Home Sports Talk
Options

Come on guys NFL talk and trash talk.

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 26, 2020 1:34PM in Sports Talk

The season is 2 weeks away. I’ll start the conversation.
Cam Newton has all but been crowned the Patriots starting QB. Probably not a big surprise. We didn’t even hear the name Stidham until Brady signed with Tampa. No one believed BB was starting him.

So Cam hasn’t played healthy in 2 years. Shoulder surgery, foot problems and he’s 31 years old. Came in late to camp, not his doing and is learning BB’s offense.

Steve Mariucci is high on Cam. Is Steve Mariucci just plain high? This is not the same league as 5 years ago. This is a league that has seen Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray. The speed factor has increased 10 fold. Cam is 31 so his speed no longer scares defensive linemen let alone linebackers. So he’s 6’5, 250. The league has linebackers 6’5, 275 and run like a deer. His days of over powering front 7 are behind him. He isn’t getting to the edge against linebackers. He never was an accurate passer relying on his athleticism. Did I mention he’s 31? So now instead of a fleet of foot train you have a lumbering dump truck. Oh he’ll have his moments of scrambling but this doesn’t go well. Lastly what weapons did the Patriots add? They’ve got an aging JE and a whole lot of unproven talent. They win games 16-10, 13-10 relying 100% on a defensive that had stars opt out and traded away.
My lock future pick was Cincinnati under 5.5. But I’m leaning on another lock Patriots under 9 or 9.5 depending on what future you look at.

So I ask again, is Steve Mariucci high on Cam or just plain high?

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think in the GOM this year the Chiefs are still the team to beat.
    All the experts are saying Helaire is a great pick and the offense is going
    to be better than last year. A healthy Mahomes could throw for 6,000 yards.
    The defensive hire of Spagnola was a genius move and basically resulted in a SB win.
    They've locked up Mahomes, Kelce, and Chris Jones for several years and are a dynasty in the making.
    Root for your favorite team all you want, but if its not the Chiefs you're coming up short of a SB win this year.

Trash talk done!

• Options

Oh I'm sorry, I just noticed 2dueces still calls it the NFL and I called it the GOM.
    Game of Mahomes.

Trash talk done 2.0!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

those 3 contracts will hamstring the chiefs after the 2021 season. they were only able to sign all 3 because they back loaded all the deals. they had better win a sb this year or next, because they will be a very shallow team once those big salary hits and low draft picks for a number of years result in mediocre talent being added to the system.

as an example, mahomes cap hit in 2027 will be 60 million. that will definitely hurt the team. even with increased caps for future years, that is an obscene and unworkable number, but it is the only way to work the extensions. mahomes hit this year isnt even 6 mil.

the only way the Patriots were able to be a 20 year winner is because of many team friendly deals, starting with brady

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh how i love me some trash talk threads. couldn't wait to get home and opine.

my team, the Bears, are going to be trash

• Options

The Bills will win their division, host a playoff game and advance. Josh Allen will be in the top 3 in MVP voting this year. With Brown, Beasley and Diggs the Bills have a top 3 receiving Corp and a QB not afraid to throw into tight windows. If Allen even takes baby steps forward and a top 3 defense again no one will want to play the Bills.
    NFL predictions
    New England under 9 wins
    Cincinnati under 5.5
    Dallas under 10
    Sooooo miss dimeman so we can hammer him in Jerry’s latest. See Next post please.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2020 6:28PM

Ravens release Earl Thomas.

Dallas Cowboys head coach asked about Earl. Mike replies it’s all about locker room chemistry. Meaning, we don’t need the distraction.

Owner Jerry Jones asked about Earl. Well I , I, I, looked at those things, I make the decisions I, I I. How the hell can you take the Cowboys seriously?

Jerry could screw up Jello. What a joke to hire a coach to replace your 8-8 flunky to undermine him. Dumb sh$t award.

Steve where are you??? Bueller? Bueller?

Paging Stevek

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Darin said:
    Oh I'm sorry, I just noticed 2dueces still calls it the NFL and I called it the GOM.
    Game of Mahomes.

Trash talk done 2.0!

