Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

When you cross coins from NGC to PCGS .....

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 5, 2020 2:49PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Do you send in the NGC label to request that NGC delete that particular coin from their pop database ?

If so, what is your experience with NGC fulfilling your request to do so?

Thank you,

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

I usually hand them over at NYINC - never followed up to see if they were removed.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

@1960NYGiants said:
    I usually hand them over at NYINC - never followed up to see if they were removed.

I have a ton of NGC labels regards mexiican cap & rays 8 reales that I have yet to give back to NGC.

I was thinking of submitting pics of the labels instead of the labels themselves.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Responded to your other thread. My experience is not great with NGC updating top pops after sending in the labels

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Responded to your other thread. My experience is not great with NGC updating top pops after sending in the labels

Thanks for sharing this fact of your experience.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not personally recall cracking out or crossing an NGC slabbed coin.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never crossed NGC to PCGS or the other way, but I think the decent thing to do is to return the labels. I have bought coins that were crossed and the census was updated on return of the labels.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some labels sitting in my desk that should probably be sent back.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually rubber-band any that I have together and hand them over at the NGC table at any major show. They always ask me for a customer number so that they can credit me their 50c/insert finders fee or whatever, but I just wave them off. I don't follow up on most of them to see if they've been removed, but in a few cases where it was obvious (like if I was crossing an NGC MS66 where the next highest was a 62, and I was later looking at the same NGC census), I've noticed anecdotally that they have updated their database.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

My experience is not great either way PCGS or NGC with updating their populations.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 10:54AM

I spoke with an executive at Heritage and I have decided to return ALL of my NGC certs that have crossed to PCGS back to NGC.....Heritage will be doing on my behalf ( legacy service ) .

;) edit to say I will first take photos of the certs for my own records !

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2021 7:01AM

I have crossed a coin once, a 1933 South Africa penny from PCGS to NGC. The buyer asked me to do it. I didn't bother sending in the label

I also own the 1759 PCGS MS-63 Peru 2R that shows up in both but I know it is the same coin. I saw it on a dealer website before I bought it at auction and they confirmed it. Presumably the consigner crossed it but did not have it removed from the NGC data.

What is being described here is one of the risks of repeated cross over, inflated populations which may later lead others to believe coins are more common and suppress the price level.

This is usually more than offset by the virtual certainty that many more remain ungraded but that's a second consideration.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2021 2:45AM

@bidask said:
    Do you send in the NGC label to request that NGC delete that particular coin from their pop database ?

If so, what is your experience with NGC fulfilling your request to do so?

Thank you,

If I send it in, and it crosses, PCGS is not going to return the empty NGC slab. So I was expecting that they should be doing that ,especially if a (single) top pop is on the line.... This is not theoretical , I have to decide how to do it with this coin below. I want it in a PCGS holder and PCGS has one single 66 RD and a couple of 64 RD, because they are incredibly difficult to locate in full red, whereas there is an abundance of red brown examples, some of which as high as 80-90% red.

So, what am I supposed to do if this one crosses? It is to my advantage too, that this label disappears from the NGC census (where it is the single finest), and that we know the exact amount of red gems that are no more than 2 or 3.

PS: as can be seen from the slab photo, this is a minuscule coin (and I really can’t stand them in NGC slabs, unlike larger coins), with a 17mm diameter if I recall correctly, so the image to the right is like looking at it through a 20x magnifying glass. The coin is so much more impressive in hand!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2021 4:53PM

@SYRACUSIAN they will return the paper tag inside the NGC slab with the new PCGS slab. Then you have to return it to NGC (or not).

• Options

Thank you pruebas,then I will definitely return it.

If it croosses. Do I want it in a PCGS MS 65RD holder, if I’m so determined to change it? Probably not. As in 99.999% not.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@bidask said:
    I spoke with an executive at Heritage and I have decided to return ALL of my NGC certs that have crossed to PCGS back to NGC.....Heritage will be doing on my behalf ( legacy service ) .

;) edit to say I will first take photos of the certs for my own records !

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are quite a few heavy hitters based on those labels. Do you cross at grade or allow for a drop?

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    There are quite a few heavy hitters based on those labels. Do you cross at grade or allow for a drop?

All attempts at crossing using PCGS crossover special.

All crossed at same … some better !

• Options

It is to your advantage to return these, especially those interfering with the pop number at the highest level. By eliminating these double grades, your own coins increase in value, I just don’t get why people do not return them.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own less coins than the number you have crossed! :|

• Options

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    It is to your advantage to return these, especially those interfering with the pop number at the highest level. By eliminating these double grades, your own coins increase in value, I just don’t get why people do not return them.

I agree Dimitri...I just wanted to accumulate a large batch...then return thru Heritage.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely killer @bidask

The one I was disappointed not to see was the 1881-Oa AE, Cap Style of 1880, NGC MS65.

Have you gotten around to trying that one or were you met with the same fate as I? Sweet coin even if so.

Jeff