Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about a coin envelope.

Hello. I obtained a graded merchant token some time ago that included this envelope. I was wondering if the envelope belonged to Mr. Boyd or to a collector who obtained the token from him.

Comments

• Options

The upside down notation on the back seems to say O Earl lot.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

"AU-55+" doesn't seem to be something that would have been a Boyd-era annotation.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering FCC Boyd passed away in 1958, I believe this would have contained a coin from his personal collection. The envelope itself was probably not from the collection of Mr Boyd, although I am not familiar with his handwriting.

Fred (FCC) Boyd was a pretty famous numismatist in the early and mid 20th Century. I'm sure some other members here will be able to give you more information.

QDB wrote a summary about him here
    [https://stacksbowers.com/News/Pages/Blogs.aspx?ArticleID=meet-fcc-boyd]

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

In my opinion the style of writing and the type of ink does not scream 1950's or earlier.

• Options

Thanks very much!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an example of FCC Boyd's handwriting, although script cursive. Looks quite different.

Letter is to EPN who he corresponded with for years.
    Lance.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t Ford buy Boyd’s estate? Look for examples of Ford’s writing.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2020 6:12PM

Reminds me of library hand.
    It was used before typewriters, and sometimes later, to hand write card catalog cards.
    Often in all caps.
    The person who wrote it in 1958 possibly learned to write 50 years before that.
    It never resembles a person's normal penmanship but it is distinct if you can find another envelope.

• Options

See the word Gilt above
    Ford’s G somewhat resembled the letter S
    So I don’t see a match there
    We were friends over twenty years ago

• Options

bump

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Here are some samples of John J. Ford's writing I am posting for CaptainBlunt. Look at the R's. The OP's envelope was definitely written by Ford, presumably from the Boyd Estate as I surmised.

• Options

That is amazing. Thank you very much.

• Options

The amazing we do immediately. The impossible takes a little longer!
    :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file