Home Precious Metals

I’m all right Jack, keep your hands off of my stack

I was just on a road trip with my wife and she told me she thought I should buy some PM. Don’t have to tell me twice! I’m not a stacker but I have dabbled with rounds for their art. I do remember really wanting an ingot badly when the Hunt brothers cornered the market when I was a kid. Finally got one. This is my stack. :). Ok, so it’s a start. I liked the art.

Next, think I’ll buy me a football team

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking bar. Is the weight and fineness and the word "SILVER" marked on the edge? Is there a manufacturer's name or logo on the edge?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

I didn’t think to look? I went and took a photo of it. Pretty cool. I’m sure the .999FS means 99.9% fine silver. I’m guessing the number on the far right is the actual number of the bar. Not sure what the rest of it stands for.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    don't buy PMs that aren't marked with metal and purity and hopefully weight.

I avoid any silver bars that don't have this information in addition to the name or logo of the manufacturer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice bar

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!!
    Nice art work too.

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WestySteve said:
    I didn’t think to look? I went and took a photo of it. Pretty cool. I’m sure the .999FS means 99.9% fine silver. I’m guessing the number on the far right is the actual number of the bar. Not sure what the rest of it stands for.

Got lucky something was written on the side.

@PerryHall looking out for strangers' best interests :-) like a boss B)

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2020 11:55AM

Love's Ribbon
    Hamilton Mint
    HAM-203

By Alfred Brutin
    999 Fine Silver (.999 pure) 1 Troy Ounce

Mintage unknown

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

The 1666 is this bar's serial number. I see numbers 1323 closed recently and 1343 is on eBay now. So if I had to guess, the mintage ran to about 2000 pieces.

Hamilton Mint still exists as part of the Bradford Exchange (Bradford Group) based in Niles, IL.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:
    The 1666 is this bar's serial number. I see numbers 1323 closed recently and 1343 is on eBay now. So if I had to guess, the mintage ran to about 2000 pieces.

Hamilton Mint still exists as part of the Bradford Exchange (Bradford Group) based in Niles, IL.

Does it have collector value? I had that in the back of my mind when I got it but it also had cool art and came with a plastic holder.

Maybe a little if you've got the plastic case, the clamshell ring box type holder, and the COA. The last one to sell on eBay with all of that jazz went for $36 with free shipping on September 1st. The last to sell in just the clear plastic holder went for $26 on June 9th.

--Severian the Lame

Thanks. I only have the holder

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few silver art bars....Those are usually impulse buys because I like the theme - as opposed to collecting/stacking. Cheers, RickO

They’re definitely cool. I saw a thing on YouTube where a guy traded a bunch of silver bars to buy some gold coins. I have this thought in the back of my mind of buying a Saint gardens $20 or $10 Indian gold piece on the installment program. Could be fun to do along the way.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

buying on layaway has the risk of the owner closing shop for one reason or another... like death. the paperwork may not be in order

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    buying on layaway has the risk of the owner closing shop for one reason or another... like death. the paperwork may not be in order

What I meant was to buy silver over time and then cash it in for a gold coin.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

good deal

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WestySteve said:

@MsMorrisine said:

What I meant was to buy silver over time and then cash it in for a gold coin.

That's one of the best ways to do it right there. I've never done a direct swap but have sold loads of silver over the years and immediately turned those $$$ into gold coin. Direct swap via dealer always went with them wanting you to eat the premiums on both ends, no thanks. I sell direct to other collector/stacker with premium in tact then shop around for the low premium gold buy.

Actually been selling some silver lately but just holding the cash. Waiting for a dip to execute (may or may not see one). RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold a big chunk of silver to buy gold a couple of years ago.
    No regrets whatsoever.