Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Looking for information on this coin, info added that I found, The coin is real. UPDATE PCGS GRADE

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2020 9:56PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

xf details grade picture in last post...

Because you were so nice to help me I am sharing the coin and grade. I kinda figured the scratches would net grade it, but its real and kinda cool..

Comments

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming it's authentic, Great Britain/Bank of England dollar KM656, countermarked on Mexico 8 reales KM109.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these valuable?

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contemporarily known by several fun nicknames-

“Two kings but not even worth a crown”
    (The value of these was 4 shillings and change)

“The head of the fool on the bust of an a**”
    (George III was subject to episodes of madness. Charles wasn’t that well-liked in England)

edited September 4, 2020 6:53PM

For more detail on these emergency issues,
    please read THE BANK OF ENGLAND COUNTERMARKED DOLLARS, 1797-1804 by H.E. Manville.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't assume it's genuine. These require careful authentication -- counterfeits abound -- both host and c/m.

Yes @jgenn I understand, the roughness on the reverse is troublesome and the scratches on the other side of the counter-mark..... It weights right and is correct diameter. The die lines coming off George III within the stamp match ones in the pcgs holdered one under 16X magnification. It just might be a counterfeit. Anything else I should look for? it is silver.. I didn't assume it was real when I bought it, but I liked it still.. I think the coin itself is real, not sure about the stamp.. I have seen that roughness on other holdered 8 reales I have owned in the past.. I was told it was rusted dies that cause it....? The cast copies I have seen are so bad it not even close..

I think the best result would be to establish a real countermark on a contemporary counterfeit host.

Accurate weight and edge photos will be helpful. See how @TwoKopeiki presented his pieces farther down on his post.

Thanks for the link! When coin shows start up again, Ill take it to John K, he will tell me in 2 seconds what it is! My photo skills are extremely lacking as you can see...

The edge I cannot photo. It does exhibit the rectangular and circle pattern. There are areas where it went off the rails and there is some overlap..

The edge I cannot photo. It does exhibit the rectangular and circle pattern. There are areas where it went off the rails and there is some overlap..

edited November 10, 2020 12:20AM

@thebigeng said:

Congrats that you got it certified, however the genuine edging mills were engineered to keep the edge design from going "off the rails". I don't think the TPGs "graders" know enough about how these were actually made to make a truly expert decision on authenticity. Then again, I think that any coin, genuine or not, that received a genuine countermark becomes a genuine issue of the countermarking authority, and that is what the TPGs are really certifying.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, and someone should explain to me if the grade goes to the host coin or to the countermark.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking up the cert #, the coin is graded...

Grade: Genuine - XF Details (95 - Scratch)
    Pedigree: C/M - XF Details

Grade= Coin grade
    Pedigree= C/M grade, these are always "details"