Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold Bullion Question

skier07skier07 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some one ounce gold bullion coins; Krugerrands, Austrian Gold Philharmonic’s, and Canadian Maple Leafs. Do they all roughly have the same value? Is one considered more desirable than the other? If selling to one of the big companies what’s a good price for me to get?

Answers

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

All to me are valued equally. Apmex.com should have buy prices listed for all of those, more than likely a touch under spot.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

apmex doesn't publish buy prices anymore as far as i know.

it's hard to tell a good buy price. the minimum in a normal market is just over spot.

call around as I've experienced lowball buy prices from apmex.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2020 10:22AM

Ah just checked apmex and yup no more buy prices but you can get a quote.

Provident though does list, touch over spot to boot:
    https://providentmetals.com/buy-back-products.html

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upstate's wholesale dealer sheet as of today. They will also deal with the public assuming you have enough ounces to sell. I would expect you should easily be able to get their bid, all which currently are slightly over melt for Krugs, Maples and Phils.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should check to see if any of your mentioned coins have special collector value.... Other than that, they are bullion and you should be able to get spot, or in a couple of venues, a bit above spot. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scotsman Coins in St. Louis publishes a buy-sell list on their website.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion Exchange lists buy prices also, (scroll down the page) Krugs and Phils spot - $5, Maples @ spot. Then of course there's shipping unless you are close to NYC then you can walk it in. I believe you can do better but they are quick and reliable.
    https://www.bullionexchanges.com/sell-to-us

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

I recommend calling a few local resources. Understand the costs to ship your items out, including insurance as well as what happens if they are "lost" in the mail. From there decide on the best option for you.

I sold some PMs today. While I was at the LCS I encountered a customer whom smelts their own PMs. He had called around the area and found the LCS we were both at made the best offer. He had 3 hand poured bars, I would have to guess about 30oz each. He also contacted some refiners directly. He said they were within pennies of what the LCS offered.

While there I watched another customer sell a basket full of sterling items. Another customer called and was on the way on with 300 oz of sterling.

I looked at the BST here and other sites before making my decision. I have used eBay in the past, so also calculated my potential net/net/net. I decided my best option was the LCS. Anything extra the online companies offered was wiped out after my costs to ship the items.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to everyone who responded. Mission accomplished today and I’m happy with results.