Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Prooflike Ike Dollar

physicsfan314physicsfan314 Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
edited September 6, 2020 8:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well, here's a coin I never thought I'd own. Those of you who know me know that I have been working on a Prooflike Type set for about 10 years now. One of the many show-stoppers is the Eisenhower Dollar. Throughout the entire series, PCGS has not yet designated any Ikes as PL. NGC has designated 4 Bicentennial Ike's as PL (3 of which are currently on Ebay), and a single non-Bicentennial (a 1971D). The Bicentennials have been on Ebay for several years, and their asking price ranges around $2500 (which is, I'm sure, why they have not sold).

In the 7070 Type Set, there are 3 Ike's required. The first is the regular clad version, the second is the Silver issue, and the third is the Bicentennial. There are no designated Silver issues as PL by PCGS or NGC.

Well, I was trolling Ebay, as I often do, and this beauty appeared in my search. Long before NGC started designating PL's, old ANACS did. I've had mixed success with the small white holders regarding PL - some of the coins I've bought have been incredibly strong PLs, some of them did not cross to NGC as a PL. Either way, this one looked good so I put in a pretty strong bid. Lucky me, I won!

So, I present to you my newest Prooflike: a 1971 S (silver issue) graded ANACS MS-64 PL. In hand, the mirrors are definitely full and strong. There are a few marks which limit the grade (64 is probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised with a 65 when I send it in eventually). But, it is unquestionably a PL.

Tell me what you think! I've included a video so that you can see how the mirrors behave in the light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmK8NA-eLwA

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2020 10:41AM

“There are no designated Silver issues as PL by PCGS or NGC.”

Congratulations on your buy! Great coin.

Back in 1988-1990, there was a strong pursuit of proof like silver Ikes (1961-74) from the govt. blue packs by a number of us. I personally looked at upwards of tens of thousands of silver Ikes over those years searching for high grade, interesting variety and PL Mint state silver Ikes. The easiest to find were 1972’s. Fabulous two sided PL’s were available - very, very scarce, but available. 1971-S was the next most readily available date to locate in PL, followed by 1974-S. For me, the 1973-S was the most difficult. When I found one of these coins, I just tossed it into a flip and set it aside in my personal collection. I wasn’t interested in grading any coins with ANACS and, of course, PCGS wouldn’t recognize them. I am probably lucky that PCGS didn’t recognize them as I might have sold some if they had.

True PL’s of the MS Ikes are very cool coins. These days, I sometimes buy blue pack deals that get sold to me along with brown proofs. I look at a few hundred pieces and they look nothing like the coins I screened back in 1988-1990. At this point, thirty years later, most have been inspected numerous times. Now, it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • I've heard many old-timers say that PL Ikes are more common than the certified populations reflect. I'm really surprised that so few have been designated, based on stories like yours.

Can you post a couple pictures of some of yours? I'm really curious to see them.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2020 11:29AM

What is that to the right of the moon? Are those due polish marks or did someone take sandpaper to it? :o

• @JBK said:
    What is that to the right of the moon? Are those due polish marks or did someone take sandpaper to it? :o

Yup, die polish. Die polish is very, very common on prooflike coins - it is often that extra polish that made the coin PL to begin with.

The key indicator here, for those not familiar with die polish, is that the scratches appear to go under the rim of the earth. You can see the scratches on the right side of the globe (in the Atlantic), and in the fields - but there are no scratches on the actual relief of the globe (the rim). Similarly, the scratches appear to go under the eagle's head - but are not actually visible on the eagle's head.

If they were scratches from cleaning or post mint damage, they would go across the top of the eagle.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Physicsfan... PCGS just started grading PL a short while ago so that explains their barely existent pops on coins like these.

One day, I will get to the bank where these coins reside and submit a few to pcgs requesting truview. But, at the moment, I am, unfortunately, about 8,300 miles away from the coins.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • physicsfan314physicsfan314 Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2020 12:57PM

@wondercoin said:
    Physicsfan... PCGS just started grading PL a short while ago so that explains their barely existent pops on coins like these.

Oh, I'm fully aware of that. But, in order to be thorough, I had to mention their pops. The NGC pops, which have been designated for many years now, are probably a more representative comparison.

I look forward to seeing your coins!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks if it needs to be seen in hand. It creates more questions than what can be answered by looking at an image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't look fully PL from the images.

