Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

World Numismatics

Is it just me, or has the volume of coins listed on their retail website gone down to about nothing in recent years? Seems their model has shifted to supporting a known client base vs. using the website for broader retail reach.

I also don’t see the volume of newsletters coming out like in the past. They always had interesting articles. Last one was June 2018.

Bummer!

Comments

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, their website today is a bit better than 1 year ago. At some point they had nearly nothing listed, and nowhere near to what it was 5 years ago. Yes, no newsletter, that is a bummer (Carlos used to be a frequent contributor and maybe with his departure the inked dried out?). I do not know about supporting their clientele, since Scott left (whatever the circumstances) I have not been contacted by them and I used to be not their best client, but a decent one. Scott emailed me with some regularity. I have not even received their automatic emails with new purchases. Clearly Kent has a different idea on the business than Max and Corey. That said, I visit their site no less than once a week hoping to be surprised.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    Well, their website today is a bit better than 1 year ago. At some point they had nearly nothing listed, and nowhere near to what it was 5 years ago. Yes, no newsletter, that is a bummer (Carlos used to be a frequent contributor and maybe with his departure the inked dried out?). I do not know about supporting their clientele, since Scott left (whatever the circumstances) I have not been contacted by them and I used to be not their best client, but a decent one. Scott emailed me with some regularity. I have not even received their automatic emails with new purchases. Clearly Kent has a different idea on the business than Max and Corey. That said, I visit their site no less than once a week hoping to be surprised.

My experience is very similar. Bummer!

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought two coins from them. They have had a few others I would be interested in owning but the price was more than I wanted to pay. Inventory selection is (or at least was) good for Cap & Ray but not for Mexican colonial or other Latin America. Last time I checked, they have four MS Cap & Ray 4R and a few AU-58. The TPG counts have increased very noticeably since I bought my one coin in 2005 but never seen anything close to this selection for this series with another dealer.

• EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I don't check too often and I'm not complaining, but I notice more updates to the book offerings than the coins.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently had an unpleasant experience with them.
    I called to speak to Corey. Can’t remember the name of the man to whom I spoke, but he bruskly said Corey couldn’t be reached and that I should have him help.
    When I told him what I was looking for and that I would be grateful to have them help me find some, his answer was simply,
    “Watch the website”.

Not customer service at its finest.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman you should email Corey.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    @Yorkshireman you should email Corey.

Thanks, Abuelo. I will.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Euclid said:
    I don't check too often and I'm not complaining, but I notice more updates to the book offerings than the coins.

Agree and some good deals. Resplandores for $125 is a steal.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Is it just me, or has the volume of coins listed on their retail website gone down to about nothing in recent years? Seems their model has shifted to supporting a known client base vs. using the website for broader retail reach.

I also don’t see the volume of newsletters coming out like in the past. They always had interesting articles. Last one was June 2018.

Bummer!

Absolutely agree with this... total bummer. I bought a number of nice ex. Richard Stewart Honduran pieces from them ~2017 and have watched the volume of new listings on their website decrease from plentiful/interesting to limited/stale in a fairly linear fashion. Also agree on the newsletters, which I enjoyed reading and always found very interesting. Even after they stopped updating website inventory, I'd see them at major shows with much more inventory than their website let on.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:
    I recently had an unpleasant experience with them.
    I called to speak to Corey. Can’t remember the name of the man to whom I spoke, but he bruskly said Corey couldn’t be reached and that I should have him help.
    When I told him what I was looking for and that I would be grateful to have them help me find some, his answer was simply,
    “Watch the website”.

Not customer service at its finest.

FWIW, I don’t think Corey is very active with the business on a day to day business. He never gave up his day job.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@Euclid said:

Agree and some good deals. Resplandores for $125 is a steal.

My copy is autographed ! :)

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.