Home Sports Talk
Options

The strange world of sports memorbilia

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's just have a look at some of the things that have been bought and sold in the strange world of sports memorbilia.

Comments

• Options

Back in 2002 a piece of Gum chewed by Luis Gonzalez sold for $10,000. If you'll remember, Luis Gonzalez was the guy who got the walk off game winning hit in the 2001 World Series.

• Options

Ty Cobb's dentures sold for $8,000 in 1999.

• Options

Robert Griffin III dislocated his ankle in 2014 and had to wear a cast. That cast was signed by all of his teammates and auctioned off. It sold for $1,522.

• Options
    edited August 26, 2020 10:25AM

I hear you.

• Options

Curt Schilling's bloody sock from game 6 of the ALCS between the Red Sox and Yankees sold for $92,613 back in 2013.

• Options

In the 2000 World Series, Mike Piazza shattered a bat and a piece of the bat flew towards Roger Clemens. Roger picked up the broken piece and threw it towards Mike Piazza. Both benches cleared. The broken piece that Clemens threw sold at auction for $47,800.

• Options

The playoff beard that David Ortiz had for the 2013 World Series winning season. He shaved the beard after the season and the trimmings sold for $10,877.

• Options

Yes, you're right.

• Options

Hank Aaron's 755th home run ball was sold for $650,000

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weird stuff, most of the really nice stuff is definitely fraudulent in my opinion.

• Options
    edited August 26, 2020 11:08AM

Nolan Ryan's jockstrap was sold for $25,000. No, I'm not showing a picture of it. It's disgusting and quite gross. I dry heaved just looking at it. I'll be scarred for life now.

• Options

Tom Seaver's toothpick. The toothpick was found in one of Tom Seaver's warmup jackets from his days with the Mets. He used to use a toothpick instead of chaw in his Mets days. It sold for $440.

• Options

Seattle Mariners pitcher Jeff Nelson listed the bone chips from his elbow surgery on Ebay back in 2002 and they brought in $23,000.

• Options

Chuck Norris probably won those bone chips. He's bad.

• Options

This one is crazy. A fan purchased a urinal from the Pontiac Silverdome. He then took the urinal to a mall where Barry Sanders was signing autographs and asked Barry Sanders to sign the urinal. He sold it at auction for $3,000.

• Options

Chuck Norris probably won that urinal. He's bad.

• Options

😂😂😂

• Options
    edited August 26, 2020 12:24PM

The McJordan was a special sandwhich that McDonald's sold back in 1992. It came with a special McJordan BBQ sauce and when the sandwhich was taken off the menu, all of the sauce was thrown away. Well, years later a McDonald's employee found a jug of the McJordan sauce and put it up for sale on Ebay. The employee figured it would be a collector's item. It sold for just under $10,000.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, what I spend on cards and unopened boxes and packs doesn't seem near as crazy now.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the strangest pieces of memorabilia that I've come across on ebay was a litle jagged triangle piece of plastic that had Tom Brady's autograph on,(kind of looked like a shattered piece from a slab). I had asked the seller about it and he said that onetime he had a chance to get Brady's autograph and the only thing he could find was a broken piece of plastic off the ground. I tried looking for the pic on ebay but that listing was from 2017 and long gone. I doubt it sold.

• Options

@erikthredd, that is weird. I can just imagine asking Tom to sign a piece of broken plastic. That is awesome! 😂😂

• Options

You know, rumor had it that Roscoe McDonald actually consumed most of that McJordan BBQ sauce. Roscoe McDonald is Ronald's little brother, and he's a mean little bastard.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pasted:

SlantyCouch.com Interview with David Rudd Cycleback

10) I read that you own(ed) a half-full bottle of shampoo and Chapstick that once belonged to Ted Williams. Unique to say the least! How did you come across those?

Soon after Williams’ death, I purchased two of his World War II era leather traveling cases. One had a gilded dedication showing that it was given to Williams as a gift in 1943 Boston. The inside of one case had his 1940s toiletries. This included his half-used lip balm (as gross as it sounds), shampoo, brush with hair, comb, chrome soap dish with soap scum old enough to be my dad, shaving mirror, fingernail file, shoe horn and more. I had never used a shoe horn and it was a while before I found out it was.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some lady won the mouthpiece and as soon as she picked it up from the auctioneer . . .
    . . . She put it in her mouth
    I was there. I saw this. It was gross.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarke442 said:

Some lady won the mouthpiece and as soon as she picked it up from the auctioneer . . .
    . . . She put it in her mouth
    I was there. I saw this. It was gross.

Luckily his jock and cup were not up for auction.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@doubledragon said:
    You know, rumor had it that Roscoe McDonald actually consumed most of that McJordan BBQ sauce. Roscoe McDonald is Ronald's little brother, and he's a mean little bastard.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Ever see Chuck play Pac-Man? (gold)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@doubledragon said:

Ever see Chuck play Pac-Man? (gold)

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 That is awesome!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2020 7:09PM

@doubledragon said:
    The McJordan was a special sandwhich that McDonald's sold back in 1992. It came with a special McJordan BBQ sauce and when the sandwhich was taken off the menu, all of the sauce was thrown away. Well, years later a McDonald's employee found a jug of the McJordan sauce and put it up for sale on Ebay. The employee figured it would be a collector's item. It sold for just under $10,000.

Did someone here order a McJordan Sandwich? I think I'd rather not know where the Yugoslavian meat came from lol.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Did someone here order a McJordan Sandwich? I think I'd rather not know where the Yugoslavian meat came from lol.

Never tried one. McDonald's beef is the same all over the world, they mix a specific percentage of US, Australian, and somewhere else I can't recall right now, heavily peppered in an to attempt to cover up the gaminess of the Australian beef, before making patties and distributing. If you've ever had straight Aussie beef, it's an unmistakable flavor in every McDonald's burger.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@erikthredd said:

Never tried one. McDonald's beef is the same all over the world, they mix a specific percentage of US, Australian, and somewhere else I can't recall right now, heavily peppered in an to attempt to cover up the gaminess of the Australian beef, before making patties and distributing. If you've ever had straight Aussie beef, it's an unmistakable flavor in every McDonald's burger.

It was bugging me, so I had to look it up ...
    While we remain one of the largest purchasers of U.S. beef, we also import USDA-inspected beef from New Zealand, Australia and, recently, Canada.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/about-our-food/our-food-your-questions/burgers.html#what-kind-of-beef-do-you-use-in-your-burgers