Home U.S. Coin Forum

3 lovely 1796 gold counterstruck coins, 2 silver 1/2 dollars and Ron Landis that I want to share

2»

Comments

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one's near & dear to me.
    But one never knows...
    Glad you love it as much as I do !

@coinsarefun said:

@LindyS said:
    1 of 4 hot struck from 2 melted US gold eagles on site, at 1999 ANA Summer Seminar

f you ever decide to ket it go please let me know.....thanks :)

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    But one never knows...

@coinsarefun said:

Did you get to watch everything? I think it would be very cool to watch him melt the gold and strike
    these out of them.

edited May 1, 2021 4:56AM

I did not attend the 1999 Summer Seminar.

Bought the 1/2 ounce gold and 3 or 4 silvers from donator of the 2 ounces gold bullion.
    2 hot struck gold were then archived at ANA Museum & last two hot struck gold are in private hands.
    I got mine when donator of gold to ANA ebay'd off one gold and 3 or 4 silvers.
    Vern Walrafen was disappointed I sniped this gold piece from him as he mentioned in his GMM Nut website.

These were made on site in Colorado Springs when Landis taught Engraving class at 1999 Summer Seminar from what I understand.

@coinsarefun said:

@LindyS said:
    But one never knows...

@coinsarefun said:

Did you get to watch everything? I think it would be very cool to watch him melt the gold and strike
    these out of them.

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look nice and I'm sure they are collectable, but I feel like the ones minted out of 19th and early 20th century double eagles are a waste of a nice coin. :s

Trade $'s

@TennesseeDave said:
    They look nice and I'm sure they are collectable, but I feel like the ones minted out of 19th and early 20th century double eagles are a waste of a nice coin. :s

I’m sure there are many people feel as you do. But, these pieces were done for a very special reason that only I and Ron know why. And I would hope by now most people on the forum know and understand I just don’t have pieces made willie nille.

Just like the return of my toned Silver Eagle proof to me after ten years.......I tracked him down and made a trade.....a trade very profitable for him. A toned commemorative that pcgs published a story about. So, it’s not really money.

Sometime I have super important dates and coins that mean more than the money........this with Ron was a similar case. It is unimportant to me the profit. Otherwise i would not have been proud an happy to share it on the forum.......it would have taken a vey fast trip to great collections to auction as a few of DC’s overstrikes did and did well.

edited October 30, 2021 5:45AM

Amazing story & images !

Bumped up for Cliff @CDBPDX

@coinsarefun said:
    I have been a fan of GMM and Ron Landis for a long time. I have purchased several of his newer pieces and posted them here
    on this forum. Like many of you here, I have so many of his other pieces in silver, copper and gold and love each and every one of them.
    For the last couple of years I've been going back and forth telling Ron I would love a few 1796 gold counterstuck pieces.
    Fast forward trough my personal illness and he and I finally decided what they will look like AND......I even purchased a
    1/2 Silver Dollar die (obv & rev) from him, he made 2 obverse and reverse impressions for me.
    Here is a group photo of the silver 1/2 dollar and the 3 gold sisters.

This is a video of the 1/2 dollar being struck. As you can see the blanks were quite thick (32.9 grams)
    They were hot struck. His initials RL are counter marked on the reverse.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZBv5AJ19kQ
    This is the picture Ron sent me of the dies and 1/2 dollars

My image of the 1796 1/2 Silver Dollar

Now, to get to my 3 Beautiful 1796 gold Overstrikes.
    The Double Eagle was overstruck on a 1869-S
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqfTwfJlQ5M

The Eagle was struck on a 1904 double eagle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1RvSWgB_Aw

The Half Eagle was struck on a 1882 $10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paOt_ZBJ0bw

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 8:02AM

These gold pieces are among the most amazing GMM pieces ever! Congrats to Stef and Ron to get these struck!

These along with Ron's personal "RL" Brasher, Concept Dollar Die Trial set, and the new 1995 Concept Dollar die piece, have me rank Stef's collection as the top one right now, and perhaps for a long while as nothing else seems to come close. The items are just amazing and I'm glad to have Stef share these wonderful photos! They are breathtaking every time I see them!

