Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Purchase. This must have just barely missed cameo!

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or maybe they did things differently in the 1980's.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that rev is what holds it back, and still would (imo) today; still a very nice coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on a bunch of cameos I've seen (but not owned) I would hope that they just did things differently back then. That's a real beauty!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure is pretty!

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    At the time that this coin was certified, PCGS did not issue CAM or DCAM designations to proof Franklin half dollars.

Or any post-1950s coins, true?

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.
    The CAC trumps DCAM in terms of value right? Or do you get to keep the bean if it upgrades to a cam??

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice half

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

The title was tongue in cheek, but thanks to all who shared their knowledge regarding "modern" proofs and CAM designations on rattlers.

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I like it.
    The CAC trumps DCAM in terms of value right? Or do you get to keep the bean if it upgrades to a cam??

It is not getting cracked out. The gold CAC + Rattler is what I prefer.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

Quick question:
    If CAC agreed the PR67 is solid for this coin and the only "upgrade" CAC sees is the CAM designation, would this half then get a gold CAC sticker?
    Or does CAC also need to see this one as PR68 or better before doing so?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Quick question:
    If CAC agreed the PR67 is solid for this coin and the only "upgrade" CAC sees is the CAM designation, would this half then get a gold CAC sticker?
    Or does CAC also need to see this one as PR68 or better before doing so?

It needs to be at least a 68. CAC doesn't give gold beans for designation upgrades.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

As has already been stated, PCGS did not designate cameo or dcam in that era.

I will note that the example posted is from the "fingerprint die". Look at the left side of the yoke above the bell, it has the look of a fingerprint, but is just variation in the frost.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice coin

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

@Jimnight said:
    Nice!

:)

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a big franklin guy, but very nice!

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options

@JonBrand83 said:
    Not a big franklin guy, but very nice!

I am not either but I have developed a real affinity for CAM/DCAM proofs. They are gorgeous. I plan to pick up a bunch of gold CAC ones and just enjoy them.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rick Tomaska published his cameo- ultra cameo book in 1991. Not sure when the
    TPGs adopted the designations.

• Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Did you buy it at Type I or Type 2 money?
    Not designated on holder.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@natetrook said:

That is a Type 2
    This is a Type 1 1956 Frankie

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2020 6:18PM
  • Options

@Cameonut said:

I will note that the example posted is from the "fingerprint die". Look at the left side of the yoke above the bell, it has the look of a fingerprint, but is just variation in the frost.

Have the Fingerprint die examples notoriously come up short for cameo designations in today’s grading standards?

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good choice. Love those rattlers and the sticker lights it UP!

Vplite99
  • Options

@natetrook said:

Type 2. Or rather, not for Type 1 money.

The dealer did make me take another coin with it. "You can't just buy one, these two have been together for ages!" For the price, I couldn't really say no.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

That gold bean is a beauty. Cards Speak on that hand.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 4:07AM

Nice Franklins.

Love the old holders, no need to have the designation on the labels. The coins speak for themselves.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of the green haze. I'm surprised the second example stickered. I really like the 67 though.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sure can stand on it's own in my books

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Cameonut said:

Have the Fingerprint die examples notoriously come up short for cameo designations in today’s grading standards?

As far as I know, the fingerprint die examples grade just like other dies for the Type 2's. I don't think they are downgraded.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

• Options

@Cameonut said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Cameonut said:

As far as I know, the fingerprint die examples grade just like other dies for the Type 2's. I don't think they are downgraded.

So you could have a cam, dcam, or no cam from the same fingerprint die? Are we even talking about one particular set of dies? Or was this FP die common place?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice Franklin half...would likely get a CAM today... Not necessary though. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 22, 2020 5:24AM

@CoinscratchFever said:

So you could have a cam, dcam, or no cam from the same fingerprint die? Are we even talking about one particular set of dies? Or was this FP die common place?

The FP die was no different than any of the other 1956 dies. The first strikes of the fresh die yielded dcams, then as the die wore you got cams. Eventually the die wore enough that there was no cameo and I suspect no evidence was left of the fingerprint pattern because the frost was gone.

Your example is easily a cameo, it may even make dcam (I think it would). But I am hesitant to be certain based on only two photos. If the coin were mine, I would keep it in the rattler.

Edited to add: I have only seen the FP pattern on one of the 1956 dies.

I've posted my example from the fingerprint die below - PR68Dcam.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons that is really amazing to find a 1956 in a pr68 rattler holder! when I was working on my set some years ago I ended up with about 15-20 pr66 1956's and I believe 2-3 pr67's and NO pr68's for the date. In fact, I had only been able to track 1 1955 pr68 piece and I was just not able to afford it at the time and it got sold, cracked and destroyed.

Please keep those 2 together....

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 7:26AM

For valuation / offer (technically) players will may go by grade on holder but irregardless its super PQ very nice for the grade if not nicer - you should price it on your evaluation. Certainly an upgrade candidate - specify minimum grade on form. As far as cameo wow sure looks like it to me but I defer to our hosts after you send it in.

Until that happens I would price it at multiples it’s grade on holder. One major dealer whose inventory I have analyzed (2 notebook page audit sample) on the Bay (His pricing vs CPG) he prices toners multiple x CPG, and a PQ rattler priced higher than CPG too. Semi PL also bumped up. I am sure he would do same on this one if not send it in. Not all coins the same don’t leave money on table in pricing. I came away agreeing w his pricing (won’t give them away either) and one needs to be on look out for certain PQ qualities. Wonder how high they Would bid it up at auction?

What impresses me about it is it’s cameo contrast and clean cloud free surfaces.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 Why do you assume he should "price it"? Most who post here are not dealers.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2020 8:21AM

@Cougar1978 said:
    For valuation / offer (technically) players will may go by grade on holder but irregardless its super PQ very nice for the grade if not nicer - you should price it on your evaluation. Certainly an upgrade candidate - specify minimum grade on form. As far as cameo wow sure looks like it to me but I defer to our hosts after you send it in.

Until that happens I would price it at multiples it’s grade on holder. One major dealer whose inventory I have analyzed (2 notebook page audit sample) on the Bay (His pricing vs CPG) he prices toners multiple x CPG, and a PQ rattler priced higher than CPG too. Semi PL also bumped up. I am sure he would do same on this one if not send it in. Not all coins the same don’t leave money on table in pricing. I came away agreeing w his pricing (won’t give them away either) and one needs to be on look out for certain PQ qualities. Wonder how high they Would bid it up at auction?

What impresses me about it is it’s cameo contrast and clean cloud free surfaces.

I appreciate your thoughts, but I prefer to preserve holders, and thus, these will not be regraded, and further, will not be resold. I did put the values for each down as $350 in my spreadsheet, which is 68+ CAM or 68 DCAM money, so the pricing methodology you've outlined holds true here.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful example!

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options

That coin is Cameo all the way!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file