Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone pick up a Simpson coin?

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 18, 2020 5:26AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hope some forumites added a piece or two

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

None for me but I was watching this Mercury Dime Pattern. It sold in 2008 for $138,000.
    This time it sold for $192,000!

https://coins.ha.com/itm/patterns/1916-10c-mercury-dime-judd-1984-pollock-2044-unique-pr64-pcgs-cac/a/1310-10347.s

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I was the high underbidder on a lot. :'(

Does that count?

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I saw, there was quite a few pieces that were available at heavily discounted prices. Especailly patterns.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at a couple beautifully toned SLQ's that went for total moon money. I got blown out very early in the bidding.

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@DrewU said:
    https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/40323259_Large.jpg

Patterns really fascinate me, but demand and pricing is still somewhat mysterious and a little intimidating as a novice in the area. Still decided to play in the very shallow end and picked up this MS-66+ BN CAC piece that is tied for finest known. Between that and the Simpson pedigree, I figured there can’t be too much downside and it’s going to be a really fun coin to own. Had a couple other pieces I was really interested in, and am still kicking myself this morning for not bidding one increment higher on another pattern half that was stunning.

How much did you pay? I am super curious!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalifornianKing Go to ha.com and open a free account. You can then see prices realized info.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrewU said:

Patterns really fascinate me, but demand and pricing is still somewhat mysterious and a little intimidating as a novice in the area. Still decided to play in the very shallow end and picked up this MS-66+ BN CAC piece that is tied for finest known. Between that and the Simpson pedigree, I figured there can’t be too much downside and it’s going to be a really fun coin to own.

this is how you collect. nicely done.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

The patterns that I would have been interested in at one time brought strong money.

The 1856 S3 P67+ brought $240K - I'd call that strong money, especially since the PR S3's bring less than the ones in MS holders.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Andy. Great write up as well.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:
    Love the Helmet head with IGWT and an eagle on both sides

Don't keep us in suspense forever! What did you get???

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    I bought a fair number of the patterns. I'll post some of them over the course of the day.

First, the 1867 Quarter in copper. It's beautiful and one of only 5 pieces struck and was priced reasonably and all that, but it was of special interest to me because the first pattern I ever bought was one of these. (I bought it from a Bobby Hughes ad in Coin World in 1973 for $495 with my Bar Mitzvah money. It was red when I got it, but quickly turned splotchy and spotted red brown over the course of the next year. I learned a valuable lesson, sold it ASAP and moved on.) I also remember getting the 1976 Garrett catalog in the mail and (IIRC) the last lot in the auction was an 1867 proof set in copper. I lusted after that set, but it was way beyond my means at the time. So now, buying what is probably the finest known example for a mere $4400 plus the juice gave me a nice little rush.

What a wonderful specimen.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2020 9:54AM

@DrewU said:
    Patterns really fascinate me, but demand and pricing is still somewhat mysterious and a little intimidating as a novice in the area.

Hang out long enough and you'll figure out there are 2 classes of patterns. Those in very high demand and almost never available and those with low demand that are almost always available. The first class are rare and very enjoyable to look at and hard to find.

Congrats on your pick up!

@Zoins said:

@DrewU said:
    Patterns really fascinate me, but demand and pricing is still somewhat mysterious and a little intimidating as a novice in the area.

Hang out long enough and you'll figure out there are 2 classes of patterns. Those in very high demand and almost never available and those with low demand that are almost always available. The first class are rare and very enjoyable to look at.

Funny, but not completely true. Some of the most popular and in demand patterns come up for auction pretty regularly. (1858 Indian and Flying Eagle Cent patterns come to mind.) And there are many extremely rare pieces that are rarely available, and hardly anyone cares when they do turn up. (Consider R-8 Standard Silver patterns.)

Andy Lustig

edited October 13, 2020 9:54AM

@MrEureka said:

@Zoins said:

@DrewU said:

Hang out long enough and you'll figure out there are 2 classes of patterns. Those in very high demand and almost never available and those with low demand that are almost always available. The first class are rare and very enjoyable to look at.

Funny, but not completely true. Some of the most popular and in demand patterns come up for auction pretty regularly. (1858 Indian and Flying Eagle Cent patterns come to mind.) And there are many extremely rare pieces that are rarely available, and hardly anyone cares when they do turn up. (Consider R-8 Standard Silver patterns.)

I'd add that the ones that seem to be higher demand tend to show up on places like Heritage and the ones I view as having less demand are the ones that languish on eBay. It may certainly be true that the in demand ones show up on Heritage with some regularity but they are not always available like th eones that sit on eBay for a long time.

@retirednow said:
    I did pick up the Lincoln 5 CENT copper pattern J- 487 ... and I paid a high price (much more than I planned) but then again I did want this singular design “TYPE” of a 5 Cent pattern for a while.

Great pattern! Congrats! Do you know any of the provenance before Simpson?