Agreed Zoins, Stef's GMM Collection is leaps & bounds ahead of mine !!!

@Zoins said:
    These gold pieces are among the most amazing GMM pieces ever! Congrats to Stef and Ron to get these struck!

These along with Ron's personal "RL" Brasher, Concept Dollar Die Trial set, and the new 1995 Concept Dollar die piece, have me rank Stef's collection as the top one right now, and perhaps for a long while as nothing else seems to come close. The items are just amazing and I'm glad to have Stef share these wonderful photos! They are breathtaking every time I see them!

edited October 30, 2021 8:52AM

@LindyS said:

@Zoins said:

We have to step up our games!

I just picked up a 1995 IGWT copper concept dollar and a second 1998 silver concept dollar, but need more unique, seminal pieces!

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS You have been posting some amazing things as well so congratulations to you as well. Thanks for sharing things that I would never otherwise see.

edited October 30, 2021 8:51AM

I bid and lost that pair on Ron's 2nd chance auction. Lost interest at $1,300.
    Glad they went to great home !!!

The days of getting significant, important GMM goodies are over, due to budget.

Maybe I should consider cashing out due to current market demand ???

I'd like to add a massive building to my parents old property in the county, as there are no restrictions as to size or number. Then I could empty that house and rent it as zillow says I could get 3k monthly rent. A buddy of mine tells me I should monetize it, just fence primary house off from the acres and other structures. He owns 8 rentals in town so his advice is welcomed.

@Zoins said:

@LindyS said:

@Zoins said:

We have to step up our games!

I just picked up a 1995 IGWT copper concept dollar and a second 1998 silver concept dollar, but need more unique, seminal pieces!

edited October 30, 2021 9:12AM

@LindyS said:
    I bid and lost that pair on Ron's 2nd chance auction. Lost interest at $1,300.
    Glad they went to great home !!!

The days of getting significant, important GMM goodies are over, due to budget.

It’s challenging for me as well but I’ve been looking for a IGWT for 15+ years, so I couldn’t let the opportunity pass.

Maybe I should consider cashing out due to current market demand ???

Up to you but this could be a good time, especially as PCGS is slabbing some of these now.

I'd like to add a massive building to my parents old property in the county, as there are no restrictions as to size or number. Then I could empty that house and rent it as zillow says I could get 3k monthly rent. A buddy of mine tells me I should monetize it, just fence primary house off from the acres and other structures. He owns 8 rentals in town so his advice is welcomed.

Income is very important for this hobby and in general, so you should really consider it. $3k a month is a lot. Coins don’t make income and I need to get some other projects off the ground as well.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments but many here have awesome collections. My hope/dream is to get PCGS to
    correctly slab all the One Concept dollars and put all of Ron’s, Joe and GMM on display at one of the larger coin shows
    so people can see the wonderful work they have all done.

edited October 30, 2021 11:57AM

@coinsarefun said:
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments but many here have awesome collections. My hope/dream is to get PCGS to correctly slab all the One Concept dollars and put all of Ron’s, Joe and GMM on display at one of the larger coin shows so people can see the wonderful work they have all done.

My goal so to be able to correctly catalog them so PCGS has a catalog to reference! Just have to get my website up. I'm making some progress so fingers crossed!

@Zoins said:

@coinsarefun said:
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments but many here have awesome collections. My hope/dream is to get PCGS to correctly slab all the One Concept dollars and put all of Ron’s, Joe and GMM on display at one of the larger coin shows so people can see the wonderful work they have all done.

My goal so to be able to correctly catalog them so PCGS has a catalog to reference! Just have to get my website up. I'm making some progress so fingers crossed!

