Home U.S. Coin Forum

Buffalo Nickel Question

I am getting organized to sell my coins, as somehow I got old. I came across a few Buffalo nickels. I know absolutely nothing about nickel coins. I read-up about strike quality on these coins and this strike looks reasonable. And it has good luster and not many scratches and some subtle but attractive toning, especially on the buffalo side. But it looks sort of dark in hand. What I’m wondering is if this coin is too dark to consider sending in. I can’t find a thing on how dark toning on nickel affects grade. Please advise. Here a pictures under two different lighting conditions.

Comments

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not a huge nickel guy, but since your plan is to sell, I would think you’d be better off leaving it raw than paying the fees and shipping...much better experts will come along and help you out, though.

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice strike. Unfortunately this is a common coin and there are thousands graded in MS-65 alone. The concern about dark toning is really a moot point as you won't get your money's worth by sending it in. Your best bet is to try selling it here on BST forum or some other way to maximize value.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the coin’s obviously toned, I wouldn’t call it dark. However, I doubt it would grade high enough to justify the fees.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. Would never get your money back.

Nice as is.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Mr. Feld said.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @JBK said.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2020 7:27PM

I like it, but your images dont show much toning. Some collectors pay a premium for attractive toning(including myself ;) )

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

Nice specimen.

• You told me that the toning isn’t too dark to get a high grade, but the coin itself isn’t quite good enough. Thanks everybody, I appreciate your opinions!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Billk9989.... Welcome aboard.... Sorry to hear you are selling your collection. That being said, I agree with the above assessments..... However, that is a nice Buff nickel and would likely sell on the BST. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

1937-D is a date that essentially no one cares about. It is common and is not worth the cost of slabbing. It won't bring much slabbed or unslabbed.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file