Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Classic PCI Holder...

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up today, knowing my favorite B+M Shop had it in the display case. Just yesterday I found out what these really are. I got word about these in another thread. Showing the history of the PCI Slabs. Are these really special like they claim they are? Thanks for any reply, guy's. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the old holders that you rarely see anymore. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a first for me.
    I like the looks of it. :)

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many people do collect the photo slabs.

• Options
    BAYOUBENGALBAYOUBENGAL Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Great memories

BAYOUBENGAL
    CFA, LSU AND ANA
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are cool holders to collect for the history but I'm not sure I would use the term special to describe them.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2020 5:28PM

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2020 5:49PM

Is it me or does the Morgan seem to have a touch of PL and Cameo appearance? Cartwheel Luster for sure!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would advise against putting money into MS-61 Morgans at this point. The price of silver is high and common dates in MS-61 are likely to take a fall if the price of silver declines. The holders may be interesting but finding someone who will actually pay a premium for them may be quite a feat. If offered to my local dealer he would buy them as raw since they are not in a PCGS or NGC holder. He does not buy into the "rare slab" market at all.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Thanks for the head's up. The last time I purchased a coin in a PCI slab, big time problems. Does anybody see any sort of problem for this coin in the PCI slab? :*

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like those old photo certs. Nice toning.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2020 8:21PM

The photo, right (viewers right) of the actual coin, is that the Morgan to the left? To think, if it is, how the coin changed in appearance! Of course, it's been almost 30 yrs.sitting in the tomb.

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best part of this is that you were so excited to share, you couldn’t even wait to get out of your car before taking pictures.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2020 9:18PM

That's my "dark room" for photo taking, don't you know that? Lol. ;)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score. I do like that one

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old PCI holders are interesting, I saw a few when I used to get to shows in the PNW. The picture is not necessarily an accurate representation of the coin... We know from all the comparative pictures of different lighting that have been shown here on the forum, that coin photography does not necessarily represent the coin in hand. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited August 29, 2020 8:36AM

Thanks RickO, for touching on the photo subject. I was wondering? Not a bad idea, if the coin is the actual one shown. This shows the age prossess of the coins, the before and after result. On what the elements can do to any coin. ;)

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer to your questions depends greatly what you mean by special and who they are. ;)

These holders are from the "original" PCI company, before the name became "PCI" and the new owners (at the time) bought up the stock and rights to the Hallmark holders from Dave Bowers' disbanded grading company.

Many of the coins you used to find in these holders were graded accurately at the time which roughly translates into being graded conservatively by today's guidelines. Many of those coins have been cracked out and reside in modern plastic.

As far as collectability, these slabs are collectable for the plastic so I agree that the holders are special. I have a few dozen and will pick them up if reasonably priced (which is becoming a rarer event).

One last note ... I have not seen examples where the image was not the coin in the holder. I don't believe they produced a 'generic' coin slab with a standard image and inserted a 'date of our choice' coin (like is often seen with Global holders).

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@astrorat said:
    The answer to your questions depends greatly what you mean by special and who they are. ;)

These holders are from the "original" PCI company, before the name became "PCI" and the new owners (at the time) bought up the stock and rights to the Hallmark holders from Dave Bowers' disbanded grading company.

Many of the coins you used to find in these holders were graded accurately at the time which roughly translates into being graded conservatively by today's guidelines. Many of those coins have been cracked out and reside in modern plastic.

As far as collectability, these slabs are collectable for the plastic so I agree that the holders are special. I have a few dozen and will pick them up if reasonably priced (which is becoming a rarer event).

One last note ... I have not seen examples where the image was not the coin in the holder. I don't believe they produced a 'generic' coin slab with a standard image and inserted a 'date of our choice' coin (like is often seen with Global holders).

Why, thank you kindly for all your valuable information, dude.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

3rd generation of these

1st gen had the grade in white on the bottom right corner of the photo
    2nd generation dropped the grade
    3rd generation added the cert# in the blank space on the reverse like OPs
    4th generation added a bar code

After Hallmark died, PCI bought the assets and switched over to the small white holder with the cut corners.

As grading goes these are pretty honest, but the changes in standards are more extreme. The ANA standards were published in 1981. By the late 80s there was starting to be pushback.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2020 9:27AM

Price opinion. I paid, $40. Too high? Fair? Great deal? PCGS 's Price Guide, lists a ms 61 for $57. I do realize a couple of things. That the coin is not in a PCGS holder and PCGS's Price Guide is not always accurate. Could maybe, since it has been awhile since this coin was graded, could it possibly be a higher grade? Thanks guy's. :)

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

$40 is a good price.

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

It's hard to go wrong at that price when melt is almost $22. But these are cool old holders! I bought a Franklin half in one 15 years ago for $35, and I smile every time I look at it. So I'd say that's a good investment.

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

$40 is a good price. It would probably grade 62 so not even worth thinking about cracking out, not that you were going to.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

$40 for an MS Morgan is pretty good right now. Regardless of the holder, you’re in good shape, I think.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a 1st generation slab that I eventually cracked.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually this should be referred to as the PCCI holder, not the PCI holder which was smaller. This type of holder was
    also used by other grading services from time to time.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Global used that slab as well. Interesting to have an example. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Raybo said:

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what grade did it result in and whom did you have it newly graded by? Thanks again. Very cool coin, I might add too! B)

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

As a kid in the 1980s, I recall seeing these slabs advertised regularly in Coin World. If I saw one in the wild I would definitely buy it for $40.

• Options

@BUFFNIXX said:
    Actually this should be referred to as the PCCI holder, not the PCI holder which was smaller. This type of holder was

Technically it should still be referred to as PCI since it was the same company (just changed over to the smaller slabs) and they refer to themselves with those initials on the back of the holder. Cool 2-cent but I never understood the logic for that denomination tho. Did someone at the mint decide that since they didn't make the half cent anymore and they had bought all this copper that they should start making a 2-pence? :D

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mothra454 said:

@BUFFNIXX said:

Technically it should still be referred to as PCI since it was the same company (just changed over to the smaller slabs) and they refer to themselves with those initials on the back of the holder. Cool 2-cent but I never understood the logic for that denomination tho. Did someone at the mint decide that since they didn't make the half cent anymore and they had bought all this copper that they should start making a 2-pence? :D

There was a severe coin shortage during the Civil War and it was thought that the two cent coin could be struck as fast as the cent allowing the government to put more copper coinage into circulation that much faster.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@mothra454 said:

@BUFFNIXX said:

There was a severe coin shortage during the Civil War and it was thought that the two cent coin could be struck as fast as the cent allowing the government to put more copper coinage into circulation that much faster.

Nice! According to wikipedia, it was also the first coin to feature the motto "In God We Trust!"

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@Raybo said:

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what grade did it result in and whom did you have it newly graded by? Thanks again. Very cool coin, I might add too! B)

The coin did have some luster but it also had some verdigris, as much as I hated to....I cracked it.
    IMHO it was AU'ish.
    I think I still have the photo insert somewhere around here, if I locate it would you want it?

• Options

@Raybo said, if I locate it would you want it?

Lol. No thanks. I appreciate you asking, buddy. ;)

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:

You had the Accugrade (patented, 3 compartment) holder and this 2 compartment holder (gets around the patent).

After PCI bought the Hallmark assets and switched to the small slab, several companies used the two compartment holder. The most commonly seen is Global, which used it at least to 2009 (Sacagawea's and Waffled State Quarters).

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2022 8:43AM

Sorry guys for resurrecting my old thread!
    Did so because of my recent additional
    PCI purchase.
    It's an Ancient coin, this time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file