• @coinkat said:
    This looks if it needs to be seen in hand. It creates more questions than what can be answered by looking at an image

@cameonut2011 said:
    It doesn't look fully PL from the images.

Take a look at the video and tell me if that convinces you. It is really hard to catch PL from a single set of images.

It seems like there is a lot of mint frost. I'd call it semi PL.

Regardless, it is a neat coin. I went through several blue packs as Wondercoin mentions. I found a couple one sided mirror coins, but never a dual sided, fully PL coin.

Unable to open the video. I am not really disputing whether the surfaces are PL... I would be more concerned about how the coin may grade. I see the PL designation is an interesting and overlooked question for the Ike series in general. I have a 1976-D type I that was graded PL. by ICG. I submitted 2 1976-D type II that looked PL to our host... And that did not happen. Part of the problem seems to be interest. This series has so much going for it but for some reason all there is to search for does not seem to resonate with most collectors. The 1971-s Type I proof is probably the rarest coin most do not even know exists... Sad

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might want to tag @segoja for his take not just on this coin, but on PL Ikes in general.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Jason! I'd be almost jealous if it was snagged by anyone else. I missed this one but it's in a good home. Of course, you know I have an ANACS MS64 PL Type I. I did come across a SEGS MS65 PL Type I last year. Always on the lookout. Yes, PL's very difficult to photograph.

Congrats!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around 1993/4 I snagged a 1976-D Type 2 from a local bid board.
    It went 67 at ANACS and was fully PL both sides.
    I don't think they gave out PL designations back then (?) but it was a heck of an Ike.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a nice Ike...I have a few I picked up years ago. Some in the original boxes. Have not even looked at them in at least ten years. Will have to check...would be great luck to find a PL... ;) Cheers, RickO

• darth_morgandarth_morgan Posts: 192 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2020 10:37AM

To my eye, this is unquestionably proof-like. Congrats on this acquisition, and it's even a "blue" 71-S! I have some 1971-D Ikes that were, in theory, struck on Cu-Ni proof planchets, and they look very similar. One even looks like a reverse proof on the obverse.

The seller images, while blurry, actually show the PL quality better than my photo.

This is a "raw" slab shot of a different coin to show how clean it is. There is NO annealing drum chatter present. I can't believe it only got a 65. It is SUPER brilliant. I have several like this, all PCGS MS65.

A "reverse proof-like" Ike. First pics are seller photos. The fields actually appear frosty, though not nearly to the degree of a modern reverse proof.

My image:

My Eisenhower Dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry):
    https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-specialty-sets/eisenhower-dollars-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-proof-1971-1978/publishedset/119137

Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike Dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354

The Eisenhower Dollar Meeting Room: https://www.facebook.com/groups/933585237044733

edited September 7, 2020 3:40PM

@darth_morgan said:
    To my eye, this is unquestionably proof-like. Congrats on this acquisition, and it's even a "blue" 71-S! I have some 1971-D Ikes that were, in theory, struck on Cu-Ni proof planchets, and they look very similar. One even looks like a reverse proof on the obverse.

The seller images, while blurry, actually show the PL quality better than my photo.

This is a "raw" slab shot of a different coin to show how clean it is. There is NO annealing drum chatter present. I can't believe it only got a 65. It is SUPER brilliant. I have several like this, all PCGS MS65.

A "reverse proof-like" Ike. First pics are seller photos. The fields actually appear frosty, though not nearly to the degree of a modern reverse proof.

My image:

None of those are remotely close to being fully PL. Cartwheel luster and mint frost are the antithesis of a PL designation. Some coins have a semi-PL bowl luster, but I don't think that is what we are seeing.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least from your video: I’d say just semi-PL obverse, possibly PL reverse.

There really is no substitute for an in hand review of these before making a determination as to whether PL is appropriate. Dart_Morgan... I am not critical of your images. I just don't think PL surfaces resonate well in photos. I do like your 71-D

• I was an under bidder on this one, I was able to see it in hand as the coin shop was located about an hour from me. After seeing it in hand I felt it was also a semi-PL coin. It is a sweet pick up and I attached a picture of my current PL Ike slot holder. This coin is nearly DPL on one side. Sorry I do not have any other pictures at the time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file