Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post your Albert Pujols cards in tribute to passing Willie Mays in HR

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Albert Pujols hit 2 more home runs last night to pass Willie Mays for numbers 661 and 662. Being a Cardinals fan since I was a kid in the 1980s, I have followed Albert Pujols career from up close (Cardinals fan) and a distance since he moved to L.A.

Not only was he the first player in history to hit .300+ / 30+ HR / 100+ RBI's in his first two seasons, he also did it in his first 3 seasons....and his first 4...and his first 5....and his first 6....and his first 7....and his first 8....and his first 9....and his first 10. Then, in season 11, he only needed 1 single RBI and 1 base hit to do it 11 seasons in a row. He did again again with his first season with the Angels in 2012, which, if not for 2011, would have made it 12 seasons in a row.

Even though age and injuries as slowed him down since he went to L.A., his numbers have been good enough to land him a rare company. He is number 3 on the all time RBI list, number 5 on the HR list. He is the only player in history to have more than 650 HR and 650 doubles.

If you look at all the numbers, Albert Pujols had a better start to his career than even Mike Trout.

= = =

Sorry, just had to give him his due. Now, let's see some cardboard.

If you haven't priced his rookie cards lately, go check them out. They are going nuts. I paid $80 for his PSA 10 rookie a few years ago. Now, it is selling for $1,500 to over $2,000.

I don't have a large Pujols collection, but I do have a small one. Back a few years ago, I set out to get every Topps Pujols card in a PSA 10. These are pictured below. I don't have a 2020 Topps yet, but will soon.

Pujols-001

Pujols-002

Pujols-003

Pujols-004

Pujols-005

I included a 2012 card showing him hitting 3 HR in Game 3 of 2011 World Series in a PSA 10. I wanted it because his regular card was with the Angels.

Here is a monster card. This card has went up exponentially in the last few months. The last one sold for over $2k. I bought this a year or 2 ago for $250.

Pujols-006

Shane

Comments

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

He is a victim of what happens to a lot of guys, even the great ones, in this modern hobby. What have you gone for me lately? Frank Thomas was very similar, was smoking hot popular into the 90s and then cooled off for a bit as his career was in decline. This is actually the time when I stopped actively buying his stuff, but shortly thereafter picked up some missing items when his 90s inserts were in a slump. Wish I would have grabbed more, because he picked up steam again after the HOF. The timelines may be off and this is a high level summary, as I was not closely watching his stuff or his career by then, but it should be close.

When I was actively still trying to get all the Topps All Rookie Team cards signed, I came across 2 Pujols cards. I just hope they are real. I could probably not afford to add them now, as is the case with so many in the last decade and why I stopped getting all but the easiest to find. Plus, with major gaps like Munson, Jeter, Ichiro and a few others up to 2010, I would never have completed it anyway.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think that everyone knows which pujols i have. i have only seen this card of mine in person two times in last two years since i put away in my safety deposit box.

• Options

i have this one on my wall display.

• Options

Winner! Awesome Bowman refractor! Nice Bowman 10 too.

Here are the three Topps Refractors.

007-Pujols-Refractors

Shane

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options

Nice 2002 auto!

I'll post mine shortly.

Shane

• Options
    edited October 1, 2020 6:07PM

2002 Topps (JSA sticker on back) and 2011 Topps (with Bob Gibson rookie thrown in)

Cardinals-Autographs-330

2002 Topps Award Winner #719

Cardinals-Autographs-420

Here is a 2003 for good measure.

Cardinals-Autographs-473
    caring for a betta fish in a bowl

Shane

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Refractor Pujols before I had it re-holdered. It's off to Heritage now.

• Options

i forgot to post this one a week ago. ten's are going like crazy lately for this one.

• Options

@lwehlers said:

i forgot to post this one a week ago. ten's are going like crazy lately for this one.

I agree. Non Chrome 2001 Topps Traded Pujols PSA 10s that were going for $2k last week.... One just sold today for $2500+ today.

I paid $80 for mine a few years ago.

Shane

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Here's one I'm happy I picked up several years ago.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is exactly 100 home runs behind Bonds.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

I agree. Non Chrome 2001 Topps Traded Pujols PSA 10s that were going for $2k last week.... One just sold today for $2500+ today.

I paid $80 for mine a few years ago.

In all fairness I am positive I thought you were nuts paying 80.00 for that card at that time!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658