It’s great to see this from 1866, given that it would be almost 50 years before a President got on a coin I wonder if in all that time people were wishing for a move from Lady Liberty to Presidents. There are Washington patterns from the era as well. It’s nice to study patterns to get insight into the coin thoughts and directions at the time.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2020 10:26AM

Wow! Just Wow! Beautiful and handsomely artistic pieces all, much, much more appealing than our current coinage, and scarce or downright rare. Some Patterns seem so undervalued to me, but I know people have been saying that for quite a long time.

Tom

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:
    I got one of the four coins that I was serious about. Under bid on one lot..... lost another due to internet connectivity issues (my internet sucks here in the cornfield!!) and got blown out of the water on another. Also bought one lot that was just selling too cheap. From now on I'll be using proxy bids

J-1010 on my short list

J-763 impulse bid seemed too cheap

Excellent pick ups!

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

That 1869 is to die for.

@boiler78 said:
    I got one of the four coins that I was serious about. Under bid on one lot..... lost another due to internet connectivity issues (my internet sucks here in the cornfield!!) and got blown out of the water on another. Also bought one lot that was just selling too cheap. From now on I'll be using proxy bids

J-1010 on my short list

J-763 impulse bid seemed too cheap

Congrats on your pickups! Good to be both successful with your core and opportunistic. It's good to get things inexpensively when they are available.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭

Damn, these are some terrific coins and patterns. Maybe I should start coming here more often than I do on the Darkside! Congrats to all new buyers. 👍

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • retirednowretirednow Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Great pattern! Congrats! Do you know any of the provenance before Simpson?

It’s great to see this from 1866, given that it would be almost 50 years before a President got on a coin I wonder if in all that time people were wishing for a move from Lady Liberty to Presidents. There are Washington patterns from the era as well. It’s nice to study patterns to get insight into the coin thoughts and directions at the time.

I only learn the Provenance if the Auction Houses repeat what is believed known. As I noted in my PS ... I do go back to compare photos from the major auction houses using the PCGS Auction records data base .. but that is only good if they have photos. In this piece I believe it was the same coin as in NGC holder back in 2001 but no names of previous owners when auctioned. I have tried to us the NEWMAN Portal search tools on HIgh R.7 pieces checking by Judd/ Pollock and the the AW reference #'s. I can locate references in sales and auction listings going back to the 20's but without a photos or a good and accurate description (which is rare) it is a dead end on actual owners

OMG ... My Mother was Right about Everything!
    I wake up with a Good Attitude Every Day. Then … Idiots Happen!

edited October 23, 2020 3:38AM

@MrEureka said:
    Here's an intriguing one. It's the first pattern 20 cent piece, struck on an extra thick aluminum planchet. (A normal thickness version also exists.) I like it because it's a completely legitimate pattern, not a concoction made for collectors. I'm also intrigued by the mysterious variance in planchet weights. My gut tells me that there's a good reason for it, but so far I'm clueless. BTW, it looks way better in hand than in the image.

If you don't know why it was made, how do you know it's legitimate? Is it mentioned in a list of Mint records?

Here's the provenance:

The interesting thing is neither Heritage description mentions the rim issue at 12 o'clock on the obverse, only mentioning the following:

• 2003: "A shallow scrape, in the right obverse field, is the only surface blemish that seems worthy of mention"
    • 2020: "This near-Gem example is identified by a shallow scrape in the right obverse field behind the wheat sheaf."

Here's the cert link:

Here's the TrueView and slab photos.

edited October 24, 2020 9:22PM

@Zoins said:

@MrEureka said:
    Here's an intriguing one. It's the first pattern 20 cent piece, struck on an extra thick aluminum planchet. (A normal thickness version also exists.) I like it because it's a completely legitimate pattern, not a concoction made for collectors. I'm also intrigued by the mysterious variance in planchet weights. My gut tells me that there's a good reason for it, but so far I'm clueless. BTW, it looks way better in hand than in the image.

If you don't know why it was made, how do you know it's legitimate? Is it mentioned in a list of Mint records?

Great question! The short answer is that we don't know. The long answer? We know the die combination is legitimate in the sense that the design and denomination were actually being considered, but we don't really know if the off metal strikes had a purposes beyond the collector market. However, to me, the thick and thin variants of the copper and aluminum pieces hint at an experimental purpose. My thinking is something like this. First, the production of thick and thin variants of patterns was extremely unusual, so it's unlikely that collectors were clamoring for such things at the time. Second, we know that the Mint recognized the possibility for people confusing 20 Cent pieces for quarters, which is presumably the reason why the 20's were struck with a plain edge. But early in the game, a year before the denomination went into production, it's possible that the Mint also considered using thickness as differentiator. Which may sound crazy when you think that a thick 20 Cent piece might have weighed as much as a quarter. But not so crazy when you consider that silver prices were sharply declining at the time. A lot of guesswork here, but my gut told me that I had to take the shot.

Andy Lustig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file