Home Precious Metals

plated fake? corrosion..? weird gold

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2020 5:01AM in Precious Metals

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we get better pics showing the whole coin and both sides of the coin?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man let me try. It ain't mine.

edited August 20, 2020 5:00AM

Edit: pics up top

Looks like gold plated copper fakes that are heavily corroded.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve heard of some people burying their gold for safe keeping. Could it be the result of improper sealing of the container upon burial?

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not too familiar with gold maples but the lettering looks off. I’m saying fake.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like corrosion. Gold does not corrode.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020 5:53AM

@Downtown1974 said:
    I’ve heard of some people burying their gold for safe keeping. Could it be the result of improper sealing of the container upon burial?

Even buried, .9999 should not have reactions like that... it is a very unreactive metal. When removed from burial, I would expect perhaps some luster haze and dirtiness but not corrosion, even if the container they were in had leaks. I'd have to say fake.... gold plated metal of some sort.

If by chance they are genuine, they need to go to a smelter. They will be a hard sell otherwise.

----- kj
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold does not corrode, so likely plated base metal.....Cheers, RickO

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020 6:04AM

@tincup said:

@Downtown1974 said:

Even buried, .9999 should not have reactions like that... it is a very unreactive metal. When removed from burial, I would expect perhaps some luster haze and dirtiness but not corrosion, even if the container they were in had leaks. I'd have to say fake.... gold plated metal of some sort.

If by chance they are genuine, they need to go to a smelter. They will be a hard sell otherwise.

a question

Would gold stored in an iron box exposed to moisture pick up any iron atoms?

Central America rusty double eagles come to mind.

I’ll leave real/fake for these to the experts

It's all about what the people want...

@LukeMarshall said:
    a question

Would gold stored in an iron box exposed to moisture pick up any iron atoms?

Central America rusty double eagles come to mind.

I’ll leave real/fake for these to the experts

I showed this to my wife and the first thing she said was it looks like they were stored in a metal box that got wet.

It almost appears as if the metal water or whatever settled on the coin. You can see the discoloration still leaves the 9's and stuff intact.

This piece has two gouges in it that doesnt appear to break through any plating.

@derryb said:
    looks like corrosion. Gold does not corrode.

Correct, I believe either metals in soil, or from leaky copper pipes, or any other source did a number on these. You can see that the surface of the coins arent breached. All the thick stuff sits on top. It doesnt take chunks out of the rims. Where it appears jagged appears like sediment on top of a whole, fine, rim.

You can't see in any pictures that it removes gold or the surface is removed or anything. The base metal appears "all there" just with cakey layers.

I hope I'm not reaching here. Because it really does look like another metal sitting on top of the gold. Right..?

Seller has great feedback, has old original spiderman comics, fantastic four, Joe DiMaggio cards, golden era baseball, every stamp that ever mattered, figurines. It looks like they resell storage units or sell estates. Everything seems to check out otherwise...

not so for the bottom right coin. It is corroded.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just dont look right to me. I only have the later variety to comparing to in hand right now, but something is off about the hair/font/necklace beads. Does your local shop have a sigma to test them on? Its not perfect and really thick plating can throw it off. I still keep a binder of Fisch balance testers. Quite handy in a pinch. And no charging or batteries.

I'd like to see a pic of one of these coins sitting on top of an electronic scale showing the weight.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020 6:53AM

Easy way to verify is take that bottom right coin and cut it in half.
    It's not going to hurt the value.

@rte592 said:
    Easy way to verify is take that bottom right coin and cut it in half.
    It's not going to hurt the value.

Yep.. whether they're real or not I want them anyway so I can grab the specs. It's more important to me now to have an excuse to use my new digital calipers and XRF. Get some clear measurements, pictures, weights for the next guy.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet $10 they are fake

Collector, occasional seller

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020 2:29PM

Couple of big hits I've heard about from local dealers from a well known internet site. (Lol). I hesitate to name but we all know which site.

