Home U.S. Coin Forum

1929 Mercury Dime - Sooo close to FB but no cigar

Here is my 1929. I submitted this beauty raw and it went 66. I was hoping it would somehow slip by as FB. PCGS made the right call, but boy I've seen worse sneak by as full bands.

I think it will go 67 with a couple of resubmissions. The toning is super original and pretty. Anyway, I plan to keep in my collection. Better than a white 66FB or 67FB to me.

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin :)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That certainly is a close call.....first glance, I would have said FB.....Cheers, RickO

• mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Beautiful! I must admit I'm a full bands snob but yours I'll make an exception for ;)

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. I’ve certainly seen much worse in 67 or higher holders.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not fb. Coins may not have to be fully rounded and split, but that one clearly misses it. I have had better fb coins that are not all there which Anacs and Icg would not call fb.

• @logger7 said:
    Not fb. Coins may not have to be fully rounded and split, but that one clearly misses it. I have had better fb coins that are not all there which Anacs and Icg would not call fb.

I think everyone agrees it's not FB

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

When I first looked it looked like FB, at closer inspection it's so close but no cigar. Amazin coin!

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice dime. Love the color!
    Strong 66. They did a great job on your trueview!
    B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is another in a long list of Mercs I've seen that just misses FB but is otherwise a fully stuck coin. The color makes up for any missing strike at the bands by a LONG shot. Great coin.

jom

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bands or no bands that is an outstanding specimen!

I, too, am a big fan of color.

• @Sandman70gt said:
    Very nice dime. Love the color!
    Strong 66. They did a great job on your trueview!
    B)

Yes, really greatjob by the TrueView team. They were able to capture the color, strike, and luster all very well in the pic. Sometimes one of these dimensions is sacrificed, but pretty much a perfect photo this time.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very pretty Merc!

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice merc, agree on the grade but I'm sure the PCGS graders had to look closely on that one :). Here is the current 1929 example in my set that I submitted raw. Shame about the deep hit on the reverse above the central bands or else it would have gone at least a point higher (in a 64FB CAC holder):

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file