Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Surprising PCGS assignment of a provenance

For the 1765 Guatemala Pillar I have been posting, PCGS assigned the ex. Richard Stuart Notation to the slab despite the previous holder making no reference to the collection nor me providing documentation. The coin is not imaged in the NGC gallery. The coin IS in fact from the Stuart collection but was sold prior to any NGC labels or NGC gallery being created.

Make no mistake, I’m happy they assigned it and prefer it but could offer no documentation to substantiate it myself.

PCGS either knew the coin and proactively assigned the provenance or assumed as much which seems less likely. Either way, pleasant but puzzling surprise upon opening my package.

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt they assumed. Nice surprise!

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that the so called "sniffer" ie their image database hit a match. That is a nice suprise!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2020 5:37AM

@SaorAlba said:
    My guess is that the so called "sniffer" ie their image database hit a match. That is a nice suprise!

Or the graders / finalizer(s) read the forums.

Nice surprise.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@SaorAlba said:

Or the graders / finalizer(s) read the forums.

Nice surprise.

I dont think it was the sniffer as the coin was in the Stuart collection from the early 80’s from what I can surmise and was submitted to NGC with the sale.

My best guess is that this coin was sold to Stuart by Don Canaparo (who vaguely remembers the coin) and that it was sourced from Dom Domingo Irigoyen (based on what Carlos Jara suggests).

Interestingly, this Freeman Craig sale from 1981 notes a “near UNC” example (note, the other highest graded coin is an AU50 today), which was being offered by a collector for $15,000. Surely a reference to this piece.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Brian

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent coin!

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a GREAT surprise ! Congrats

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad it worked out. I feel that if the collector does not specify a provenance, it’d make sense for PCGS to shoot them a quick email confirming that they want it on there.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    Glad it worked out. I feel that if the collector does not specify a provenance, it’d make sense for PCGS to shoot them a quick email confirming that they want it on there.

Agreed. No harm done, of course, but still good practice. FWIW, I’ve had the same thing happen ATS. In my case, with a less useful provenance.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certain dealers “launder” coins to remove the provenance and change the cert number. It would be interesting to see this practice backfire....

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just know one of these days I'll send in a raw piece and get a congrats on my new Hansen provenance.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news and stunning coin! I have often wondered how difficult Provenance is to get on raw coins with auction tickets. Seen a few hit eBay and was unsure.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin @Boosibri !

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-