Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lost and Found!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 22, 2020 9:06AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Given all the posts on losing coins, I thought it would be nice to have a thread on the coins we've found that we lost :)

1879 Grant Parade Medal - J-CM-18 - NGC MS65 POP 1/1 - lost 2 months

The following was affected by Covid. I started having a holding period for my mail after I read Covid contaminants could last several days. I'd leave pieces out for several days before opening them. This is one of the first packages I stored this way, before I had a system, and I "lost" it for 2 months. I wasn't sure if I had received it and thought about filing a missing page claim. Luckily, I placed my trust in the system and I found the package 2 months later!

This was a relatively inexpensive US Mint medal but it is a pop 1/1 MS65 with only a MSS65PL being higher. So while it wouldn't have been a big loss financially, I still wanted it and would have preferred the medal much more than the money.

1793 Cent Gallery Mint O/S 1961 Half Dollar - lost 5 years

This is one I actually "lost" for like 5 years after moving. I knew exactly where it was at the old place and had no idea where I put it while moving. It's one of my first Gallery Mint pieces so I'm happy to be reunited with it.

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2020 7:33PM

Nice Color than Nice Error! :)
    Nice Find (Pun intended) Lol

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lost a High Relief Saint that I had won in an auction, Just by chance years later when getting ready to throw out some old papers I came across in the pile of papers ready to be discarded the mailer envelope with the coin still in it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have told this story before (some years ago). I had a treasured $5 gold Indian (1909D) in a 2x2... Acquired while I was living in Seattle. A few years later, I retired and moved East to NYS. I was careful (I thought) in packing my coins and other valuables. After getting settled in my new home, and about a year after arrival, I wanted to show a friend the coin. I could not find it. Checked the boxes, reviewed my packing lists, it was nowhere. Panic, pain, sorrow. About eighteen months later, I was looking for some specific ammunition I knew I had, and pulled out that packed box. As I removed the sought after material - WOW!!! - There was my coin, in the 2x2, between two boxes of cartridges. I still cannot figure out how it got there.... but I keep it close now. :) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file