paid.

Without knowing the prices he was charging and the grades he was representing the coins to be, there’s no way to know if he was being reasonable or (possibly) trying to rip you off.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    A local Sunday bourse dealer always said that his price was the price and if it didn't sell by the time he died they could just put his entire stock out at the curb on trash collection day. I haven't seen him at a show in several years. I wonder if the trash men now have a nice collection?

I've seen some trash on the curb that looks better than some Sunday bourse dealer showcases.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file