That would be amazing!! If you ever need any pics just let me know. Cause I don’t think I’ve posted everything I have here

edited October 30, 2021 1:53PM

Ditto, I have only posted a few Concepts & for most part not my best.
    I held back images when sending images to Verne for Scrapbook.
    Some I am certain are unique as I got quite inspired, actually hand drawing out images, detailing exactly what I wanted my special order Concepts to look like and in what metals and with what collar. They were very generous to work with considering all the extra time involved. I just looked, I think 6 of my Concepts are plate images on Mike Wallace Smalldollars GMM page:

http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page17.html

I did not special order my VF35 Congressional shown there, it was a flea bay purchase. All others are "Specials"

Ever since I got on ebay in 1998 I routinely searched for Gallery Mint. I have seen & lost some stunning items. Some I won.

Started searching CARR in 2012 when I was buying 64D PEACE Die varieties. Then search expanded...

@coinsarefun said:

@Zoins said:

@coinsarefun said:

That would be amazing!! If you ever need any pics just let me know. Cause I don’t think I’ve posted everything I have here

THANKS TO ZOIDS Way back machine with buttons that work, yielded me page 23 at scrapbook:

https://web.archive.org/web/20161204044228/http://gmmnut.com/gmm/gmm23.html

And on it with my film images mailed to Verne, are lost to time. What I said about my Concepts & ACTUALLY striking ALL Seventy two 14 Star 1796 proofs while on Holiday in Eureka Springs at Gallery Mint , published in 2001:

A Glimpse Into Lindy Stone's Treasure Trove
    Concerning the Con$ept "errors", I actually drew out what I wanted them to look like. I did not simply order a double strike, but instead, with detailed drawings showed them exactly what I wanted. In regards to the Wreath Cent overstrike off center on a Con$ept, I tried to keep the best design elements in the multistrikes or overstrikes. It is my understanding that I have the most intentionally struck errors on this series according to Adam Hardcastle, their past Chief Coiner. I just loved Ron's dies and also the concept of using the word "Concept" instead of "dollar". I also liked the lack of a copy stamp. In all I commissioned 27 or 28 "special order" pieces over 3 or 4 separate orders.
    Click for Obverse or Reverse enlargement

1995 Concept Dollar Flip-Over Double Struck Off-Center
    From A Photograph With Color Restoration.
    Oddly though, I actually do not have a normal piece for comparison, though I did get one for my best friend Jim when I visited Eureka Springs in the fall of 1996. During that visit Adam Hardcastle and I struck some 60+ pieces of those 14 star 1796 proof dollars before Ron realized (was told by his local photographer) he had made another star count error. Ron was furious! He tried in vain to modify the 14 star die, but instead ruined it thus sealing their low mintage. After Ron made the new 15 star dies Adam and I set a GMM dollar record for striking something like 109 15 star proof pieces the following day. It was awesome to see Ron produce his 15 star replacement die!
    Click for Obverse or Reverse enlargement

1995 Concept Dollar Overstruck Off-Center With 1793 Wreath Cent Dies
    From A Photograph With Color Restoration.
    In regards to intentionally struck errors, when you manually place the planchet on the reverse die and you manually "shot put" the balls on the screw press to strike it 2 to 3 times with their 70 ton screw press and then have to catch the balls as the press recoils from the strike, one realizes just how hard it is for their "natural" errors to occur. Those real and "natural" mint mistakes are quite rare. Though the majority of my errors are unnaturally created, they still look beautiful. I feel they are great representations of screw press mistakes, even if they are not really errors. Lindy Stone ... Sun, 18 Feb 2001 10:16:16
    I want EVERYBODY to know that, not only do I appreciate the nice photographs that Lindy has shared with us, I appreciate even MORE the reminiscences he sent us. I am always at a loss for words to use to introduce you to the wonderful scans I acquire or produce. Speaking of photographs, between Lindy's lighting, the folks that processed the photos and the textured surface on the prints, my scans came out really weird colors. The silver was a deep blue-green and the brass was an ugly blue-green-brown. I tweaked a few of my graphics editor's thousand adjustments and eventually, after many trials, got a fairly representative color for each scan. Lindy tells me they are very close to the originals but I wanted you to know that they have been messed with... A LOT! EMail:Verne R. Walrafen

edited October 30, 2021 4:05PM

Here's another article on Page 23 before 9-11-2001:

My parabolic mirror image survives!!!

