Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone know what this is?

I know this is a US coin, supposed to be gold but it's silver. It has all the stars from what I can see (46 on the edge I believe, it's hard to count them,13 on the front). Any information would be great

Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Parking lot find?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either it was originally a counterfeit that was gold plated once or it was made specifically for jewelry.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might have been play money.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mutiusvos .... Welcome aboard. Definitely not authentic.... Likely a jewelry item. Cheers, RickO

• Thank you for your help everyone, it was an item I won during poker a few years ago.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't automatically assume that it is fake. I don't see anything conclusive in the pictures.
    But even if real, it is badly damaged. However, if genuine, it is still worth the gold content.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    I wouldn't automatically assume that it is fake. I don't see anything conclusive in the pictures.
    But even if real, it is badly damaged. However, if genuine, it is still worth the gold content.

He says it's silver which implies pot metal. The stars on the edge are blurry and ill defined. The design elements are weak and miss shaped. How can this coin be considered anything but fake?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a contemporary counterfeit $10, IMO. I think I still see traces of the gold paint/gilt/plating on the reverse, particularly the top of the eagle's head and the arrowheads.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mutiusvos said:
    Thank you for your help everyone, it was an item I won during poker a few years ago.

Penny-ante I hope.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file