Home Q & A Forum

Advice on submitting raw proof kilo coins to PCGS for grading

Hi everyone,
I want to submit raw silver kilo coins to PCGS for grading. Obviously these are huge, heavy, fragile and some are very low mintage modern rarities. Any advice on the best / safest practice to do this? My hunch is to keep them in their kilo coin capsules, and then put the capsule in a heavy duty bubble wrap envelope, and then box them. Would PCGS return the kilo coin capsule after encapsulation? I want to do this right, has anyone else submitted kilo coins for grading here and have some advice. Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭

I do not want to be a smart a$$ but I would recommend calling the PCGS Customer Service.

J

• 4BR4BR Posts: 13

Lol, I tried to call them and couldn't get through. I just thought I would ask here to see if anyone had prior experience submitting kilo coins.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am probably wrong but I think there are size limits and a kilo is well beyond what I thought was acceptable for a slab.

Hi JBK,
    Both PCGS and NGC have, as an option, very large plastic slabs for kilo coins. The largest coins I have ever submitted for third party grading were the 5oz ATB silver pucks. I have checked some other references, there is a best practice for submitting kilo coin proofs. Also PCGS is running a special for 50% off add on services in which the add on cost of the Kilo slab is half price.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep calling.

• Yeah your not going to be even close to where you can be with a good grading

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

If nobody here has the answer you have no choice but to keep calling. I spent 40 minutes on hold the other day listening to a loop of the worst hold music EVER. When I got to be the next caller it hung up on me. I did the same thing again the next day and eventually got through.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Hi everyone, this is just a follow-up post for successfully submitting kilo coins to PCGS for grading. It's really easy, just leave the proof kilo coins in their original plastic kilo capsule, then place each one in it's own numbered zip lock 8"x10" bubble wrap envelope matching the submission form line. Then box them up really well with lots of bubble wrap, wrap the outside of the box with kraft paper tape, send it in registered and insured. In the special instructions, you can request the empty kilo capsules be returned with the graded kilo coins, that way you have the original capsule with the presentation box and cert. Don't forget, you have to check and pay for the over-sized slabs. Hope this helps anyone else who was unsure as to how to do it.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the diameter of your kilo?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

100mm diameter, 15mm deep

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please post a photo of the slab when you get it back - never seen one of those! 😮

• Hi, as requested, are the pics of a kilo coin in a jumbo PCGS holder, for size reference, there is a 3 rouble 39mm 1 troy ounce coin next to it: