Home Precious Metals
Options

What Are Bullion Coins?

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 3, 2020 8:14AM in Precious Metals

your definition to discuss, please.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/what-are-bullion-coins

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2020 7:05AM

US Mint refers to its bulk issue American eagles that it sells only to authorized purchasers as "bullion" but not the other flavors of American eagles which they refer to as "collector coins."

What is of great concern is USPS's definition of bullion, since they will only insure bullion if shipped registered. I have yet to find their definition and have even requested it, but no reply.

To me bullion is any precious metal not in the form of jewelry or official national coin, with the exception of bullion American eagles that are specifically issued to be bullion. Other sovereign mints (Perth, RCM) have bullion bars; the US Mint has bullion coins (it's non-collector coins).

Bullion coins are issued by national mints. Bullion rounds are issued by private mints.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 5:38PM

Any coin minted post 1970-ish that contains .900 precious metal or higher is bullion in my book. I know the mints throw around all these modern "limited edition" precious metal coins and some purchase at "collectible" premiums but at the end of the day they are all just bullion.

I highly doubt anyone is going to offer me more cans of beans when I finally realize I can't eat my silver and I exit the bunker to trade off my super limited enhanced reversed burnished privy ASE's that are more rare than a normal ASE.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bullion coin is any coin made of a precious metal and that is worth melt value or very close to melt value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

it has a privy, but is it painted?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    it has a privy, but is it painted?

Acetone works wonders on those panted eagles. Purchased many below spot because they were painted or actually in most cases decaled. Dip and good as new. Some paid more for them when issued, not sure why.

Not knocking it, just don't understand it. Many people don't like eagles at all citing the premiums. Silver is silver but I sure do like the liquidity of ASEs.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2020 6:06PM

JayTurner said:

Coins that follow the fluctuation of metals markets are considered bullion coins. Bullion coins can consist of precious metals such as gold, silver, platinum, and palladium.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    A bullion coin is any coin made of a precious metal and that is worth melt value or very close to melt value.

My opinion also.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bullion coin is any object, concept, life force, or energy phenomenon, or other existential occurrence that consiously self-identifies as a bullion coin.

It is not for me or you to define any other bullion coin but ourselves Only the self-described bullion coin may express his/her/its/they/their/xhas feelings and experiences, as to the extent of bullionness.

Even the very question utself may be perceived as somewhat offensive and threatening. One might consider being very careful and respectful when discussing this subject, if at all.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2020 8:12AM

@PerryHall said:

Then all 90% silver coinage is now bullion.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    your definition to discuss, please.

Instant bullion...

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

As a buyer.... any coin I value based on spot. Its a moving target, 15 years ago I never would consider classic gold as bullion the way it is today. I also thought back then that a ASE MS70 was bullion. Lol

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @PerryHall... A simple, yet clear definition. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, any coin worth it's metal price but has a denomination and is issued by an official country's mint...

• Options

one thing I don't like about follows the fluctuations of the PM is that something like one dollar gold would certainly move up with gold. are they bullion? I'd imagine some common details ones might be considered that, but there is a numismatic premium. now, if gold hits say $10,000 would the numismatic premium disappear on non-details common coins? then there are $20 double eagles. there are plenty of them now that are bu but not worth anything but gold value. however, low grade bu seem to be tied to the pm prices but also carry a numismatic premium, too.

I do like the trades at or near spot price, but I'd also add that it shouldn't have a numismatic premium.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some bullion coins become collectibles, and vice versa.

I wonder what direction this conversation would have taken in 1900 when we were on the gold standard and when gold was still legally monetized. I suspect that not much would be all that different in defining "bullion".

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Rooster1Rooster1 Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

What is love? <3:)

Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman
  • Options

I do like the trades at or near spot price, but I'd also add that it shouldn't have a numismatic premium.

would one dollar gold always be considered numismatic even if they trade for melt?

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

would one dollar gold always be considered numismatic even if they trade for melt?

Always? Forever? By Everyone?

Doubtful. Hope this comment is useful. 😉

• Options

in general.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Numismatic/collectible coins are what you buy from the coin shop. Bullion coins are what they become when you try to sell them back:)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

A numismatic collectible coin can also be a bullion coin and vice versa. Many modern commemorative gold and silver coins fall into both categories.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have owned a ton of ex-jewelry 1 and 2.5 dollar gold . I never paid more than melt but sold them on ebay almost immediately for significant premiums .

I think I eventually decided that because premiums for non ruined coins of those types were so high there was a decent sized population of fools willing to overpay for junk examples.

I would run 7 day auctions start at a penny and disclose all issues in writing and in photos

It is actually hard to do this now that ebay has ruined itself catering to idiot mobile device buyers . A lot of times when morons buy from a tiny phone the descriptions are not always read and tiny pictures on tiny screens lead to idiot buyers complaints.

You would think it would be self evident that when spending hundreds of dollars on a coin actually looking at the pics closely and you know, reading the description would be useful.

but not to the legions of cellphone internet browsing zombies ;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

This.

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    @PerryHall said:

This.

Golly!
    Nice work team! 👍

• Options

@Baley said:

@Jimnight said:
    @PerryHall said:

This.

Golly!
    Nice work team! 👍

https://www.pcgs.com/news/what-are-bullion-coins

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Most gold, platinum, palladium and silver coins minted since the first Krugerrand are bullion. A very few have become collectible like the regular strike Jackie Robinson $5.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2020 11:39AM

Commodities of silver and gold ( and other precious metals, now) coins, purchased at 30% premium to spot from authorized manufacturers ( gov.com) .... give or take a buck. And, of course, trading plus or minus a few percentage points around spot forever more in the open (controlled) market. And they sure are pretty.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

90% halfs and gold 20 francs , stick the rest where the sun dont shine B)