The Bills are the only team capable of beating Kansas City this year. Forgot Baltimore. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@craig44 said:
    those 3 contracts will hamstring the chiefs after the 2021 season. they were only able to sign all 3 because they back loaded all the deals. they had better win a sb this year or next, because they will be a very shallow team once those big salary hits and low draft picks for a number of years result in mediocre talent being added to the system.

as an example, mahomes cap hit in 2027 will be 60 million. that will definitely hurt the team. even with increased caps for future years, that is an obscene and unworkable number, but it is the only way to work the extensions. mahomes hit this year isnt even 6 mil.

the only way the Patriots were able to be a 20 year winner is because of many team friendly deals, starting with brady

Brett Veach is the best GM in football. He was the one who convinced Andy Reid and the Hunt ownership that Mahomes should be the No. 1 pick in 2017. Trust me, he's got the future figured out for the Chiefs. Let's just take it one year
    at a time. This year the Chiefs take another Lombardi trophy home. And next year. And probably in 2027.
    Everybody wants to be on Mahomes' team. Everybody wants a Super Bowl ring. Mahomes' delivers rings.
    Players know that. That's how they got Mathieu, Frank Clark, etc. to come to K.C. That's why Sammy Watkins
    is staying in KC this year. These are the formative years of a dynasty.

• Options

However, the boyhood Dallas fan signed a four-year deal with the Ravens last year and, though he is now available again, a report from NFL Network reporter Ian Rapoport said the Cowboys were not expected to make an offer for Thomas.

When that was put to Jones, he told 105.3 The Fan: "He doesn't know what he's talking about. He has no idea what he's talking about.

"The only one that knows that is me, standing right here."

Jones said that Dallas were doing their due diligence and discussing whether Thomas was a player they wanted to go after.

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Xavier Woods are slated to be the starting safeties for Dallas, who lost versatile defensive back Byron Jones to the Miami Dolphins in free agency.

"One of the biggest things that you weigh - it's obvious but it's right - is you evaluate where we are at safety, in the secondary, with our numbers," Jones said.

"We are going to have limited time as far as our evaluation is concerned. These decisions - like the one you're talking about with Earl - they're never served up like a softball, they always come in awkward, in a lot of different ways.

"That's where I step in and basically put all this together to see whether or not it is smart to make a decision like that.

"I haven't visited personally with Earl, I don't know that anybody has, but that would probably be the next step, if we are at a point where we need to sit there and activate this thing.

Jerry being Jerry. Another long season for the Cowboys. 8-8 forever, no titles and no draft picks. Lmao. Comical.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

season cancelled

• Options

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:
    Game of Mahomes.

Trash talk done 2.0!

The Bills are the only team capable of beating Kansas City this year. Forgot Baltimore. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Yeah but I just think Game of Mahomes sounds better than Game of Allen. ;)
    Its the Game of thrones thing. Mahomes sort of rhymes. Well not really.
    But good luck to the Bills. Maybe they will be the team the Chiefs beat in the AFC
    championship game.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    season cancelled

This isn't the NBA thread bronco.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2020 7:09PM

Jerry. How can he run a football team?

The man can't even clean his own dang glasses.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pats are going to be a 5-11 team. I’m trash talking my own team 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Panthers at beginning of season...

Panthers at end of season...

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still looking forward to the NFL, but find myself right now not nearly as excited as i used to be.....

.....but okay, i'll try to muster up some enthusiasm with some trash talk:

Eagles good, Cowboys bad.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

@bronco2078 said:
    season cancelled

This isn't the NBA thread bronco.

you think the nfl owners will lock the players out and replace them with scabs when the inevitable boycott occurs?

it should be interesting

Please don't make Todd shut this thread down also.
    I like NFL trash talk threads.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where to start?

• Options

Damn it. I can’t really trash talk with my Pats now! Where was this thread when we had Brady & Co 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NFL is trash, talk complete.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Damn it. I can’t really trash talk with my Pats now! Where was this thread when we had Brady & Co 🤷‍♂️

LOL. The Chiefs play the Pats and Bucs this year. Chiefs have a pretty tough non division schedule
    with the Ravens, Texans, Bills, Saints and Bucs and Pats.

