Home Precious Metals
Options

A new bug-out bag stack.

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2020 5:07AM in Precious Metals

This collection boasts Americana pieces which will help convince every last wary trader. 90% exists in such bulk that it will be used regularly but the premium will also translate; e.g., people who have resources to trade will not want nasty coins. And their value will reflect that, just as it does now. Scratch resistant capsules will be incredibly important in protecting your wealth.

Make sure you pack rolls tight enough so they don't bang around. I know what gold and silver sound like and I bet bad guys do too.

Northwest territorial mint. I'm in the PNW. If 90% silver or US Assay Office isnt convincing enough for some, hopefully local gold and silver will be. Our main focus was stuff like this, which leads me to:

Maples and Libertads. We are in Oregon with a healthy Hispanic population. We may flee north or south, borders be damned, so hopefully that sort of thing helps our passage. I pulled wealth out of eagles awhile ago and good thing I guess. Crazy how those were below eagles, then the same as eagles, and are now more than eagles.

Junk gold. If you're submitting gold then just get everything slabbed. If its details garbage whatever. At least its PCGS authentic details garbage, and that will make the difference between giving you food or not.

Similarly, bankers and coin types will always want nice stuff, so pack some numismatic varieties too.

Morale. I don't wanna keep super nice expensive coins, and I want something I can enjoy even if I don't need it for barter. Psychological health during crisis is important. Treat yourself. Some of these are from family members before me, so they even help me with attitude and purpose which really helps in disaster situations.

Individually bagged coins. Uline has 4mil 2x2 bags that are safe forever. I'd never break out a huge sack of gold in a barter situation. Sometimes being able to reach in and grab a single dime is better. These slide right across each other but not out of your fingers and are great. The Krug is for the wannabe snob who thinks it's worth a lot more than it really is.

Will post more if I think of more.. it kinda sucked having to resell and rebuy stuff so I hope maybe this can help someone find some direction.

Please feel free to share "obvious" things that might not be so obvious.

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love me some halves, that first pic with all the proof frankies is swank.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 7:08AM

contrary to popular belief, PMs are not what you want in a zombie attack. You want weapons, fortification and reliable transportation. A few decoy blood packs will also come in handy.

4 mil 3X4 ziplocks are a perfect fit for protecting coins slabs.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Libertads.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well now... I feel very comfortable with all the necessary accoutrements to maintain security and well being. Certainly silver and gold are part of my resources... However, a) I have all the bases covered. b) It is highly unlikely that civil unrest will hit this area. c) Major disasters are always possible and unpredictable - I am prepared.
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the ex wife coming to town?

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would I trade food, clothing, ammo etc for bits of metal in a super crisis?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, one reason would be to obtain a medicine that isn't available anywhere else for a sick family member and the guy who you are trading with wants bits of metal in trade.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

Well, one reason would be to obtain a medicine that isn't available anywhere else for a sick family member and the guy who you are trading with wants bits of metal in trade.

Why wouldn’t they want food in return for medicine? Even if they had plenty it wouldn’t hurt to hoard. I can’t do anything with a shiny metal disk.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't do anything?? You can put it in your lock box, you can take it out and look at it, you can pile it up, you can take pictures of it, you can talk about it to internet acquaintances..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

.. you can exchange it for 10% less fiat currency this week than you could've last week ..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be a good idea to learn how to set a snare so you can catch a small critter to eat. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

There will always be those who will trade goods for cash - or that which represents cash. Cheers, RickO

• Options

The point being that you don't know in advance what is going to be in short supply and you don't know in advance what is going to be offered in trade - which is probably how the concept of money came into being in the first place.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

.. you can exchange it for 10% less fiat currency this week than you could've last week ..

In retail, that's known as being "on sale".

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

trade the silver on the bst and have people mail you food.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

In extreme times of need it is what people need that matters, not what they want.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

When people have more than they need, they exchange it for what the want. It has ever been so.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing your bug out plan.
    It is bold and just as good as anyone else’s given the unknowns.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2020 3:09PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    trade the silver on the bst and have people mail you food.

I was serious. he traded 5 ASE for a lot, lot less than $125 worth of food. if food hoarding is an issue in the area, get the non-perishables mailed in for less.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Via what mail system? Maybe I'm thinking too big of a catastrophe where government at all levels breaks down...

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 3:29PM

see this thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1044300/the-best-5oz-of-silver-i-ever-spent#latest

all of that for $125? I could get him the potatoes and onions easy via the mail.
    (please note people in his area are hoarding food due to the forest fires local to the area)

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite quotes:

"I'll tell you when I sell my gold. Oh wait, the phones probably won't be working."

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

MRE ARE readily available.......

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    The point being that you don't know in advance what is going to be in short supply and you don't know in advance what is going to be offered in trade - which is probably how the concept of money came into being in the first place.

Toilet paper!

Ken
  • Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Trust me guys if the ongoing pandemic has taught us one thing for sure, toilet paper is going to be better than gold. Our women are not going to go without toilet paper, they'll go hungry, but they won't go without T.P. They'll go without bathing or perfume but they won't go without T.P. AND I've heard hundreds of preppers say coins are going to be worthless and look at what's in short supply right now.
    Special note to Mapleman. There is a huge shortage in ALL items today that make up MRE's. If you're thinking about it Buy Now.
    Gold and Silver have always been and always will be a sought after commodity .
    Bob Sr Ceo Fieldtechs

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

My stellar new bug-out stack in on its way:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/x2/zbmeps360frt.jpg

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.