Home U.S. Coin Forum

Seeking true expertise...This penny is on FIRE! And what are those "ocean ripples" from?!

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many have probably noticed the "ripples" that can sometimes be seen on the coin's mirrored surfaces when holding the coin at the correct angle.
So what the heck are those ripples from?! Please and thank you :smile:
I can't even find a reference to what these ripples are actually called.

My honest guess has been that they are from a polishing choice on the die that show on very high quality strikes?
Who is a true expert and can explain?

I posted this penny on reddit and it caused quite a stir...
Hundreds of upvotes but nobody explained those lovely ripples.
One interesting guess was that it's zinc changing shape after minting, but I have no idea...and I can see it on a brand new 2020 penny I have.

No joke it's the most incredible coin I have ever seen, held, or owned.
I've been collecting for over 40 years and have a whole lot of Proof 70's.
But this penny, this is a life affirming penny.
It really looks alive like this, even in dim light.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Tagged:

Comments

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll get better answers elsewhere....

But It is interesting in that the proper polished finish is there for a proof, but the waviness is certainly not normal....

I'm guessing either
    1) An improperly finished die(?), (jumped to the polish stage before finished).....

2) Or damage during striking(?) Certainly looks more significant than die wear, but don't know what it could strike to impart that pattern.

I'm sure someone will know....or be a better guesser than me....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be the refraction (the bending of light rays from one medium to another) of the light from the slab. Those lines may not appear when it is outside the slab.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those platting bubbles are very common in both Proof and MS copper platted zinc coins from 1984 into the early 90's.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another example. ;)

• robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

In reality it would be harder to find a Lincoln during those years that don’t have platting issues.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh....would not have guessed plating issues could be that severe. But there are enough examples in this thread to tell me different.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting on a proof coin......certainly stands out. Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    It is a type of planchet defect that is common on zinc cents. Commonly called plating bubbles or occluded gas. Your coin has more of lines than bubbles.

Yep ... I total agree. In fact you can see the lines real clear in the second photo with zoom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file