Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

What will happen in the future to PCGS Currency holders?

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

What will happen in the future to PCGS Currency holders?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

4 times: this is a PRIVATE poll, no one will know who voted what if this thread does not disappear... ;)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think, eventually, all reliable old holders go up slightly in value, because the history of preservation of the note (or coin) has been established for a longer length of time, and sometimes those holders become rare. Case in point, I have a Hallmark Stanton 50c note, where I am pretty sure the holder might be worth as much or more than the note, and the note is also valuable.

However, as with all older holders, that will be dependent on the grade assigned, the quality of the note inside, and the perceived relationship to the grading standards of the day, whenever that is.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Objects of desire would be my way of thinking.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

They may hold their value on the cheap stuff simply for novelty value. On the high end material, I see the long-term trend as down. The Registry Set collectors won't want them and I know of several dealers already advising their wealthier clients to get their PCGS notes into PMG holders. However, that only applies to type notes. Nationals will do fine in either holder because bank rarity trumps any minor interpretation of grade.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    I think, eventually, all reliable old holders go up slightly in value, because the history of preservation of the note (or coin) has been established for a longer length of time, and sometimes those holders become rare. Case in point, I have a Hallmark Stanton 50c note, where I am pretty sure the holder might be worth as much or more than the note, and the note is also valuable.

However, as with all older holders, that will be dependent on the grade assigned, the quality of the note inside, and the perceived relationship to the grading standards of the day, whenever that is.

I'd love to see that Stanton note!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland

I know I've posted it over at the PMF, and I thought I did here too but I can't find where I posted it here ... so, since you asked

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    @asheland

I know I've posted it over at the PMF, and I thought I did here too but I can't find where I posted it here ... so, since you asked

That's nice! Thanks for posting it. :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    @asheland

I remember seeing this note a while back. I love it.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2020 2:11PM

Decrease, especially as time goes on.
    I'm selling off my 64PPQ and under that are extras.

The crazy number of PCGS 58PPQ without a fold are surely debateable and the fact many cross over as Gem CU is confirmation. It seems when PCGS found the slightest defect that was not a fold, crease or bend they went to 58PPQ.

I respectfully disagree with much of PCGS grading but in order to monetize notes (and help pay for new purchases) having notes graded was mandatory and PCGS had the lowest prices in town on bulk orders, even it if it took over a year to get them back from garding.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the last LK auction I bought two lots, the notes, not the holders. One was in a Legacy which is Jason Bradford's company the other was something called World Banknote Grading which I have no idea what it is. The Legacy holdered note appears as though the grading is spot on. I believe the other note, a rare Scots £1 is a bit overgraded - but I didn't buy for the holder. I am going to re-holder the Scots quid in my own holder. With PMG and PCGS I leave them in the holder.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2020 11:02AM

WBG, is practically Lyn Knight’s in house grading service. At least I’ve never seen them elsewhere.

The crazy number of PCGS 58PPQ without a fold are surely debateable and the fact many cross over as Gem CU is confirmation. It seems when PCGS found the slightest defect that was not a fold, crease or bend they went to 58PPQ.

I totally agree with this. However, given the fact that Jason B. leased the name for only a decade, and that after all it was PCGS’ formal currency grading service from 2005 to 2009 , carries some weight. I’m also leaning towards the first answer, but then again 75% of my notes are in such holders, practically 90% of them submitted raw,exactly because of the price and of its European presence via Spanish grading service ICG, no longer in operation and nothing to do with the coin grading service of the same initials.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

I can’t believe I sc...d up 4 times before getting it right. I’m still used to the old platform, that disappeared 4-5 years ago (?) , I’m in my 18th year on these forums, but even though I tried it to the testing forum after mistake number one, I was too quick to think that I’ve got it, creating (not one, not two, not three,but ) four (4) unnecessary threads. Again I apologize and please ignore them, except for the only one I got right, ie this one. Or let it drop to oblivion too. ;)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3