Home Sports Talk

Forgotten Athletes

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's just have a peek at some athletes that had our attention in the past, but we may have forgotten about. I have nothing else to do. I don't work. Or do I?

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 12:04PM

Running back Shaun Alexander was pretty good when he played for the Seattle Seahawks. He had an 9 year career and rushed for 9,453 yards and 100 TD's.

Kenny Lofton had a 17 year MLB career. He finished with 622 stolen bases and 2,428 hits.

Randall Cunningham was fun to watch. He had a 16 year career and finished with 29,979 passing yards and 207 TD's. He also had 4,928 rushing yards.

My wife asks me what I do on here all the time. I tell her it's a secret, she doesn't need to know!!

edited August 31, 2020 12:38PM

Tennessee Titans running back Eddie George finished his career with 10,441 rushing yards and 68 TD's.

Yes.

Dale Murphy was a great player at one time. He finished his career with 398 HR's and 2,111 hits.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    My wife asks me what I do on here all the time. I tell her it's a secret, she doesn't need to know!!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry Wilson, defensive back for the St. Louis Cardinals, was known as "the toughest player in the NFL."

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 1:43PM

I'm trying to think who it is that I'm trying to remember but I've forgotten who it was that I'm trying to think of.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat LaFontaine - drafted 1 spot ahead of Steve Yzerman in 1983. Hall of Famer who once scored 148 points in a season before his career was wrecked by injuries. Great player who grew up 5 minutes from me in Waterford, MI.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll never forget old what's his name.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grant Hill - otherworldly at one point

Tim Lincecum

Eric Lindross

Steve Young

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Joba Chamberlain was a phenom pitcher when he was with the Yankees, but then faded away. Back in 2007 his Bowman Superfractor 1/1 card was the hottest card on the planet.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Priest Holmes was really fun to watch. He rushed for 8,100 yards and 86 TD's.
    Had really good blocking when he was in KC.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    edited August 31, 2020 6:04PM

I always enjoyed watching Vikings running back Robert Smith play. He was fast and was really great for a period of time.

Running back Curtis Martin was great also, and ended his career with 14,101 rushing yards and 90 TD's.

Andruw Jones was a heck of a player and ended his career with 434 HR's and 1289 RBI's. He was also a 10x Gold Glove winner.

edited August 31, 2020 6:22PM

And now a word from our sponsor, Unemployed monkey.

edited August 31, 2020 6:30PM

Why does this thread have an unemployed theme? Could I be hinting around that I don't work? Or do I? I'll never reveal the true answer to that question!!

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite third baseman growing up and still is. He was a great player and very competitive.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I always enjoyed watching Vikings running back Robert Smith play. He was fast and was really great for a period of time.

Retired at the top of his game

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Foster had one great season for the steelers back in 1992.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

also, Christian Okoye was good for a few years

Rich Gannon had some really good years at QB as well

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:

@doubledragon said:

Retired at the top of his game

Incredibly intelligent person. I think he is a Doctor. He is a guest on a local sports talk radio station from time to time, Great, insightful speaker.

As a Viking, he averaged 4.8 yards per carry. That's very good.

@craig44 said:

Rich Gannon had some really good years at QB as well

I was Gannon fan when the Vikings drafted him and always thought they didn't give him a fair shot at winning the starting spot. He did start a lot of games, but it always seemed that they didn't have confidence in him.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt were pretty darn good for the Rams.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heisman trophy winner Billy Sims.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Koufax was done by 30

Lefty ODoul also deserves a mention. only played in 970 games. but boy, was he great

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first name I thought of was Cesar Geronimo. He was never great, but he played more games for the Big Red Machine in '75 - '76 then anyone but Rose, he won Gold Gloves in CF both years, and I never hear his name mentioned when those teams are discussed, and he's the only one (other than some of their forgettable pitchers) who doesn't get mentioned.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
    edited September 2, 2020 5:45PM

@coolstanley said:
    Heisman trophy winner Billy Sims.

If you ever saw Billy play you knew how GREAT he truly was. Injuries cost him but he is one of the greatest College football players ever. He should have won back to back Heismans. He was as good as they get in college and that is saying a lot. The best RB OU ever had and that includes, Greg Pruitt, Joe Washington, Steve Owens, and yes, Adrian Peterson. Sims was as dominant as Herschel, Bo, and Tony D,,

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2020 6:10PM

I did see Sims play in person back in 82. The Lions drafted some great RB's in the 80's. Sims and then Sanders...both heisman winners. I also remember the time when Sims scored the winning TD against the 49ers in 1981...the year the 49ers won the Super Bowl. The Lions were hard to beat in the Silverdome.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited September 2, 2020 6:29PM

@coolstanley said:
    I did see Sims play in person back in 82. The Lions drafted some great RB's in the 80's. Sims and then Sanders...both heisman winners. I also remember the time when Sims scored the winning TD against the 49ers in 1981...the year the 49ers won the Super Bowl. The Lions were hard to beat in the Silverdome.

You are spot on there. Sanders was in a league of his own (based on the players I actually saw play). He was the best IMHO. I actually went to school with Gundy and kept in touch for a little while after, I recall him saying, (paraphrase) Sanders is going to make us all forget the loss of Thurman Thomas. Of course, we were skeptical but boy was he right.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lafontaine should only be pictured as an Islander

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about Al Oliver?
    Solid career, solid numbers.

I remember Cecil Fielder just Mashing in the early 90's. hitting the ball on the roof of old tiger stadium

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2020 7:21AM

@Darin said:
    Priest Holmes was really fun to watch. He rushed for 8,100 yards and 86 TD's.
    Had really good blocking when he was in KC.

Followed by Larry Johnson who took over for him

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rocky Colavito and Jim Gentile and Robin Roberts