Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The first 1968 PF. Cent "70"? Actual coin TV photo!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 28, 2020 11:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Found this while going through a roll of PF. '68'S. Check this coin out! First, by it's exquisite toning. Then, I looked and searched for any nics, dings or hits. Couldn't find any. Kinda dark but very attractive and toned. Only issue, a couple of small tics of carbon spots. Urggg.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options

Ok, thanks

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2020 10:37AM

PR65RB.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR64BN.

• Options

What would knock down the grade so much? Carbon ?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

You have it in hand. So seriously, why don’t you try looking at it objectively and report any shortcomings.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@joeykoins said:

You have it in hand. So seriously, why don’t you try looking at it objectively and report any shortcomings.

Ok, I will do that!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

See if the coin has just one flaw, if so it's not a 70. I see a scratch to the right of the memorial under MERICA, don't you?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

An ultra common proof in a very ordinary grade that would command virtually no money in the current market. Forget about finding raw "70" coins from that era. It isn't going to happen.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    You need to look at a lot more coins and take off your multiple pairs of rose-colored glasses, if you really think that one has any chance at a 70.

Not to mention seeing an ophthalmologist.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Youd be lucky to get apf65 on that one

• Options
    edited August 29, 2020 4:22PM

In the sun...

Sorry guys, I'm in love with this coin. Lol. <3

• Options
    edited August 30, 2020 9:00AM

@AUandAG said:
    See if the coin has just one flaw, if so it's not a 70. I see a scratch to the right of the memorial under MERICA, don't you?

bob :)

Are you talking about this?

That's all? Is that a scratch or a Strike-Through?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2020 5:08PM

The strike isn’t sharp, the surfaces are unevenly colored and lackluster. The eye-appeal is neutral, at best. There look to be lines/flaws on each side. There’s nothing remotely special about the coin. Look at and compare it with on-line images of high grade PCGS examples.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2020 5:31PM

@MFeld said:

the surfaces are unevenly colored...

:D

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to search for PR/MS 70s, I'd suggest picking up a run of cheap slabbed MS and PR coins in various grades so you can compare and learn.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2020 11:03PM

delete

• Options
    edited August 30, 2020 7:28AM

@wondercoin said:

Beautiful. <3
    Thanks

• Options
    edited August 30, 2020 8:37AM

How sweet? Thank you! ;)
    This whole thread, about my undesirable penny. Reminds me of my wife and I, about 20 years ago, shopping to buy a puppy. We found this one dog shop and this one dog caught my eye! It was a Siberian Husky. The dog also at first looked "undesirable ". She had mixed color of hair and one eye was brown, but the other eye was blue. I'm telling you, right away I fell in love with her. I wanted to take her home but my wife DIDN'T. She kept telling me she was too ugly and undesirable. So in the end, we did purchase her and brought her home. Before you know it, my wife fell in love with her as well. So you see, what one person sees, may not agree with the other person. I certainly appreciate ALL the advise and explanations and examples you guy's gave me but nobody's going to talk me out of liking, no, loving this coin. Lol. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. <3 Here is the dog nobody seemed to like but me. Gone to Heaven, 15 years ago
    Jenna

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is ok to 'love' a coin.... and certainly you should keep such a coin. However, do not confuse love with reality. Coins are not canines....they do not have personalities, only grades. PR70 is perfection in coins, and that cent is far from perfect - as outlined above. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

not a chance for a 70!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@wondercoin said:
    This is what a 67 looks like... I’ve got a few rainbow toned 69 quality coins in safeflips in a bank vault I haven’t visited in a while. If I get there soon, I’ll pull a few to submit to PCGS and picture.

Wondercoin

Similar? I do realize yours doesn't compare. Lol.

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    PR64BN.

Well, I got the results. You may be correct?
    I still love it! <3

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the grade?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    What was the grade?

PR 64 BN

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

you still love the coin, that's what matters.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2020 8:48PM

Not too shabby JK

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The grade of "70" exists only in plastic. The coin you show is a very ordinary 1968-S and deserves the low grade it received. These days some dealers are tossing common date proof coins like that into their store change. As was said earlier in this thread you need to take off the rose colored glasses ( a comment that now has 15 "agrees").

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

as long as you love it joe, God Bless you then :)

• Options

I might as well pile on.... :D

I know the pics probably don't do the coin justice, but based only on them I'd say that is one ugly proof cent.

