Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are these worth keeping?

AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on if you like sample or old slabs.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

My Lincoln Registry

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep them.

I collect sample slabs

Frank

BHNC #203

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

They are ok. I'm not that attached to them or anything.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loving that 55 Roosie. <3 Check those 44 s Lincolns for the dd. Nice coins, not nice holders. Crackouts?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Loving that 55 Roosie. <3 Check those 44 s Lincolns for the dd. Nice coins, not nice holders. Crackouts?

The (perceived) value would be tied to the slabs; not the coins.
    The holders are the deal here.

@mannie gray said:

@joeykoins said:

If only they were marked "Hallmark" that'd be a treat.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:

@mannie gray said:

@joeykoins said:

Yes.
    I used to have a bunch of Hallmark slabs.

• mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:

@mannie gray said:

@joeykoins said:

Agreed! The PCI ones have some value though, so you could sell them if you're not into them. A similar one just fetched $38 on ebay, and someone there (not me) is listing the Photo cert one for >$300, but I'm sure he's just fishing.

https://ebay.com/itm/PCI-Sample-Slab-1956-D-Lincoln-Wheat-Cent-1991-Peach-St-Sample-Wheat-Penny-/333686577347?hash=item4db14518c3%3Ag%3AGeIAAOSwm%7EBfNpv1&nma=true&si=iUaLeGRaQwIlE0jzwqqpdpsSDnU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth keeping...to someone.

They are very collectable so if they are not your thing then make a few $$ and let someone else collect them.

@mothra454 said:

@AlanSki said:

@mannie gray said:

@joeykoins said:

Agreed! The PCI ones have some value though, so you could sell them if you're not into them. A similar one just fetched $38 on ebay, and someone there (not me) is listing the Photo cert one for >$300, but I'm sure he's just fishing.

https://ebay.com/itm/PCI-Sample-Slab-1956-D-Lincoln-Wheat-Cent-1991-Peach-St-Sample-Wheat-Penny-/333686577347?hash=item4db14518c3%3Ag%3AGeIAAOSwm%7EBfNpv1&nma=true&si=iUaLeGRaQwIlE0jzwqqpdpsSDnU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'd sell them for $38 a piece all day long!

@AlanSki said:

@mothra454 said:

@AlanSki said:

@mannie gray said:

@joeykoins said:

I'd sell them for $38 a piece all day long!

I bet haha. There's another one from the 1991 ANA that sold for $15.50 , so maybe that's more common or in worse condition. Sounds like a post in BST may be in your future...

There are collectors for sample slabs like these, a somewhat thin market for sure; but if you do not enjoy them then it seems that moving them along to those that do is a good move. To your original question if your concern is will the value of these grow; and thus be worth holding for future value; I would say not very much in a time value of money valuation.

My Lincoln Registry

@coinbuf said:
    There are collectors for sample slabs like these, a somewhat thin market for sure; but if you do not enjoy them then it seems that moving them along to those that do is a good move. To your original question if your concern is will the value of these grow; and thus be worth holding for future value; I would say not very much in a time value of money valuation.

That answers my question. I will pass them on to someone who will appreciate and enjoy them.

@AlanSki said:

@coinbuf said:

That answers my question. I will pass them on to someone who will appreciate and enjoy them.

Good idea. While we all strive to make good financial decisions, the whole point of this hobby is appreciating the beauty of what we collect.

• ksammutksammut Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Those are neat, but what does "NH99" mean? Non-Holdered and then they put a number not on the grading scale afterward?

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo cert is the second generation sample and the others followed later.
    That photo cert has sold for $50-$100 when I was following them the last few years (the $300+ example is optimistically priced in my view). The others are closer to $10-$40 range (although some might go for more if two bidders really want it for their sample set).

See here for more info:
    http://www.sampleslabs.com/pci.html

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep them because I like coins, and you AlanSki?

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2020 4:35PM

Give them to YN or your children or grandchildren to hopefully spur interest in coin collecting.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

@Raybo said:

I like coins but don't necessarily collect sample slabs. Someone else could appreciate them more than me.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raybo said:

I seriously doubt any of us keeps every coin we ever own.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2020 9:38PM

@daltex said:

@Raybo said:

I seriously doubt any of us keeps every coin we ever own.

Really daltex?
    I go through my pocket change on occasion and you're right, I don't save every coin that I have ever owned.

I'd keep those coins AlanSki, OR give them to someone that truly appreciates them.
    I kinda think that they're cool.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some collect sample slabs....so perhaps a post on the BST would engender the appropriate buyers...Cheers, RickO

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked this up this morning. All because of your thread and what that member posted about the history of these old slabs! Thanks. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep them.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less is more.
    If you're not delighted by the ownership, sell to someone who is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file