• Options

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

LOL. The Chiefs play the Pats and Bucs this year. Chiefs have a pretty tough non division schedule
    with the Ravens, Texans, Bills, Saints and Bucs and Pats.

I want to say “GO BUCS” but it would be fraudulent 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dak Prescott couldn't carry Carson Wentz's jockstrap.

Okay now i'm getting warmed up.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Dak Prescott couldn't carry Carson Wentz's jockstrap.

Okay now i'm getting warmed up.

That’s more like it!! Welcome back! Now all we need is to find an alt for dimeman. 😂

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2020 10:13AM

@perkdog said:

No matter what you say, you’ll always be a die hard Pats fan, watch every game and hope they win.
    But you should take a rain check for two weeks this year. Weeks 8 and 16. I’ll let you know what happens. 😉

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is inaccurate to state Mahomes delivers rings (plural).

Thus far he has delivered a ring (singular).

How is that for some trash talk???? :)

Go Denver, sweep the Chiefs in 2020.

• Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

No matter what you say, you’ll always be a die hard Pats fan, watch every game and hope they win.
    But you should take a rain check for two weeks this year. Weeks 8 and 16. I’ll let you know what happens. 😉

Hahahaha so your saving me the anguish huh? 🤷‍♂️😂👍👍🍻

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Jerry. How can he run a football team?

The man can't even clean his own dang glasses.

HA! the joke's on Jerry, that guy used a snotty handkerchief to clean those glasses.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    It is inaccurate to state Mahomes delivers rings (plural).

Thus far he has delivered a ring (singular).

How is that for some trash talk???? :)

Go Denver, sweep the Chiefs in 2020.

Not bad, you are correct. I'm hoping after this season it is plural. :)
    I haven't been following Denver much this offseason but did hear an
    analyst say they're supposed to be an improved team.
    I hope they get 2nd in the division and the Raiders finish last.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darin.

The Chiefs are the top dog in the NFL until someone else knocks them off of the throne.

Hail To The Chiefs; and here is hoping that Denver becomes competitive again.

Of course we are in complete agreement about the Silver and Black occupying the cellar of the AFC West. :)

• Options

The season starts a week from tomorrow and there is still very little talk about it. It might be because @perkdog doesnt have a 1000 post thread about the Patriots? Or dimeman isn’t here to banter with @stevek about the Cowboys and Eagles. Just seems like everyone is holding their breath and afraid to breathe Covid on the NFL. I for one am ready. Bills mafia!

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces Joe, this might be the first time in over a decade that I’m more excited about the NFL starting in general than I am about my Pats. I’m predicting a down year for them for obvious reasons. I definitely don’t have the usual “Attitude” about the Pats so I’m keeping myself in Check so far, I do think it’s a great time to be. Bills fan since there will probably be a changing of the guard in the AFC East and who knows, the Bills could make it to the Super Bowl and be 0-5! 💥💥

• Options

@perkdog said:
    @2dueces Joe, this might be the first time in over a decade that I’m more excited about the NFL starting in general than I am about my Pats. I’m predicting a down year for them for obvious reasons. I definitely don’t have the usual “Attitude” about the Pats so I’m keeping myself in Check so far, I do think it’s a great time to be. Bills fan since there will probably be a changing of the guard in the AFC East and who knows, the Bills could make it to the Super Bowl and be 0-5! 💥💥

I like the delivery of this punchline :D

• Options

@perkdog said:

I finally get to trash the Patriots, well since kids were born and graduated high school and @perkdog bursts my bubble. He’s trying to get out but I’m pulling him back in. So you now can root for the Patriots south. South Florida that is. 😂

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@perkdog This maybe the most talented roster Brady has ever seen. With the signing of Fournette the Bucs are loaded. Looks like an all star team.
    Brady
    Fournette
    Gronk
    Evans
    Goodwin
    Ronald Jones
    Shady
    That’s not even mentioning their top 10 defensive the last 8 games last year. They were on the field way too much dealing with 30 interceptions. That number will plummet with TB. I have to rethink that division with an aging Breez and Kamara not happy. Hmmm

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Just one week until the season starts.
    Super Bowl Champions Kansas City against Houston on Thursday night.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    @perkdog This maybe the most talented roster Brady has ever seen. With the signing of Fournette the Bucs are loaded. Looks like an all star team.
    Brady
    Fournette
    Gronk
    Evans
    Goodwin
    Ronald Jones
    Shady
    That’s not even mentioning their top 10 defensive the last 8 games last year. They were on the field way too much dealing with 30 interceptions. That number will plummet with TB. I have to rethink that division with an aging Breez and Kamara not happy. Hmmm

Thats great to see the Bucs are going all-in with Brady this year.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Patriots are going to make playoffs, and in the playoffs they are going to make some noise. This much is definite.

