Home Precious Metals

Couple questions on gold testing solutions

KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got my replacement gold testing solutions and had the thought, Why do these solutions need to be replaced? I know that they get old and not as useful anymore but how? Also this replacement is my first and was wondering how to depose of unused acids? Thanks. :)

Young Numismatist/collector
75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
instagram.com/klnumismatics

Comments

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have ounces or gallons?

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@taxmad said:
    Do you have ounces or gallons?

Just what’s left in my little JSP .5oz bottles

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

Then into the toilet (assuming not on septic) and flush. That small amount of HCl will be diluted to a harmless level before the bowl empties. You could mix some baking soda with a little water then add the acid (carefully). Use a decent sized glass container as it will foam up a bit. When it settles down - flush it.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dispose on your nearest ant hill.
    I'd keep it out of the water supply.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@taxmad said:
    Then into the toilet (assuming not on septic) and flush. That small amount of HCl will be diluted to a harmless level before the bowl empties. You could mix some baking soda with a little water then add the acid (carefully). Use a decent sized glass container as it will foam up a bit. When it settles down - flush it.

Who said it was HCl? Normally, nitric acid is used for testing gold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@PerryHall said:

@taxmad said:

Who said it was HCl? Normally, nitric acid is used for testing gold.

The bottle says the solution is made up of muriatic acid which is hydrochloric acid (HCL) and nitric acid (HNO3).

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

there has to be something on the net about neutralizing muriatic acid.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:

Seems like baking soda neutralizes hydrochloric acid like @taxmad said. Can’t seem to find any household product that will neutralize nitric acid.

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Seems like baking soda neutralizes hydrochloric acid like @taxmad said. Can’t seem to find any household product that will neutralize nitric acid.

Baking soda would neutralize nitric acid just the same as it will HCl.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

The amount you are disposing of is a very small quantity. Pour it into a quart or so of water to dilute, then pour into the sink and then run additional water into the sink to flush well.

While pouring into the toilet is an 'easy' way to potentially get rid of it.... bear in mind that mixing an acid with bleach will create a toxic gas... chlorine. So if you have something in the toilet like a chlorine tablet to help keep it clean.... don't pour the acid into the toilet bowl or your lungs may take a toxic hit.

----- kj

Thanks to all the responses. Will silver testing solution be the same? It’s red instead of being more clear.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pour into water for dilution and then pour it on the anthill. It's not enough to cause any problem for the environment.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Muriatic acid is used in swimming pools to adjust the ph... Two weeks ago I had to add a quart to my pool.. between super hot weather and heavy rain... also five gallons of chlorine... Two days later had it tested...perfect. Cheers, RickO

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember, acid into water not visa versa.
    Personally, I would not use the toilet as a waste disposal. Lot of people toss expired drugs into the sewer system & that is one reason waste plants have elevated levels of such things as estrogen in the tertiary water supply.
    Dilute(by pouring into) with 8oz water & spray a little oven cleaner into the container. Color becomes green and settles out. Pour off clear after settling. What very little slurry is left will dry in a day or two & scrape it into the trash. Just a harmless salt. But not table salt.

Have a nice day
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 1:44PM

some types of oven cleaner also contain a type of acid

of course, finding an example is hard right now... perhaps you'll find it similarly easy to avoid.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diluted muriatic cleans rust off of driveways. then wash away with garden hose.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.