Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS "97"

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D:D:D

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can they call that no date? Nice piece btw.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

Thanks, can you tell me the date?

I did include the reverse image.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat!

@cameonut2011 said:

I can be a 1971-1979. It looks to be a stronger strike which would place it in the 70's not '97.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice error!

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

It's at least a partial date. With that said, I didn't think about the ambiguity suggested by the other poster.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 4:26PM

Very nice! For some reasons, these remind me of guitar picks :D

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty dang cool!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely cool! B)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2020 4:34PM

@Errors
    @Kliao said:
    Neat!

@cameonut2011 said:

I can be a 1971-1979. It looks to be a stronger strike which would place it in the 70's not '97.

It's definitely a 1970s "P" clad coin.

Not a 1997 as it uses a different punch for the "9".

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... That is a unique partial strike...No way to be sure of the date...Thanks for showing us... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 4:45PM

Well it's clad and it's a 50¢ planchet, so I'd get it corrected before 2097 rolls around.

Is there a way to tell if those are the middle two digits or the last two? From the reverse alignment I would suppose you could figure it out.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    Well it's clad and it's a 50¢ planchet, so I'd get it corrected before 2097 rolls around.

Imagine if we're making plastic coins in 2097 and the Mint makes a nostalgic clad version ;)

• Options
    edited August 30, 2020 4:52PM

@ms70 said:
    Is there a way to tell if those are the middle two digits or the last two? From the reverse alignment I would suppose you could figure it out.

It's the middle two, not the last two, based on the punches used in the 70s vs 90s.

It's also a no mintmark "P" coin.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

Obviously struck in the year 97.

I call em as I see em, unencumbered by the thought process. :)

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

I think it's a 1975! ;)

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good one!

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was in my collection in a 2x2 or a flip, I would "Date" it "X97X"

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@MWallace said:

I would have dated it 197X since the first digit is obviously a one.

I get what you're saying, but in the old days (before slabs), we would label a coin with the numbers of the date that are present, use an "X" for those that aren't present, and put the numbers in ( ) that are known but not present. So in the case of this coin either "X97X" or (1)97X would work. I preferred "X97X". Lets say that a 90% silver Half or a Bicentennial Half were struck off center with none of the date showed, it would be "dated" on the label as (1964) or (1976) respectively.

Any old time error collectors out there that want to back me up? Please? :)

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Nice error.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2020 7:10PM

• Options
    edited August 30, 2020 7:05PM

@Zoins said:

@Errors
    @Kliao said:
    Neat!

@cameonut2011 said:

It's definitely a 1970s "P" clad coin.

Not a 1997 as it uses a different punch for the "9".

Isn't the mint mark usually higher? How can you tell it is a P or plain versus a branch mint? Not my series...

• Options

@TitusFlavius said:
    I think it's a 1975! ;)

It's a Carr fantasy error! >:)

• Options
    edited August 30, 2020 7:10PM

@PerryHall said:

@MWallace said:

@IkesT said:

@ms70 said:

There could also be an issue with rotated dies so the position relative to the reverse wouldn't necessarily be 100% conclusive...

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm.... 97 is a prime number...

• Options

@messydesk said:

Interesting, but don't you go by the full date? 1973, 1979, and 1997 are all prime numbers. 1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977, and 1978 are not. We can rule out 1970 (not 40%) and 1975 (no dated pieces that year).

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@messydesk said:

Interesting, but don't you go by the full date? 1973, 1979, and 1997 are all prime numbers. 1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977, and 1978 are not. We can rule out 1970 (not 40%) and 1975 (no dated pieces that year).

Yes, I go by the full date, and the date has to be full. This coin would go into the oddball appendix of an already admittedly oddball collection.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done IkesT!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

while you are at it, do an overlay to find the normal round edge where the error is at and you'll find this o/c is closer to 97% than 90%. that extra metal is squeezed out quite a bit.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    while you are at it, do an overlay to find the normal round edge where the error is at and you'll find this o/c is closer to 97% than 90%. that extra metal is squeezed out quite a bit.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2020 9:43PM

@LanceNewmanOCC

Edit: Sorry, I got mixed up up the first time!

