Home Sports Talk
Options

1972 Dolphins

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like a lot of knowledgeable football fans here. I’d like to know if there was ever a team that had three running backs in any season who were better than Csonka-Kiick-Morris.

Comments

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably, but I think it depends on what you mean. Kiick may have been the best third-best RB on any team, and if that matters to your definition, then the '72 Dolphins may be a candidate. But without looking anything up, I will absolutely take O.J. SImpson, Jim Braxton and whoever the Bills third-best RB was over the Dolphins trio. The 1972 Dolphins were unusual in that they had three very good running backs, but what those three actually accomplished was not as impressive as what several backfields without three very good running backs have accomplished.

Most of the best players on the 1972 Dolphins played defense, with Anderson and Scott leading the way, and probably at least half a dozen others more valuable to the Dolphins than Kiick. The best player on the offense was definitely Larry Little.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll give it a shot. but the short answer is no.

1976 Steelers had both Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier each go over 1,000 yards with Reggie Harrison chipping in 235 yards with a 4.4 YPC and Bradshaw as the QB

In 1953 49ers had Hugh McElhenny and Joe Perry who were both first team All-Pro and another halfback named Joe Arenas who rushed for 380 yards and averaged 5.3 yards per carry.

They also had Y.A. Tittle at QB who was All-Pro that year. I always liked that backfield! Perry was under rated and they didn't call Hugh the "King" for nothing! All three made the HOF.

1961 Packers were good too. Only 2 RBs but another HOF backfield. Taylor never gets mentioned but he was a BEAST!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not part of the 1972 Miami Dolphins were the greatest team fan club. They were in a weak division during the regular season. The Jets had a 7 - 7 record, and that was best team in their division. They played 8 of their 14 regular season games against those teams. They had a soft regular season.

The year the Patriots won every game, except the Super Bowl, they played a much tougher schedule that was two games longer.

You can talk about the 1972 Dolphins all you want, but you will never convince me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the 3 of those guys rallied 2500? Yards rushing? Pretty damn impressive and for that era they were pretty damn solid, definitely one of the best and I hate the Dolphins. Tomlinson & Sproles, Ernest Byner & Kevin Mack, we’re pretty good tandems, no idea who else got carries/yards with those guys but whatever.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I think the 3 of those guys rallied 2500? Yards rushing? Pretty damn impressive and for that era they were pretty damn solid, definitely one of the best and I hate the Dolphins. Tomlinson & Sproles, Ernest Byner & Kevin Mack, we’re pretty good tandems, no idea who else got carries/yards with those guys but whatever.

I couldn't find the record for fewest passes attempted in a season, but they might have that record too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I couldn't find the record for fewest passes attempted in a season, but they might have that record too.

I think it was because it didn’t fit their way of doing things. Shula not only knew he had a good defense, but his running plays, especially the misdirections, always caught defenses off guard. Control the clock with your quality rush attack, and rely on your D.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Shula not only knew he had a good defense, but his running plays, especially the misdirections, always caught defenses off guard. Control the clock with your quality rush attack, and rely on your D.

Good? Miami's defense was one of the best ever, and explains how a team with a mediocre journeyman QB can go undefeated. People tend to misremember and credit Griese with that season, but Earl Morrall was the QB in 11 of those 17 wins.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2020 10:13PM

@dallasactuary said:

@Goldenage said:
    Shula not only knew he had a good defense, but his running plays, especially the misdirections, always caught defenses off guard. Control the clock with your quality rush attack, and rely on your D.

Good? Miami's defense was one of the best ever, and explains how a team with a mediocre journeyman QB can go undefeated. People tend to misremember and credit Griese with that season, but Earl Morrall was the QB in 11 of those 17 wins.

Number 1 defense and offense that year if memory serves.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@Goldenage said:

True about Morrall and Griese. Shula had the 3rd best defense in points allowed per game going into the 1972 season, so he knew it was pretty good. As the 1972 season unfolded, he knew it was very special. Manny Fernandez may be the most under appreciated football player from the 1970s, even though he did get his just due. Just not sure if people put him in the Joe Greene category.

• Options

Miami had a couple of tough games early, playing K.C. and then Minnesota.

Minnesota had Miami beat, but a roughing the passer penalty on Bob Lurtsema gave the Dolphins an extra chance and they took advantage and won the game.