Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

UPDATE Submission: Italy/Kingdom of Napoleon 40 Lira gold coin Submitted. picture added

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 5, 2020 6:02AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

The coin is original with some dirt and has evidence of circulation to the point that I do not see 55 as a possibility

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

UPDATE Submission: Italy/Kingdom of Napoleon 40 Lira gold coin Submitted. picture added

This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options

I intentionally kept responses private... There are no right or wrong answers

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us see a photo.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

I don't have the ability to post pictures... I don't have the ability to use the agree like or lol function either. There seems to be some technical issue that has yet to be resolved

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I don't have the ability to post pictures... I don't have the ability to use the agree like or lol function either. There seems to be some technical issue that has yet to be resolved

Same here

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    The coin is original with some dirt and has evidence of circulation to the point that I do not see 55 as a possibility

If it was a part of your, also stabbed, collection or registry set - yes; otherwise no

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

What’s the approx market/cat value in EF?

• Options
    edited October 2, 2020 3:20PM

The NGC price guide for the coin is at 1300 in EF and 2250 in MS60. The auction records seem to reflect the EF cat at 1300 is very optimistic

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

At those price points, I would think certification makes sense, especially if coin has any question about authenticity or originality (i.e. if many were cleaned, polished, etc). In the series I collect, there's usually a large delta between raw and slabbed for these reasons.

• Options

Thanks for your insight.

• Options

By a vote of 9-3, the vote was for submission. I decided in a brief weak moment that the majority should get the benefit of the doubt so it was submitted. The coin returned from our host today with 7 other coins. Note my initial comment in that I did not see 55 in the cards.

Well... There is some benefit to being consistent even if you're wrong. The grade... AU55

• Options

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, I would have guessed 55.

• Options

Thanks and kudos to the PCGS Trueview photography team. The image captures the coin...