Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking for opinions on authenticity - double struck, double dated Wheat cent

seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I mentioned in my post about the 1982 zinc Lincoln clip that it was one of only three decent coins I pulled from a lot of damaged "error" coins on eBay. The coin below was part of the same group. I believe it is an authentic Mint error, but I would like others to chime in with their opinions:

The second strike was quite weak, I do not see any evidence of a collar scar or even a rim from it. The obverse is especially odd looking because the part of the die that made the second strike was almost entirely devoid of design elements, only the last two digits of the date are visible.

I took a couple of close-up pics of the areas where the strikes overlap, shared below. The host coin is definitely genuine and weighs 3.1g. I did consider the second strike could have been from false dies. The second strike was definitely under less force than the first, as the coin is only very slightly out of round.

Please share your opinions below, I am happy to hear everyone's thoughts on the coin - good, bad, or indifferent.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will stay tuned. I'm interested in hearing how the second strike includes the 50 AND the T from the original strike.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that the wrong piece of the reverse to go with the date?

• Options
    edited August 28, 2020 3:00AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Isn't that the wrong piece of the reverse to go with the date?

i put these together kind of quick so be gentle.

That's medallic alignment, isn't it?

If you flip the cent, the "es" of states is up near Lincoln's head not near the date

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, even flipped me out.
    Great job Lance.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Danger Will Robinson! Danger!”

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless the 2nd strike was from dies rotated 180 degrees I's say PMD

• Options

@gonzer said:
    Unless the 2nd strike was from dies rotated 180 degrees I's say PMD

Except it's raised. Isn't it? It would have to be intentional.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @CaptHenway said.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an error expert but isn't odd an error like that would get down to that condition before getting pulled out of circulation?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at that coin, I first was thinking a post mint creation... but then I realized the numbers/letters are raised, so would have to be a die hit....Strange.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2020 7:20AM

I do not like it.

Looks fake to me.

• Options

The alignment is correct for a flip-over double strike. I just don't think that the second pair of dies were real.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake second strike dies- notA US mint product, imo

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

it certainly doesn't look like the standard o/c d/s but going by what little detail we can see of the second strike, the details are spot-on. i think the first thing to do besides send it off to TPG is to find any other example that has the same kind of incomplete o/c d/s.

i'm not accustomed to seeing this type of error from this time period although i'm sure there areplenty out there, so i dont' know if that adds to the variance of the look.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    it certainly doesn't look like the standard o/c d/s but going by what little detail we can see of the second strike, the details are spot-on. i think the first thing to do besides send it off to TPG is to find any other example that has the same kind of incomplete o/c d/s.

i'm not accustomed to seeing this type of error from this time period although i'm sure there areplenty out there, so i dont' know if that adds to the variance of the look.

I believe that that would be a waste of money.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reviving this thread to share an eBay auction for another odd looking 1950 double struck Lincoln Cent, this time both strikes were in collar ( and the mintmark is an S, not a D). The coin is being offered raw, I have no affiliation with the seller:

https://ebay.com/itm/RARE-GENUINE-1950-S-1c-Double-Struck-Rotated-In-Collar-MINT-ERROR/284002730625

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this in a coin roll.
    Date of coin 1936 D.
    Photo is from a week ago, and has been put away. Just call it a collection photo.
    Reverse has the same raised area.
    Hope this will help to make a clear understanding of your questions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file