Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Lafayette gold piece from the Monnaie de Paris

morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 24, 2020 12:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I know it's not technically not a U.S. coin but Lafayette did play a major role in helping Washington defeat the Redcoats. This is a first in a series commemorating the American Revolution and the quest for independence. "Vivre Libre ou Mourir" floats above the coat of arms on the reverse, meaning live free or die. 500 pieces minted, wonderful packaging, contains a 1/4 oz. of gold and haven't shot a coin in awhile, took me a bit to get back into it, good practice. Love the piece, looking forward to future releases. The Paris Mint did a wonderful job imo, enjoy.

Specs: 1/160th, f7.1, iso 100, center weighted metering, 2 second shutter delay, auto WB, 18" off coin, lights at 10 n 2.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Comments

• Options
    PghpetePghpete Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Nice, and great pictures!

• Options
    edited August 24, 2020 12:45PM

@Pghpete said:
    Nice, and great pictures!

Learned all my numismatic photography skills here on the U.S. Coin Forums, every bit of it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever.... That is an INCREDIBLE picture of that coin. Unbelievable detail.... Just beautiful. Thanks for showing us....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monnaie du Paris has some awesome designs! I look at their catalog from time to time.

Mintage 1000 flawless mirror coin ((apparent marks are result of bad photographer (me))

• Options

@ricko said:
    @morgansforever.... That is an INCREDIBLE picture of that coin. Unbelievable detail.... Just beautiful. Thanks for showing us....Cheers, RickO

Thanks Rick, incredible, I'll take that. Two things make me feel good, shooting coins and running at the track, so much satisfaction in doing both.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t imagine being able to get a better pic of that coin. Those look professional! Nicely done.
    My favorite from Paris is the Libertas restrike. Do you have one of those as well?

• Options

@scubafuel said:
    I can’t imagine being able to get a better pic of that coin. Those look professional! Nicely done.
    My favorite from Paris is the Libertas restrike. Do you have one of those as well?

Thanks, my trusty Nikon D3100 has served me well, yes I have a couple silver restrikes from the Paris Mint.
    From a technical standpoint, there's a bit to much glare on the forehead and at the top rear of his head.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

The like button really wasn’t enough I would’ve preferred a “really love” button to express how cool the coin and your photographs are!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking piece with superb contrast with that cameo.
    Well done 👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file