8 AGE's were fake but the buyer couldn't resist at $50 back of spot. Unfortunately he didn't check right away & the seller is long gone.

Also $1,000 Morgan lot that fooled a lot of people(just recently) until you set them on edge & they were about a business card thicker. Weighed correct, looked good, non magnetic, zero silver but just a little thick.
    Beware & check your purchases right away. Sellers may not even know that they are selling bad stuff.
    Edit; bad silver Morgans seem to have similar toning & sometimes cleaning marks but are sold as culls to the unsuspecting. Who can resist fake Morgan culls at $18? Seems like a deal.

Have a nice day

@Azurescens---Did you at least weigh them?

• Mike59Mike59 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Gold does not corrode, so likely plated base metal.....Cheers, RickO

I agree with Ricko, Gold is the most non-reactive of all metals and is benign in all natural and industrial environments. Gold never reacts with oxygen (one of the most active elements), which means it will not rust or tarnish. DONT BUY
    JMHO,
    Mike

MIKE B.

• davidkdavidk Posts: 274 ✭✭✭

They look like fake trash to me. .999 gold should never tarnish.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weigh em' . They look off.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • MWKMWK Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

These look like counterfeits. It could be the photograph but the reeding looks too shallow.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too much corrosion. Something's amiss. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

I'm still want to know how much they weigh. :#

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes... weight can help tell a lot regarding these.

----- kj
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the weight is......?

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also bet $10 that they are not authentic.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    edited August 22, 2020 11:28AM

@PerryHall said:

Chocolate center bleeding through the tin foil wrapper. :o

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i wouldn't do destructive testing unless I had someone who could do xrf or some such "real" testing and who'd pay you melt if they were real.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Blows my mind that people who collect/deal in coins and especially bullion don't even have the simplest of tools.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

edited August 22, 2020 11:08PM

Thanks for the confirmations guys.

I'm really looking forward to receiving them. I dont really ever get the chance to handle fakes. It's also fun following this guys behavior and messages as the Package makes it's way here. It's a good study in many aspects.

Some of the designs look different (she looks stern in some, boring smile in others).

So are these fantasy pieces? Malicious intent? Blurred line somewhere in the middle?

The person at least did halfway decent on the privy. Gotta givem that.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    Thanks for the confirmations guys.

I'm really looking forward to receiving them. I dont really ever get the chance to handle fakes. It's also fun following this guys behavior and messages as the Package makes it's way here. It's a good study in many aspects.

Some of the designs look different (she looks stern in some, boring smile in others).

So are these fantasy pieces? Malicious intent? Blurred line somewhere in the middle?

The person at least did halfway decent on the privy. Gotta givem that.

Well hopefully you paid fantasy prices and not 1oz gold maple leaf prices. Good luck.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

Oh yeah, if one of them was real I'd be making out.

I passed the info onto the seller and he has actually been really appreciative, authorized the return immediately and thanked me for not losing it. Had a few questions about them too. So I'm glad at least that part ended in a wholesome way, or hes lying or faking but whatever it was easy.

The tokens are 38mm across, 3mm thick and weigh 18.3g to 19.1g, and are plated gold over poorly mixed, very uneven brass. They cartwheel a bit and probably looked fantastic back in 1999 but it's clear in hand today that it's just bad metal that's been beat up.

I think anyone who has seen normal luster on a silver coin likely would have gotten A Very Bad Feeling from this.

From top to bottom, left to right, coins 2 3 6 and 7 have rotated reverses (counter clockwise to 5:00, all of them).

They are the slightly heavier ones.

Definitely not uniform or clean metal except the gold plating, which looks like never really held well on some.

so I'm pretty sure that means these are more likely bootlegs not souvenirs from the ANA or examples of the new Maple, gifts from the RCM, etc.

Every privy looks great from far away but in hand is enough to shake your head. The center of gravity is not the same between them all. Theres enough about them, I think, that beginners would have a hard time thinking they were legitimate after spending 5 seconds with them.

