Home Q & A Forum
Options

Coin plastic slips/bags for submissions

PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

A while back, I had a dealer suggest that not only should the submitted coin go into a Mylar flip, but the coin should be put into a small plastic slip/bag (non-sealed variety is what I've seen/have). I'm not exactly sure what those plastic slips are called and couldn't find them when searching on Amazon. But, I imagine the softness of them means they have PVC...no? Is this still a preferred practice?

Also, I'm curious as to the use of PVC-type flips for submission. Assuming, the submitter has a raw coin that has never been in a PVC flip before, is there a real danger the coin can get any sort of contamination between the time the coin is put in the flip and the PCGS grader pulls it out for grading?

Comments

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Prethen said:
    [...] Is this still a preferred practice? [...]

Link to PCGS "Packaging & Shipping Guidelines": https://www.pcgs.com/packageandmailcoins

Highlights:
    @ "We ask that you send your coins in 2 ½ x 2 ½ Mylar flips."
    @ "Please DO NOT send your coins in [...] vinyl flips (that may contain PVC) [...], as doing so can cause a delay in processing."
    @ "Package your coins with bubble wrap or Styrofoam to cushion your prized coins en route to PCGS (please refrain from using unusual packaging)."

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @MetroD said.

• Options

I actually saw that and did follow those instructions, but that was not what I was asking.

• Options

@Prethen

With all due respect, you asked three questions:
    Q1) Do "soft" plastic slips/bags "have PVC"?
    Q2) Are "soft" plastic slips/bags part of the "preferred" submission practice?
    Q3) Can a PVC flip "contaminate" a coin when used solely for submission purposes?

I am NOT knowledgable enough to answer Q1 or Q3. Notwithstanding, I attempted to answer Q2 via a link to the PCGS website.

In my mind, if "soft" plastic slips/bags are not included in the PCGS packaging guidelines, they are not a "preferred" practice.

• Options

Sorry, MetroD, I guess I didn't get my question across as I intended. In the past, this was something I was advised to do. I was wondering if submitters still do it and if there's an advantage doing it that way. Also, still curious about the temporary use of PVC flips. Hypothetically, if a submitted ran out of Mylar flips, could they get away with PVC ones, or they should delay the submission until they acquire the other type?

• Options

@Prethen

I apologize for misinterpreting your questions.

Hopefully, another member will be able to provide insight.