I don't fault you for keeping it or liking it, just for spending the money to have it entombed. But, you came back with the results, which is something most people might not do. So, its a net plus for you. :p

• Options
    edited September 28, 2020 12:30PM

So, I was only 6 grades off. Lol

Brown? Looks "Red" to me, doesn't it? Esp. The reverse. It literally appears red.
    PF. 64

• Options

@mothra454 said:
    OMG Joey I know you were hoping for a higher grade but I hope that razor is just for slitting open the package!!

Now, that's really funny, dude! Lol.lol. :D

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any interest in doing a 7070 type set? You find good album coins. Save a lot of money on grading fees too.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

if you are truly wanting expert opinions on coins and you are going to continually post them (which is fine), you really need to invest in a professional level camera/lens and loupe.

anyone with a good business sense knows that quality investments save/make money, not cost you.

we can then better give you usable advice from better information (pics) from better equip which will easily pay for itself in less submissions and higher/better results. $300-700 is nothing in numismatics over a period of years and that is what needs to be spent with the kind of decisions you are making and money you are spending.

also, i'm not sure how many coins you are submitting per package but you really ought to be doing at least 4, preferably 7-10 based on the average value of coin you have posted. either you are going to get better, make some hits or pour money down the drain. so long as you are having fun, getting a few hits, i'd invest much more money and look for coins with realistic bigger upside.

you can also send different submission levels in one package to pcgs and either have them come back separately (as different tiers take more/less time) or have them come back together. although depending one what is sent off can be a bit contradictive as paying for a higher-tier service if not because of value will delay the coins coming back to you sooner, which negates the higher tier (if not for value).

if you aren't up for learning how to image coins with a dslr or mirror-less camera, get a couple of decent lamps and at least a level 6 iphone or equivalent.

hope it helps.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

• Options
    1. The coin looks much better in the TV photos.

2. I am starting to think you are living in your car since every photo is taken there. (Do you have shaving cream in the glove compartment to go with that razor?). :D

3. I cringe when I see all these single coin submissions which are chewing up a huge amount of money that could be spent on other coins.

4. I think (not sure) that "red" and "brown" are not just an indicator of color, but degree of toning. Red is mostly original/untoned, and brown is toned/tarnished some color or another.

5. I didn't look but I think the photo of the package shows your name and address. :#

Just my opinions....

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@joeykoins said:

if you are truly wanting expert opinions on coins and you are going to continually post them (which is fine), you really need to invest in a professional level camera/lens and loupe.

anyone with a good business sense knows that quality investments save/make money, not cost you.

we can then better give you usable advice from better information (pics) from better equip which will easily pay for itself in less submissions and higher/better results. $300-700 is nothing in numismatics over a period of years and that is what needs to be spent with the kind of decisions you are making and money you are spending.

also, i'm not sure how many coins you are submitting per package but you really ought to be doing at least 4, preferably 7-10 based on the average value of coin you have posted. either you are going to get better, make some hits or pour money down the drain. so long as you are having fun, getting a few hits, i'd invest much more money and look for coins with realistic bigger upside.

you can also send different submission levels in one package to pcgs and either have them come back separately (as different tiers take more/less time) or have them come back together. although depending one what is sent off can be a bit contradictive as paying for a higher-tier service if not because of value will delay the coins coming back to you sooner, which negates the higher tier (if not for value).

if you aren't up for learning how to image coins with a dslr or mirror-less camera, get a couple of decent lamps and at least a level 6 iphone or equivalent.

hope it helps.

While investing in good equipment may make sense in some cases I think it’s bad advice here. Joey needs to stop buying and submitting coins until he learns what he is doing. You can take a perfectly fine picture of any of these coins he has posted to get a sense of their condition and value. Anything other than looking at (and not buying) lots of coins would be wasted time and money.
    The enthusiasm is terrific but without some semblance of financial discipline it’s going to make for a suboptimal collecting experience.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

The BN designation is perfect for that coin, it is not and should not be considered as RD.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Brown? Looks "Red" to me, doesn't it? Esp. The reverse. It literally appears red.

Red designation is a misnomer, it's really just bright copper color. Brown is inclusive of every color that isn't considered red(bright copper).
    So remember, red is copper, and brown isn't necessarily brown, and RED is brown ;)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, a $6 coin in a holder.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Wow, a $6 coin in a holder.

That is a very generous estimate of value for the coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll give him $12

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2020 10:47PM

@joeykoins said:

So, I was only 6 grades off. Lol

PF. 64

Likely a very low pop in 4 BN.
    (I could look it up but too lazy right now)
    Milk and sell!
    (By the way, I kinda dig the coin.)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it will sound harsh, but having that coin graded was a waste of money. many/most of us have been through this, hopefully you can learn and not make the same mistake again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file