Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Vintage Coin Banks . . . post them up !

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

This old coin bank was my Father's when he was a kid. I remember playing with it back in the 60's when I was a kid. This old bank has got to date back to the WWII era. I know that they made reproductions of this bank years ago, but much of the parts were plastic.

Take a look at the address on the back. That number is the postal code predating our modern ZIP codes.

What old coin banks have survived the generations in your family? Post them up for all to see.

Zoid

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool. It was made about 20 miles away from me.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pieces. All good quality metal that will stand the test of time. Nowadays its basically plastic junk.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 8:53PM

This little 4" x 3" plastic coin saving bank is from the Cleveland Trust Company of Cleveland, Ohio.

A friend showed it to me. It was full of old silver coins and she wanted me to open it and get the coins out. I did.

Cleveland Trust Company coin bank

The front reads:
    A Great City ... A Great Bank!
    The Cleveland Trust Company
    63 Convenient Offices ... Banking Services
    The Bank For All the People
    (Drawing) Gen Moses Cleaveland

Under the bottom reads:
    Tom Thrift Enterprises
    New Canaan, Conn
    Patents Applied For

The Tom Thrift company made these coin banks in the 1950's to encourage people to save money.

The coin bank has seven tubes for circulating coins of 1, 5 (two), 10 (two), 25, and 50 cents.

The sponsoring bank would hand the coin banks out to customers to fill with coins. The customer would bring the coin bank to the office where a teller would use a special key to unlock it and deposit the coins to an account.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭

I have aa bank like the OP's only with a black paint finish. Given to me ca 1948-1949. It's a neat old bank and still works fine. As I recall you could put pennies in the bank, they just didn't register in the total. You had to roll a bill fairly tightly to get it to fit in the whole in the back. Bank tellers hated that when you would deposit your savings at the bank.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude, he used a wire wheel on the coin at the end of that video . . . . .

Yeah I know, not a coin with any collectable value, but it still gave me the shudders . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

Dude, he used a wire wheel on the coin at the end of that video . . . . .

Yeah I know, not a coin with any collectable value, but it still gave me the shudders . . .

Z

I responded with the exact same comment in his comments below....UGH

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

These seem to be quite collectible... When I used to go to hobby shows in the PNW, I would see different ones...they always had a hefty price tag.... @MasonG ... I really like that potato bank.... That is one I would have picked up at a show. I do not collect banks, but that one is unique. Cheers, RickO

• Options

My parents established savings accounts for my brother and me when we were born. I still have the savings record book and the promotional coin bank that I assume the bank may have provided to encourage children to save. When I retrieved these items from my parents' attic back in the 70s, I could hear a couple of coins rattling around inside, which of course, are still there since I have no way of opening it.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a nice old stamp machine.
    As a bonus there were a handful of silver Washie's in the back tray

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've sold most of my neat stuff like banks. I just have this goofy little thing.

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inspired by @WillieBoyd2

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

Hello- hope it’s okay that I’m adding to an older thread. I picked up this bank in a thrift store and was hoping someone could provide more info...an age, whether it has any value, etc. Anyone here familiar with it?

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    Potato bank...

Awesome 😎

Mr_Spud

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread.

These days I get a clean paint can from Home Depot, punch a hole, and glue to the top... lol

Try to keep a couple going back when I did WSOP tourneys for loose cash.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Welcome to the boards, yeahhtrue! Nice bank.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the only coin bank that I am aware of where the issuing bank included the officers' names on the metal tag. Doing some digging, I found out these two officers served together only from 1901 to 1903:

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 4:59PM

Cool thread. From my GPA.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it looks great!! :D

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 5:31PM

🤓best I could do at the moment