If it is more than 90% off, then you should be able to line up more than 10 of those segments in the coin.

Since you can line up slightly less than 10 segments in the coin, that indicates the strike is in fact less than 90% off center (but not much less).

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

I have a Type-2 clad quarter o/c probably 98%. Only area showing is the curved rim. Much like the red circled area in the above photo. It has a hint of the copper core showing. Wonder if it is worth the cost of submission.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2020 10:16PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I have a Type-2 clad quarter o/c probably 98%. Only area showing is the curved rim. Much like the red circled area in the above photo. It has a hint of the copper core showing. Wonder if it is worth the cost of submission.

I'm afraid I don't know, but would also be interested in knowing the answer!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@PerryHall said:

@MWallace said:

I get what you're saying, but in the old days (before slabs), we would label a coin with the numbers of the date that are present, use an "X" for those that aren't present, and put the numbers in ( ) that are known but not present. So in the case of this coin either "X97X" or (1)97X would work. I preferred "X97X". Lets say that a 90% silver Half or a Bicentennial Half were struck off center with none of the date showed, it would be "dated" on the label as (1964) or (1976) respectively.

I've seen well worn one year type coins such as the chain cent without any trace of the date in PCGS slabs with the date 1793 rather than No Date or XXXX. I just wish they would be consistent.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@MWallace said:

@PerryHall said:

@MWallace said:

I've seen well worn one year type coins such as the chain cent without any trace of the date in PCGS slabs with the date 1793 rather than No Date or XXXX. I just wish they would be consistent.

A slick chain cent was struck with a full date, so using 1793 would be consistent.

One case that isn't covered is if the date is known only because of the context of the coin's find. If the OP coin had been added to a collection first in 1971, it would be known to be a 1971 half. In 1971, (1)97(1) would have made sense, but in 1972, it would have needed additional explanation. I have a (2007-D) MEL Washington $1, known to be a D because it was in an original roll and is now in a "First Day" slab. Were it pulled from circulation, it would be a (2007-X)... or (2007)-X.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC

I realized that, with the image in hand, there is a far easier and more accurate way to calculate the percentage off center of the strike - by using the measuring tool in a photo editing program. I used GIMP, but you can use Photoshop or whatever.

First, draw a line from one end of the coin to the other, passing directly through the middle of the struck area. Use the measuring tool to confirm that this is, in fact, the longest line you can draw through the coin. Record the measurement - in this case, it is 583 pixels. Now, measure the segment going through only the struck area - in this case, 58.3 pixels.

The struck area corresponds to exactly 10% of the total distance from one end of the coin to the other, meaning that it was struck 90% off center, on the dot (or as close to the dot as I can measure, anyway ;) ).

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 6:23PM

@IkesT said:
    The struck area corresponds to exactly 10% of the total distance from one end of the coin to the other, meaning that it was struck 90% off center, on the dot (or as close to the dot as I can measure, anyway ;) ).

well done!

so much for eyeballin' it.

edited to add: your post also helped my brain to answer a long un-answered question. do dies (from this period have preset distances the dies travel. in this case, no. the dies come all the way together. allowing for a little thin piece to be fully struck.

now i think about it, that question should have already been answered by clashed dies.

so NOW the question is, where did i pick up that dies have a preset distance. die adjustment strikes/weak strikes? different machines for different eras?

so then weak/die adjustment have some sort of pressure/hydraulic/weight issue.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC

The explanation of weak strikes on error-ref.com refers to striking pressure and die clearance as both being contributing factors, which would indicate that both of them are adjustable:

http://www.error-ref.com/weak_strikesinsufficientrampressure/#:~:text=Definition: A weak strike results,(excessive minimum die clearance).&amp;text=Insufficient die approximation refers to,the absence of a planchet.

It does appear that, under normal settings, dies are able to clash and undersized pieces of metal can still be struck up, at least to some degree. Both of these are variable, of course. You can have slight to very strong die clashes. Coins struck on undersized planchets can come out looking very differently from each other. Quarters struck on 10c stock, for example, can be very weakly struck or practically fully struck, in some cases.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file