Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Swift tribute to modern day Presidents...

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 23, 2020 12:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just was thinking, how quick the U.S. Mint reacts to any modern day President's death. Pertaining to placing them on U.S. Coins. Look at Kennedy, one year, or less, in fact! Roosevelt, Once again, It might have been within the same year of his death? Then of course, Mr. Eisenhower, his might of been 2 or 3 years? He was our last President to receive this honor. Lincoln's was nearly 45 years. Sure, I am aware of technology. So, since
Nixon's death, we had 4 pass on, what is the Mint waiting for? Yes, this topic was talked about before on the forum. Just wondering? :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You're right. I'm just speaking on traditional tributes. As a matter of fact, Has the U.S. ever Minted any denominational coin, without a portrait of a face? :*

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

    2c and 3c silver don’t have faces, off the top of my head.
    I wouldn’t mind presidential tributes on coins, if they would actually last for a year and then go away.

  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2020 1:20PM

    Ala, Susan B.? Although, she wasn't our President. Lol
    Yeah, the 2c/3c. Yes.

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2020 3:34PM

    @joeykoins said:
    Just was thinking, how quick the U.S. Mint reacts to any modern day President's death. Pertaining to placing them on U.S. Coins. Look at Kennedy, one year, or less, in fact! Roosevelt, Once again, It might have been within the same year of his death? Then of course, Mr. Eisenhower, his might of been 2 or 3 years? He was our last President to receive this honor. Lincoln's was nearly 45 years. Sure, I am aware of technology. So, since
    Nixon's death, we had 4 pass on, what is the Mint waiting for? Yes, this topic was talked about before on the forum. Just wondering? :*

    Joey baby. What are you smoking? You're waiting for a Nixon, Ford, Reagan, or Bush coin? Are you nuts? Hell will freeze over before that ever happens. You figure it out.. Seriously, you're starting to worry me.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 43,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Lincoln was assassinated while in office. Kennedy was assassinated while in office. Roosevelt died while in office. Do you see a theme?

    Ike is the only exception and he was a beloved WW II hero.

    Next President who dies in office MAY get a coin. The others will have to be satisfied with the Presidential dollars.

    All comments reflect the opinion of the author, even when irrefutably accurate.

  • Options

    Recent Presidents are NOT idolized, like once was.
    FDR was probably the last "great" President, with Reagan a close second.

    It's time to move back to non-person designs.
    Peace Dollar & Mercury Dimes, etc, were the last of the "great" non-person designs.
    Then, the presidents came.

    I think it's time to move forward.

    I can NOT honestly see a Nixon, Carter or Ford circulating coin. They just were NOT great Presidents. Ho-hum, at best.

    Just my opinion.

    Chris

  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2020 10:45PM

    @SilverEagle1974 said:
    Chris

    Thanks for your reply. Your first post, too. I do realize the current past Presidents probably don't measure up to our earlier ones but still, they did achieve to be President for a reason, right? I'm sure even our fore fathers had some issues as well. So, why can't they be attributed to be honored on a coin as well? Just my 2c.
    Welcome to the forum, buddy. I like your title Chris. I too, love the Silver Eagle. Did you know our past President Reagan signed off on this series? Lol. Thanks again, post often.- Joey :)


    https://silvereagleguide.com/legislation-impacting-american-silver-eagles/

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2020 10:46PM

    Delete, sorry

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @joeykoins said:
    You're right. I'm just speaking on traditional tributes. As a matter of fact, Has the U.S. ever Minted any denominational coin, without a portrait of a face? :*

    Bar Cent, Flying Eagle Cent (unless you count the face of a bird!).

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2020 10:46PM

    @SilverEagle1974 said:
    Recent Presidents are NOT idolized, like once was.
    FDR was probably the last "great" President, with Reagan a close second.

    We haven't had trying times to create great Presidents lately, at least as trying as they used to be.

  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Shield nickels.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 43,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @joeykoins said:
    You're right. I'm just speaking on traditional tributes. As a matter of fact, Has the U.S. ever Minted any denominational coin, without a portrait of a face? :*

    Bar Cent, Flying Eagle Cent (unless you count the face of a bird!).

    2 cent and 3 cent silver pieces, as well. Shield nickel.

    All comments reflect the opinion of the author, even when irrefutably accurate.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SilverEagle1974.... Welcome aboard....Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2020 11:37PM

    Too politicized, unfortunately, to get any recent or upcoming President on a coin. So it looks like Drump will have to be satisfied just having his likeness carved on Mt. Rushmore vs on any coin............. unless he privatizes the Mint, names one of his donors in charge, and starts printing them pre-humously....... ;)

    For my money, bring back the allegorical "Liberty" versions, like the Walkers & Mercs!

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 17,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @joeykoins said:
    You're right. I'm just speaking on traditional tributes. As a matter of fact, Has the U.S. ever Minted any denominational coin, without a portrait of a face? :*

    Time to buy a Redbook. ;)

    As others have said, FE cent, 2 cent, 3 cent silver, Shield nickel. (Not counting commems).

    I don't expect any more "instant" tributes like we had with FDR or JFK. (I don't really include Ike as he had been out of office for some time, and I think the new coin was queued up and needed a subject). Things are too polarized and political these days.

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file