Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you get your TrueView image to appear as an image in PCGS CoinFacts?

lsicalsica Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭✭

Hello Group

Philately will get you nowhere....

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think PCGS selects them. That's how one of mine ended up as the main image on the Coinfacts page for its variety (1998-S Proof Close AM Lincoln Cent, PR69 DCAM). I didn't even order TrueViews for it. This was years ago, and the method may have changed. I noticed a while back that a different coin was being used instead of mine, and my coin was further down in the list of images.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned that is up to the discretion of PCGS. Before the images were gutted every TV was available there, now there seems to be a vetting process only known to PCGS.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite a number of my cameo proofs were selected to be shown on Coin Facts. They didn't ask permission as they own the rights to the images, nor did they tell me they were selected.

I have no idea how it would work if you request to have an image selected.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

They get added to the CoinFacts image library automatically. You must opt out of sharing images for your coins to be invisible. Otherwise, within a week or so of images and grades, they are added.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just went back through the PCGS Registry to see if there was a reference I could add to my initial post, but could not find any. Therefore, I would suggest everyone take what I wrote above with a grain of salt in that I could be entirely wrong and simply not remembering correctly the changes that were put into place after PCGS gutted their incredibly valuable image library at the behest of crackout dealers who didn't want the public to know the new, high grade coin they were buying had actually been graded lower dozens of times.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lsica said:
    Hello Group

Did you check in CoinFacts that there is a link under the main top grade photo, a link to see more than 3 photos? There are a lot in some cases. Maybe yours is there? It also takes an extra week or so for mine to show up in general after submissions get back.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Cardinal has it right. You must have the coin in a set or showcase before it will populate the image in coinfacts. That is how PCGS determines whether or not you want your TrueView’d coins shared publicly.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:
    Here's the rules about the TrueViews:

If your coins are in the top 3 for that coin, then PCGS uses those for CoinFacts. Since PCGS takes the pictures, they have the right to do anything with them.

If your coins are NOT in the top 3, the only way to get your TrueViews into CoinFacts, you need to connect that coin with a registry set (even if it's a showcase set), and allow the public to view that set. In that manner, PCGS recognizes that you are allowing those coins to be pictured on CoinFacts and available to the public.

I believe virtually all of the dozens of TVs I've "commissioned" have automatically been added to CoinFacts, and most were not in the top 3 grade wise.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@cardinal said:

If your coins are in the top 3 for that coin, then PCGS uses those for CoinFacts. Since PCGS takes the pictures, they have the right to do anything with them.

If your coins are NOT in the top 3, the only way to get your TrueViews into CoinFacts, you need to connect that coin with a registry set (even if it's a showcase set), and allow the public to view that set. In that manner, PCGS recognizes that you are allowing those coins to be pictured on CoinFacts and available to the public.

I believe virtually all of the dozens of TVs I've "commissioned" have automatically been added to CoinFacts, and most were not in the top 3 grade wise.

Even if the coins are not in the top 3, if they’re listed in a publicly available registry, they will be visible on CoinFacts.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top three graded examples with TrueViews are shown on the CoinFacts page. As Cardinal wrote, if it is not one of the top three examples with a TrueView, then it will be populated in the "View More Images" section automatically if it is part of a Set Registry.

As such, calling a CoinFacts image a "Plate Coin" is a misnomer. The top CoinFacts images are not manually selected by PCGS except in special circumstances. A coin is simply shown as the top example if it is a) one of the top three coins with a TrueView, in which case it automatically populates, and b) in the case of a tie of two or more TrueViewed coins in the finest grade, it was the last coin to be photographed. Theoretically you could have a less-than-finest-graded coin take this spot, or one of the less attractive examples of the top grade.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2020 11:50AM

@cardinal said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@cardinal said:

Even if the coins are not in the top 3, if they’re listed in a publicly available registry, they will be visible on CoinFacts.

I only listed my Registry sets in late 2019. Prior to that, none of the coins were even entered into Inventory. I'm not sure why my experience would be different than anyone else's, but perhaps it is.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

This doesn't apply to World Coins, which don't have a "View More Images" section. The top three TrueViewed examples will still show, however.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, Most of my TV'd images are in Coinfacts as I have almost all in showcase sets. A recent addition (below) not in a set does not show up in Coinfacts.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2020 12:25PM

@Rexford said:
    This doesn't apply to World Coins, which don't have a "View More Images" section. The top three TrueViewed examples will still show, however.

If you go to PCGS Europe.com, click on population, then you can search for foreign coins. Then click on the number on the far left, and you will see the “Valueview” which looks a lot like CoinFacts. Then you can “View All Images.”

For example:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2020 12:30PM

@Cameonut said:
    Quite a number of my cameo proofs were selected to be shown on Coin Facts. They didn't ask permission as they own the rights to the images, nor did they tell me they were selected.

As mentioned, if the coin is one of the top 3 grades imaged, your coin is automatically added.

For some coins, PCGS will take a TrueView for you at no cost because they like the coin.

I don't think there's any way to request your coin not be added, only that it not be TrueViewed, which some top collectors request.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Cameonut said:

As mentioned, if the coin is one of the top 3 grades imaged, your coin is automatically added.

For some coins, PCGS will take a TrueView for you at no cost because they like the coin.

I don't think there's any way to request your coin not be added, only that it not be TrueViewed, which some top collectors request.

This makes perfect sense in my case as you and @cardinal have now pointed out. I have several Registry sets - one of which is linked in my signature line below.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

You get lucky. I used to have a few pieces up there. It's down to one or two now.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

I'll add that by "top 3" it chooses the most recent top 3 graded coins if the top pop is >3 way tie.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe the coin needs to be in a registry. It just needs to be in your publicly viewable PCGS inventory which tells PCGS you are okay with the world seeing it.

At least that's what I've noticed. I have inventory coins not part of my registries that appear in Coinfacts.
    Lance.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2020 8:21PM

This is AMAZING! I just noticed this. Out of the 14 coins I have in the True View selection. 9 are featured in the groups of CoinFacts! 9. 4 or 5 of the coins aren't even of high grades. Unbelievable. I'm not complaining I'm just overwhelmed PCGS would show my coins out of the many 1000's in the True View format. Thank you, PCGS. Lol. :) Here are the nine.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file