Home Sports Talk
Options

At least the suspense is over for Detroit Lions fans.

Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Ummmmm they are terrible and seem dysfunctional. Why did they pick up Peterson and basically refuse to give him the ball even when they were up at 14-3 ???? They didn't give him enough carries week 1 either. They also completely blew game 1. That coach may be done tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't see the game or highlights yet.

Bad play calling?

• Options

They have a lot going on it seems. Stafford threw another pick 6 also.

• Options

Do you anticipate a HC firing this season?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Do you anticipate a HC firing this season?

YES

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2020 7:16PM

Last year I had a good laugh when the TV cameras found a Lions’ fan in the stands with a grocery bag over his head with slogan, “Same old Lions” written it. Terry Bradshaw commented today that Mathew Stafford had great stats, but the team had gone nowhere. He called it “a waste of talent.” I have to agree. The Lions are going nowhere. Poor coaching is at the heart of it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Last year I had a good laugh when the TV cameras found a Lions’ fan in the stands with a grocery bag over his head with slogan, “Same old Lions” written it. Terry Bradshaw commented today that Mathew Stafford had great stats, but the team had gone nowhere. He called it “a waste of talent.” I have to agree. The Lions are going nowhere. Poor coaching is at the heart of it.

Players are also fans. A player years before they would have entered the league would have laughed at the Lions. They would say it's a losing franchise. Culture of losing. Where as the Patriots/Steelers are known as winners to other players and fans. Peterson has actually looked very good and simply they don't give him the ball enough. Have no idea why they signed him if this is going to be the norm.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2020 1:25PM

The Patriots hard a legacy of losing before Bill Belichick. They won the division a few times and lost badly in the Super Bowl under Bill Parcels, but by in large the team was an also ran. It hade some really terrible years in the early 1980s when it could barely with a game or ever start a play from scrimmage without a procedure penalty.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The Patriots hard a legacy of losing before Bill Belichick. They won the division a few times and lost badly in the Super Bowl under Bill Parcels, but by in large the team was an also ran. It hade some really terrible years in the early 1980s when it could barely with a game or ever start a play from scrimmage without a procedure penalty.

That was not a fun time for being a Pats fun

• Options

Yea, remember the Rod Rust team? It will be better for your mental health if you don’t.

One year the Boston papers had headline that the Patriots had “lost” because they won a game that pushed them down in the postseason draft.

• Options

I'm talking about a more recent culture. A player just being drafted was almost born when Brady entered the league. They would only have experienced the Pats as winners. Not talking about the Plunkett/Grogan years.

• Options

Grogan- good player

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coaches on the hot, hot, hot seat.
    Matt Patricia
    Defensive genius my butt. He stresses the importance of a pass rush and has zero, none. Sean McDermitt took a rag tag team and turned them into a top 3 defense in 2 years. That’s a defensive genius.
    Adam Gase
    He can’t get along with the players. He’s drafted or picked up OL by the bushel and Sam Darnold runs for his life all game. Jamal Adams wanted no part of this team. LeVeon Bell is averaging 3 yards a carry. The Jets are a total mess and it starts with the head coach.
    Players on the hot seat.
    Baker Mayfield and OBJ. It takes time for the connection. Blah, blah blah for 18 weeks now that’s the story. Stefon Diggs and Josh Allen had no preseason, 4 weeks together. First 2 games Diggs leads the league in yards and has 16 receptions.
    Mayfield was not drafted by this management. It’s a lot easier to move on from someone else’s mistake.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2020 8:43AM

I thought the curse of Bobby Layne expired?

• Options

As a Pats fan, I really like Patricia. But the last year I was ready for him to go. He was all about bend don't break, which I like (when it works) but gets frustrating. I am surprised he has been so bad, but first time head coaches often struggle.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Detroit has been a train wreck for many years. I'd love to see them get rolling again ...

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.