Two of them sounded different when hit in the center with the flat side of another coin.

Thank you all for your quick responses and information. This really is great. I know it sounds real stupid but I've been looking forward to something like this for some time. I've rejoined the hobby later in life and never got the show circuit and all that in my formative years. I'm so glad this worked out this way because it will literally save me thousands in the future.

Of course 1-3 or all being real would've been great, but this is a priceless experience for me, so I super appreciate you all hanging in there and following up and advising. It really means a lot that you care enough to look out, and also to spend your free time helping me.

Please let me know if theres ever anything I can do to help any of you. Thank you!!!

Whoops sorry for the quick bump. Forgot pics of the rims.

Thanks again everyone for all the very valuable help and insight.

• MWKMWK Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    The tokens are 38mm across, 3mm thick and weigh 18.3g to 19.1g, and are plated gold over poorly mixed, very uneven brass. They cartwheel a bit and probably looked fantastic back in 1999 but it's clear in hand today that it's just bad metal that's been beat up.

Do you mean 38 mm in diameter or 30 mm in diameter? From your photos, they look like they're 30 mm in diameter (the proper size) but maybe I've got much smaller hands than you. Good heavens, these are terrible counterfeits (and maybe that's a good thing). 33% lighter than they should be and, perhaps, nearly 30% larger? I certainly hope no one has ever been bamboozled on these.

No sorry I dont know how its possible but I'm terrible at math and basic things like area and circumference (I know).

There are 38mm from one side of the coin to the other side.

edited August 25, 2020 9:06AM

Everyone should have some basic knowledge and tools to help you make an informed decision/verify PREFERBLY before you buy.
    Scale, Calipers, etc...

Break the worst one in half.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

look at the poor reeding

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@rte592 said:

Break the worst one in half.

They're not my property to break. As much as I wanted to, they still belong to that dude, regardless of how I feel about these types of things.

I really wanted to. Especially because two coins sounded different when hit in the center with another coin.

Does consumer protection and banking suck everywhere else? If this guy tried anything funny, a consumer protection agent would be assigned to my case based on their specific skills and calling me in less than a business week, my bank would be alerted, and they'd already be in touch with PayPal. If that's like an Oregon only thing then that's awesome.

I just did that very thing to a guy ripping me off over KN95 masks, and reported him to the DOJ and FDA. My agent Carmen with OR Consumer Protection handled all the screenshots she was super happy to help serve as a go-between.

Swap Kn95 and FDA for "gold" and "secret service".

edited September 2, 2020 2:16AM

I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and the chance to redeem himself as a halfway decent person.

He tried to scam me out of the refund money.. send me $1k, I cancel resolution center, he cancels $1k.

Instead, I printed a shipping label the second I saw it and uploaded tracking on an overnight letter that tells him how bad of a person he is.

The transaction isnt cancelling. Lol. I dont have his money but neither does he. I reported his fraud to PayPal and I hope they freeze his $1k for six months when they ban his account.

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and the chance to redeem himself as a halfway decent person.

He tried to scam me out of the refund money.. send me $1k, I cancel resolution center, he cancels $1k.

Instead, I printed a shipping label the second I saw it and uploaded tracking on an overnight letter that tells him how bad of a person he is.

The transaction isnt cancelling. Lol. I dont have his money but neither does he. I reported his fraud to PayPal and I hope they freeze his $1k for six months when they ban his account.

and this is why PayPal Friends and Family is such a bad idea when buying metals...

@taxmad said:

and this is why PayPal Friends and Family is such a bad idea when buying metals...

. . . from someone you have no reason to trust.

Azure, the "pending" normally indicates money is being transferred from a bank to the paypal account, usually to complete a refund, can take up to seven days. Happens when a seller has sent the sales funds to his bank and then has to make a refund.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should not have gotten involved with these at any price. IMO it was asking for trouble to do so.

Collector, occasional seller