Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will this grade out a Ms??

Comments

• Options

I ran across this for $10 at a yard sale.. Is it worth the cost of a grading process???

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Polished, cleaned and unfortunately worthless except for silver assuming it is real that is.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2020 10:28PM

Too much polish residue left around stars 1-4, around the date, neck, and denticles below stars 1-4. A professional grader will see that and that's not good. If you decide to submit it for grading at PCGS or NGC, spend a little extra time cleaning up the aforementioned areas first. Good luck!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's polished. It's well-circulated. Heck, it looks so odd it might not even be real (though I think it is). It is what many folks call junk silver or a cull. However, for $10 you actually did really, really well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaned/polished, circulated, and like Tom, my gut was to question its authenticity, though it may well just be the angle of the photo and the damaged surfaces that are giving it that look.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    Cleaned/polished, circulated, and like Tom, my gut was to question its authenticity, though it may well just be the angle of the photo and the damaged surfaces that are giving it that look.

I understand your concern over authenticity yet I have discovered many of these polished Morgan dollars (with slight wear) have the appearance of other than genuine.
    Personally it is what it is, perhaps a neat coin to carry and share with friends yet with little collector value otherwise.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

At $10 you got a really good deal. With the cleaning and polishing, it's considered to be a bullion coin worth only melt value. Multiply whatever the current spot price of silver is times its weight of 0.77 Troy ounces to get the current melt value of your coin. It would make a good pocket piece.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nwarren31001.... Welcome aboard.... I agree with the above assessments... highly polished coin, no collector value... Silver melt only. Cheers, RickO

• Options

What era is this from and what is it exactly appears to be silver..The person that sd it to me told me all he knew about it was it it was made long before we were born...LOL 😆😆

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Too much polish residue left around stars 1-4, around the date, neck, and denticles below stars 1-4. A professional grader will see that and that's not good. If you decide to submit it for grading at PCGS or NGC, spend a little extra time cleaning up the aforementioned areas first. Good luck!

There's no good reason to talk about cleaning up areas of the coin for a possible submission to a grading company. The entire coin has been polished, it wont straight grade and isn't worth the cost of submission.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always carry an old hard drive magnet so you can at least test that these finds are not magnetic. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is an absolutely base value, circulated common date Morgan Dollar that has been cleaned and polished. $10 was a great price but it is not worth grading.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the comments above, but really, this is a particularly poor example. It's not even close to something that should be graded. If it even occurred to you to consider it, you need to do a BUNCH of learning before you loose a bunch of money on grading fees.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

This is worth bullion.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Circulated and cleaned Zerbe Proof ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file