Belichick is the greatest coach in history, He needs 44 wins to surpass Shula. He is going to make that happen, and I don't think he intends to take the scenic route.

• Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

I finally get to trash the Patriots, well since kids were born and graduated high school and @perkdog bursts my bubble. He’s trying to get out but I’m pulling him back in. So you now can root for the Patriots south. South Florida that is. 😂

Hahaha

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Brady
    Fournette
    Gronk
    Evans
    Goodwin
    Ronald Jones
    Shady

I’d say your probably right. This team is Legit Stacked, I’m not so sure about the D but the offense should score at will. And good point about NOT dealing with 30 Int’s, Brady is set up to win here and It could be their Division.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    The Patriots are going to make playoffs, and in the playoffs they are going to make some noise. This much is definite.

Belichick is the greatest coach in history, He needs 44 wins to surpass Shula. He is going to make that happen, and I don't think he intends to take the scenic route.

Not this year. He maybe great but in Cleveland without weapons he was Lombardi in New Orleans.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

I hate to disagree with @thisistheshow but I’m thinking Big Bill posts a 5-11 Season. Playoffs are not going to happen in my opinion. Their receiving corps is actually worse than it was last year which is hard to believe

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I hate to disagree with @thisistheshow but I’m thinking Big Bill posts a 5-11 Season. Playoffs are not going to happen in my opinion. Their receiving corps is actually worse than it was last year which is hard to believe

To be specific, I said playoffs...not win the division...😂 I was implying scrappy underdog wildcard , getting in, and being the team nobody wants to face.

• Options

Two things happened. Washington cut Adrian Peterson. He’ll land somewhere that needs a veteran presence in the locker room. Cleveland is deep but they come to mind.
    Oft injured Sean Lee of the Cowboys starts the season on IR. He has to be the most injured player ever. His history looks like a years worth of patients in the ER. Too bad, great talent but he hasn’t been available.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Sports Illistrated has the Bills finished 3rd in the AFC East. I have it with an unnamed source the writer of that article was high on crack and immediately check into rehab or went into a deep cave to hide from the Bills Mafia.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Two things happened. Washington cut Adrian Peterson. He’ll land somewhere that needs a veteran presence in the locker room. Cleveland is deep but they come to mind.
    Oft injured Sean Lee of the Cowboys starts the season on IR. He has to be the most injured player ever. His history looks like a years worth of patients in the ER. Too bad, great talent but he hasn’t been available.

Lee would have been in the HOF if not for the injuries, imo.

And I REALLY hope the Patriots don't sign Peterson.

• Options

@2dueces said:

I'd grade this an F , too many syllables for haiku and the other kind of poems usually rhyme

pick on or the other and have it on my desk by 8am or im afraid its summer school for you duecey

• Options

Another thing happened. The Bears announced Trubisky would be the starting QB for the season opener.
    They also announced, 'Why in hell didn't anybody tell us to draft Mahomes or Deshaun Watson ahead of this guy!'

• Options

@Darin said:
    Another thing happened. The Bears announced Trubisky would be the starting QB for the season opener.
    They also announced, 'Why in hell didn't anybody tell us to draft Mahomes or Deshaun Watson ahead of this guy!'

Don’t feel bad, Buffalo traded the 10th pick in that draft to Kansas City. Duh!

W.C.Fields
  • Options

2dueces- I heard on NFL network that Josh Rosen had been cut and for a minute I was thinking why
    did Buffalo cut him? Had the last name mixed up. :s
    I think Buffalo has their QB of the future, hope Allen and the Bills have a good year but not too good!