;^)

As I have always been a buy & hold collector I can say I own everything published on Vernes site, though most likely most are no longer imaged I see. What ever images posted are NOW lost to time @ Verne's,yet I possess 99.99% of these coins, replicas, or how I have always seen them as COINAGE ART.
    Its all ART to me !!!
    Seriously!!! Ron & Joe efforts materialized the replacement of the for evermore cupro clad Agony Clad 25c Dollar.

I continue to miss Verne,.

From Verne's:

1793 HalfCent Struck On Cent Planchet
    Photographed On A Parabolic Mirror With Color Restoration.
    Submit

Breaking The Error Collector's Ground Rules
    I mentioned to Lindy that, if he told me stories about his photographs I would be more motivated to post a ScrapBook Subject on them. I got an immediate response on a pair of the photographs that hadn't meant much to me. It turns out he had good reason to be pleased with these two pieces. I will let him explain why these are special since he can do so much better than I can. EMail:Verne R. Walrafen
    OK children, you have a sit and I'll tell you a story. When I went to GMM in the fall of 1996, Adam had prepared some planchets for me. He knew my favorite was the Vine and Bar edge large cent planchet. So, as a surprise to me, he rolled me out a few to use as I saw fit. The GMM had just begun production in their uncirculated and proof 1793 Half Cents. Instead of using the "Medalic Arts Screw Press", these dies were mounted in a smaller screw press. The picture I sent you is of a piece I STRUCK.
    As background information for you, in my error coin collecting hobby it is a widely accepted rule that smaller size denomination dies cannot strike larger size planchets since the larger planchet will not fit into our country's coin presses. I suddenly realized that these "1793" correct original style large cent planchets would be the perfect thing to use to break such a RULE. Such an error example was not represented in my normal error coin collection. If such an authentic example did in fact exist in real life then the Judd book would have listed it as a "pattern". So, this piece is one of my favorites because it breaks one of the ground rules of error coin collecting.
    And more importantly, have you ever looked at a real 1793 Half Cent? Ron Landis executed this die pair perfectly! Well, in addition to this reproduction, have you ever compared the Wreath repros to their authentic counterparts too? In pictures or real life? Of all of Ron's reproductions I feel the 1793 Half Cent and the 1793 Wreath Cent showcase his talent! They are so real looking, so "authentic"! Lindy Stone ... Thu, 22 Feb 2001

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are quite neat! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks JP !!! Happy Halloween !

I decided to try and get better images of the three c/s gold coins and a few other struck silver coins with the die I purchased from Ron. And, the last image show the "TRAIN WRECK" as he describes it.

And the "TRAIN WRECK"
    I took a regular image and then tried to show the edges.

And as long as I'm posting I thought to include my newest from Ron.
    He needed 1.75 ounces to bring up a full strike on this beautiful Gobrecht .

edited February 5, 2023 12:38AM

You have some wonderful and inspirational work from Ron! I love how his expert work isn't marred by the COPY stamp for these pieces and hope he can do more like this to build his legacy!

@Zoins said:
    You have some wonderful and inspirational work from Ron! I love how his expert work isn't marred by the COPY stamp for these pieces and hope he can do more like this to build his legacy!

I completely agree. And any of the new pieces I search out only ones that have his intitals on the piece.
    If you right click on the “train Wreck” you can see how he rengraved his piece. I know you asked about it month back but only know could I get a better image.

The later die state of "Trainwreck", but not terminal die state as I've seen 3 or 4 bigger obverse cuds from this die pair.

@LindyS said:
    The later die state of "Trainwreck", but not terminal die state as I've seen 3 or 4 bigger obverse cuds from this die pair.

Hi Lindy. I was taking it from Ron’s website.

I thought "Trainwreck" was yours.
    I considered buying it a few months ago when it was briefly available to go along with my example imaged above.

@LindyS said:
    I thought "Trainwreck" was yours.
    I considered buying it a few months ago when it was briefly available to go along with my example imaged above.

Yes, it is mine, that’s my image of it

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m impressed all the way. Thank you for sharing this Stef. VERY cool😎

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file